Cover Letter layout

Keren

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hi

I was hoping someone could kindly clarify a couple of things for me regarding the layout of cover letters (may be obvious questions, but best to be safe than sorry!!!). I am applying for some medium sized regional law firms and am required to send a covering letter with my CV/ or application form. Is it best to put my covering letter in the body of my email? If so, is there any need to write the details of the recipient and date etc? I think not, but may be wrong.

Thanks!

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
Hi

I was hoping someone could kindly clarify a couple of things for me regarding the layout of cover letters (may be obvious questions, but best to be safe than sorry!!!). I am applying for some medium sized regional law firms and am required to send a covering letter with my CV/ or application form. Is it best to put my covering letter in the body of my email? If so, is there any need to write the details of the recipient and date etc? I think not, but may be wrong.

Thanks!

I would write the cover letter in a separate document and then attach it to the email.

I would also address the letter to a member of graduate recruitment. Re dates/ address of the recipient, I don’t normally include this (especially if I had a word count) but some firms have different requirements. I suggest emailing graduate recruitment to clarify their preferences :)

Keren

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
I would write the cover letter in a separate document and then attach it to the email.

I would also address the letter to a member of graduate recruitment. Re dates/ address of the recipient, I don’t normally include this (especially if I had a word count) but some firms have different requirements. I suggest emailing graduate recruitment to clarify their preferences :)

Thank you :) that was my initial thought but I have seen mixed reviews about attaching the letter to an email! Noted re emailing graduate recruitment to clarify! I overthink these things and wonder if me emailing to clarify makes me seem like I’m unable to use my common sense but hopefully that won’t be the case :)

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
Thank you :) that was my initial thought but I have seen mixed reviews about attaching the letter to an email! Noted re emailing graduate recruitment to clarify! I overthink these things and wonder if me emailing to clarify makes me seem like I’m unable to use my common sense but hopefully that won’t be the case :)

No problem! I completely understand the overthinking, it’s so easy to do and I do it all the time. With queries like this that vary from firm to firm it’s worth asking just to be safe! Alternatively perhaps check the website to see if they give advice (although I’m sire you’ve done this)!

Keren

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
No problem! I completely understand the overthinking, it’s so easy to do and I do it all the time. With queries like this that vary from firm to firm it’s worth asking just to be safe! Alternatively perhaps check the website to see if they give advice (although I’m sire you’ve done this)!
It’s

I’m glad I’m not the only one, a lot of people come across very calm and collected when it comes to these things! With some websites they specify who to address it to and their position but other websites (for smaller regional firms) just say email your cover letter and CV... those are the firm’s that I over think about and then wonder if because they’re more casual then maybe I should send a covering email instead of attaching my cover letter. But - the only way to solve this is by asking you’re right :) thank you

• 🤝
Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It doesn’t really matter if the cover letter is an attachment or not if you are applying via email.

Just don’t write anything much more than the below in the email if you are attaching the cover letter. Also make sure the attachments are titled appropriately (J Booker - CV) and that your email has an appropriate heading (2022 Training Contract Application: Jessica Booker)

Dear Joe Bloggs,

Please find attached my cover letter and CV for your Training Contract 2022 vacancy.

Kind Regards

Jessica Booker

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask you- what are the different ways to show team working abilities for a student whose college has no active societies. Is a multitude of law firm internships, for example - 6-7 months of law firm experience enough to show that the applicant might have good teamworking abilities on its own? (considering the fact that he will obviously be working for partners/solicitors who assign work to him). If not then what can a student in my situation do? My college has 0 active societies. Please help. Thank you.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    @Jessica Booker Hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask you- what are the different ways to show team working abilities for a student whose college has no active societies. Is a multitude of law firm internships, for example - 6-7 months of law firm experience enough to show that the applicant might have good teamworking abilities on its own? (considering the fact that he will obviously be working for partners/solicitors who assign work to him). If not then what can a student in my situation do? My college has 0 active societies. Please help. Thank you.
    Do you play sport? Have you organised a group project/task/presentation? Have you worked in any other jobs that require teamwork? All potential avenues that could demonstrate team working abilities

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    It doesn’t really matter if the cover letter is an attachment or not if you are applying via email.

