General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone on here that has commented or messaged me, this is going to sound very cheesy but all of the support on here really gives me the strength to carry on. I genuinely hope and pray that by the end of this cycle, every single person on this forum has found their success, which is inevitable because of the determination and intellect on this thread.

Also I may not pass the WG, but I did save my app answers in a general template form if anyone is interested in having a look for future reference?
    I'd be super interested!

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Hi Jess, would it be appropriate to write a cancelled Vac Scheme on my CV?

Also should I change anything from the CV I send for training contracts to the CV I send for paralegal positions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you all! :)

@Jessica Booker

I submitted my application at the end of December and have a vacation scheme next week. I have just realised I stated no to the first generation question when it should be yes.

It states in the Equal Opportunity section: 'This information will be used solely for the purposes of monitoring our equal opportunities policy and will not be visible to those shortlisting or interviewing candidates.'

Should I change this on my application to answer yes? I do not want to be disadvantaged in any way as the firm is very strong on diversity and inclusion.

Thank you!

Don’t worry about it now. It doesn’t affect your application in anyway.

Reactions: Law123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess, would it be appropriate to write a cancelled Vac Scheme on my CV?

Also should I change anything from the CV I send for training contracts to the CV I send for paralegal positions?

I think it would need its own section on a CV if you did put it on there.

I am struggling to think where it would fit on a CV really, it’s one of those things that is good for an “extra information” section on an application form but doesn’t really fit into a CV in the same way.

If you were applying with a CV and cover letter it could be briefly mentioned in the cover letter if spun the right way.

You may want to adapt your CV so it focuses more on the type of skills/work that a paralegal does. That can easily be done by just changing a bullet point or two, and toning down some language and amplifying others.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I think it would need its own section on a CV if you did put it on there.

I am struggling to think where it would fit on a CV really, it’s one of those things that is good for an “extra information” section on an application form but doesn’t really fit into a CV in the same way.

If you were applying with a CV and cover letter it could be briefly mentioned in the cover letter if spun the right way.

You may want to adapt your CV so it focuses more on the type of skills/work that a paralegal does. That can easily be done by just changing a bullet point or two, and toning down some language and amplifying others.
    Thanks Jess.

I see what you mean. It was replaced with an ‘Experience Day’ where we were given insight to different departments and had a couple of tasks to do. Is it a stretch to put it under work experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jess.

I see what you mean. It was replaced with an ‘Experience Day’ where we were given insight to different departments and had a couple of tasks to do. Is it a stretch to put it under work experience?

I’m not a fan of putting insight/open days in work experience (although it can work for some people). Given this instance, I would put in in as an entry in your work experience and in the description put something like “Having secured a X week vacation scheme, the programme was reduced to an insight day due to Covid-19”.

Just don’t put a really heavy description of what an insight day is. Focus on the tasks you were asked to do and this will be sufficient.

L777

Sep 25, 2019
    Thanks Jess.

Hey, was this the Mishcon Experience Day? If so, I have mine on Monday and would really appreciate any tips/advice! Thanks :)

Pinter

Standard Member
    Jul 22, 2020
    Hi!

Bit of an odd question for everyone. I had an interview this morning and the partner was VERY eager on what other offers I had or could get (delayed vac schemes). He was pushing me to actually feel very uncomfortable as he asked this 4 times in different ways. "Where else have you applied", "what would you do if you got 2 or more offers" "When do you expect to receive other offers".

This really threw me off as these were the first questions he asked and I feel the rest of the interview was a complete car crash as I was worrying whether he wanted me to say I had not applied anywhere else. Does anyone have any experience with whether saying you have had/will have vacation schemes actually is a negative? I can see it going both ways but I was hoping someone who has been through this can shed some light onto why these questions are asked.

Also it will probably stop me refreshing my email and ringing my voicemail every 10 min "JUST INCASE".

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi!

Bit of an odd question for everyone. I had an interview this morning and the partner was VERY eager on what other offers I had or could get (delayed vac schemes). He was pushing me to actually feel very uncomfortable as he asked this 4 times in different ways. "Where else have you applied", "what would you do if you got 2 or more offers" "When do you expect to receive other offers".

