General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Hi all, I had an AC with a US firm yesterday and I feel like the whole process went really well, there was just one part which I've been banging my head over.

I was having a discussion with a partner and an associate, I think the partner was at the time busy looking over a previous written exercise (so he might not have been paying attention as much, idk) and the associate asked what I like about US over MC firms, as I had previously done an experience at an MC firm. I basically said I prefer the US corporate focus and small team structure over the more full service, large team approach of MC firms. As I was saying it I kind of cringed internally, because the firm I was doing the AC with also sometimes describes itself as full service, so I'm afraid my criticism of the MC's full service approach might not be taken to too kindly.

Later in the inteview, in a completely unrelated question, the partner himself mentioned his firm's full service approach.

Do you think my comment re the MC could be a deal breaker?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I had an AC with a US firm yesterday and I feel like the whole process went really well, there was just one part which I've been banging my head over.

I was having a discussion with a partner and an associate, I think the partner was at the time busy looking over a previous written exercise (so he might not have been paying attention as much, idk) and the associate asked what I like about US over MC firms, as I had previously done an experience at an MC firm. I basically said I prefer the US corporate focus and small team structure over the more full service, large team approach of MC firms. As I was saying it I kind of cringed internally, because the firm I was doing the AC with also sometimes describes itself as full service, so I'm afraid my criticism of the MC's full service approach might not be taken to too kindly.

Later in the inteview, in a completely unrelated question, the partner himself mentioned his firm's full service approach.

You are over thinking it.

Everyone does it - but you wouldn’t be turned down on something like this alone.

Reactions: Simon Evans

EA

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020

I don't actually have an answer to your question.
However, I do have a general follow up question to anyone who could help. Is there a generic difference between US firms and MC? Or are the differences to teased out from the specific and unique features of individual firms instead of looking for a general difference between the two classifications?

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020
Seen some people on here getting disheartened after rejections and don't get me wrong I have been in the same position many times. I completely get being worried about outcomes of interviews and if you will get the job or not.

What I would say and this is something that has helped me a lot is to try and focus on the present and not worry about the future. I know it is easier said than done but as someone who has experienced mental health issues e.g. depression from always worrying about the future, focusing on the present moment and giving it your all is what I would say helps.

If you prep for an interview well (which I am sure everyone in this community does), go and give it your all and are constantly improving on a daily basis by focusing on your actions in the present moment, you will achieve your aims.

Have faith in everyone here.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't actually have an answer to your question.
However, I do have a general follow up question to anyone who could help. Is there a generic difference between US firms and MC? Or are the differences to teased out from the specific and unique features of individual firms instead of looking for a general difference between the two classifications?

In my opinion there are both. There will be some genetic difference between the two which ring true, but MC firms are not all the same and US firms are not all the same. It is important to try and differentiate firm to firm rather than just “tier” of firm.

Reactions: Zoo

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
Has anyone heard back from Slaughter and May? I anticipated a delay in response time due to the current climate, but I wasn't expecting it to be this long. I applied over 2 months ago now and I have seen that some people are even still waiting since the last cycle in January.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Has anyone heard back from Slaughter and May? I anticipated a delay in response time due to the current climate, but I wasn't expecting it to be this long. I applied over 2 months ago now and I have seen that some people are even still waiting since the last cycle in January.

I was rejected two weeks after the deadline, but my circumstances were unusual (I re-applied having had an unsuccessful TC interview in the past) so they probs did not even read my app :D

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    I think someone in this thread said that they cancelled this year's TC application window.

omg really? and didn't send an email out to those who applied already...how weird. I emailed them end of June and got a response saying they will get back to people after deadline of 13th July so have just been casually waiting for that to come around lol!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.