Just don’t write anything much more than the below in the email if you are attaching the cover letter. Also make sure the attachments are titled appropriately (J Booker - CV) and that your email has an appropriate heading (2022 Training Contract Application: Jessica Booker)

Dear Joe Bloggs,

Please find attached my cover letter and CV for your Training Contract 2022 vacancy.

Kind Regards

Jessica Booker

Thank you Jessica. I have sent a couple of covering emails previously rather than a cover letter as an attachment. However, as firms usually specify “please send a cover letter with your CV”, I thought I’m perhaps doing it wrong (mixed reviews). Have you ever accepted a covering email with a punctuation issue? I know proof reading is so important... I recently sent a covering email and checked it so many times... but before I sent it, I changed one word and didn’t put a full stop after it. The minute I clicked “send” I realised and was absolutely mortified! I have accepted that my application is most like going to get rejected but wanted to ask :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica. I have sent a couple of covering emails previously rather than a cover letter as an attachment. However, as firms usually specify “please send a cover letter with your CV”, I thought I’m perhaps doing it wrong (mixed reviews). Have you ever accepted a covering email with a punctuation issue? I know proof reading is so important... I recently sent a covering email and checked it so many times... but before I sent it, I changed one word and didn’t put a full stop after it. The minute I clicked “send” I realised and was absolutely mortified! I have accepted that my application is most like going to get rejected but wanted to ask :)

If any document has errors in it, it can be an issue. It is important to properly proof read. If it is just one missing full stop this may be ok, but if the written style could be stronger (eg long sentences, superfluous language, poor structure/flow) then these subjective things will be weighed up alongside the error and if just more weight/rationale to saying no.

99% of trainees at a firm I worked at had some form of error on their application (I mean scrutinised down to the level you can’t even imagine yet) - so errors still do get through. It’s going to be down to the respective strength of the rest of your application.

Reactions: Keren

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    If any document has errors in it, it can be an issue. It is important to properly proof read. If it is just one missing full stop this may be ok, but if the written style could be stronger (eg long sentences, superfluous language, poor structure/flow) then these subjective things will be weighed up alongside the error and if just more weight/rationale to saying no.

99% of trainees at a firm I worked at had some form of error on their application (I mean scrutinised down to the level you can’t even imagine yet) - so errors still do get through. It’s going to be down to the respective strength of the rest of your application.

Fantastic, thank you Jessica, I am keeping my fingers crossed :) I made sure my cover letter was straight to the point/always gave examples to prove my statements etc so... might be good enough/might not be!

I have another question (if you don’t mind). Most firms I am applying to ask for a cover letter and I can’t decide whether it should include the recipients name and address (takes up word space!!!). NicN helpfully suggest that I try email Graduate Recruitment and ask for their preferences. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Fantastic, thank you Jessica, I am keeping my fingers crossed :) I made sure my cover letter was straight to the point/always gave examples to prove my statements etc so... might be good enough/might not be!

I have another question (if you don’t mind). Most firms I am applying to ask for a cover letter and I can’t decide whether it should include the recipients name and address (takes up word space!!!). NicN helpfully suggest that I try email Graduate Recruitment and ask for their preferences. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!

I would always include their name and address - they are asking for a cover letter and therefore it should have all the usual formalities.

The exception would be if you are writing the cover letter into a application tracking system and that doesn’t allow you to format the text.

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    I would always include their name and address - they are asking for a cover letter and therefore it should have all the usual formalities.

The exception would be if you are writing the cover letter into a application tracking system and that doesn’t allow you to format the text.

Okay, thank you. As my contact details etc will be on my CV, am I safe to omit these from my cover letter?

VCTC

Premium Member
    Jan 27, 2023

Dear Joe Bloggs,

Kind Regards

Jessica Booker
    Hi Jessica,

I would like to ask would it make a difference if I am required to send a resume by email only?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I would like to ask would it make a difference if I am required to send a resume by email only?

Thank you!
    If the firm has asked you to only send a resume (no cover letter) then I’d advise the same approach. There is no need to really add much detail to you email apart from confirming what you are applying to and that you are attaching/including your CV.

Reactions: VCTC

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.