This really threw me off as these were the first questions he asked and I feel the rest of the interview was a complete car crash as I was worrying whether he wanted me to say I had not applied anywhere else. Does anyone have any experience with whether saying you have had/will have vacation schemes actually is a negative? I can see it going both ways but I was hoping someone who has been through this can shed some light onto why these questions are asked.

Also it will probably stop me refreshing my email and ringing my voicemail every 10 min "JUST INCASE".

Partners sometimes ask questions they know will make you uncomfortable on purpose. The point is to see how you handle situations/questions like that. I'd say how you came across answering them matters more than what you actually said i.e. it doesn't matter whether you had 0 or 5 other offers or VSs lined up. It definitely isn't negative to be honest about your success in securing other schemes - if I was in that situation I would say "Yes, I have offers at XYZ as well but at the moment your firm is at the top of my list because XYZ".

Don't overthink it - if he was pushing you on it you probably handled the initial questions well and he maybe just wanted to see how well you could back anything you already said!

Reactions: Paige M and Jaysen

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi!

I had a vacation scheme interview pre-Covid where the partner opened with these kinds of questions. It just developed into a discussion about how tough the market is to crack into, the typical "I don't think I'd make it if I were applying today" that every single partner ever has said, and a chat about which firms ask silly/stupid/annoying/interesting questions. I felt like it was partially to ease me in by talking about a topic that I clearly had done nothing but talk about for months (applications) and also to try to gauge whether the firm were doing the right things with their application process in light of how other firms are recruiting.
    I can't see any reason why where you've applied or what other offers you'll get would matter. If they want you then they want you, surely? I'd try not to look into it too much.

Reactions: Simon Evans

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi!

These are fairly standard questions for a TC, although surprised they were the first questions asked. They are also slightly different questions that are actually asking for different information, so I am not surprised that four different questions were asked. I have asked exactly those same questions in TC interviews before.

They are just trying to get to the logic of where you have applied and why to see if there is sense to your decision making. It doesn’t matter if you have applied elsewhere as long as there is logic to it. There is not an issue if you could be receiving other offers (or not) - people can always reapply next cycle if they don’t secure a TC.

I think you are over thinking/over worrying about this.

Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Partners sometimes ask questions they know will make you uncomfortable on purpose. The point is to see how you handle situations/questions like that. I'd say how you came across answering them matters more than what you actually said i.e. it doesn't matter whether you had 0 or 5 other offers or VSs lined up. It definitely isn't negative to be honest about your success in securing other schemes - if I was in that situation I would say "Yes, I have offers at XYZ as well but at the moment your firm is at the top of my list because XYZ".

Don't overthink it - if he was pushing you on it you probably handled the initial questions well and he maybe just wanted to see how well you could back anything you already said!

This really shouldn’t be an uncomfortable set of questions for any candidate to answer. It is important for anyone going to a Tc interview to be prepared for questions like this.

Reactions: Dheepa

Pinter

Standard Member
    Jul 22, 2020
    This really shouldn’t be an uncomfortable set of questions for any candidate to answer. It is important for anyone going to a Tc interview to be prepared for questions like this.

I think uncomfortable was probably the wrong word, I was expecting it but it felt like he was trying to see if I was lying, if that makes sense? I have been asked those questions before but (and it could just be me reading into too much) but at the time I felt he was trying to insinuate that I am lying which put me on edge a little.

Also, in terms of a firm which has numerous offices, if a candidates from other offices have heard back, even when you did the assessment centre with them, does that mean its likely to be a rejection? The AC was a week ago and then partner interviews so just curious how other offices can have a different system with the same lady in HR?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think uncomfortable was probably the wrong word, I was expecting it but it felt like he was trying to see if I was lying, if that makes sense? I have been asked those questions before but (and it could just be me reading into too much) but at the time I felt he was trying to insinuate that I am lying which put me on edge a little.

Also, in terms of a firm which has numerous offices, if a candidates from other offices have heard back, even when you did the assessment centre with them, does that mean its likely to be a rejection? The AC was a week ago and then partner interviews so just curious how other offices can have a different system with the same lady in HR?

I suspect you are reading too much into it.

Separate offices will have different decision making processes and different people involved and so the timescales between offices can be very different. it isn’t a rejection until you hear from them to say it is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.