Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

What should I expect from a training contract interview post-VS (considering the VS was virtual).

Thank you

It may cover similar things that were asked at your VS interview. They will be looking for the same qualities/competencies as the VS and remember that different people will be interviewing you.

That said, I would expect it to be more reflective of your experience - it doesn’t really matter that it is virtual, you need to be able to demonstrate what you have learnt/gained from the experience and specifically why that helps you know that the firm is right for you for a TC perspective. It therefore may cover more about your longer term goals in terms of your career - what you hope to achieve/gain from a TC with them.

It may also cover what has happened since your VS interview. What you have achieved since then, how you have coped/adapted during lockdown too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I'm studying for a Master's in Law (which is a QLD) after doing a non-law undergrad. I just received my June exam results and got 85, 85 and 75. I've applied to a number of firms for training contracts and haven't yet heard back. Should I be making contact to tell them I got my results or not? I think my academics are my weakest area at the moment as I was hospitalised during my undergraduate final year and during my A Level exam period (I'm disabled) so I feel there have been a few times when I haven't performed perfectly. Will this update demonstrate that I can perform or will my update just annoy them or be ignored?
Thanks

Yes - given the circumstances and how strong your grades are, I would be sending any firm you haven’t heard back from an update via email with your grades. Just keep the email as brief and to the point as possible.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, @Jessica Booker and @Daniel Boden. I've been trying to see whether I can contact a partner or two at a firm, however was wondering how appropriate this would be?

I think you need to really have some form of connection to them rather than to come in cold and just ask for a week’s work experience. I have known some people use their alumni networks at uni to get these type of spots though.

Remember these work experience places are highly unlikely at the moment though given Covid - if you are looking for such a placement, it probably won’t happen until at least 2021 now and so it is probably advisable to wait to contact them about 8-12 weeks before you need the experience to happen.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

keira

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
Hi Jessica!

I recently graduated with a 2:1 in law, however my trusts law module received a low 2:2 due to a time penalty (I did online exams this year because of Covid). I otherwise have decent 2:1s in all other modules and a first in two other modules. Overall I received a 2:1, however this mark has negatively effected my average result.

Very broad question, but any idea as to how magic circle firms (excluding Slaughters as I think they ask for a high 2:1) would view this? Especially given the disruption from Covid? Is one 'bad' module forgivable in the context of other good work experience, good answers etc?

I'm also concerned that my Contract law module result is not the highest 2:1, do certain firms expect firsts/high 2:1s for this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, is there typically any advantage of doing an earlier AC date? I have a choice of two dates but unsure whether to go earlier or take the extra time to prepare. Thanks!

There won’t really be any difference - they will know roughly how many ACs to run to get to the number of offers they need to.

I would generally go with the earlier date though unless it was only a day or two away. Preparation for an AC shouldn’t take multiple days in my opinion.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

I recently graduated with a 2:1 in law, however my trusts law module received a low 2:2 due to a time penalty (I did online exams this year because of Covid). I otherwise have decent 2:1s in all other modules and a first in two other modules. Overall I received a 2:1, however this mark has negatively effected my average result.

Very broad question, but any idea as to how magic circle firms (excluding Slaughters as I think they ask for a high 2:1) would view this? Especially given the disruption from Covid? Is one 'bad' module forgivable in the context of other good work experience, good answers etc?

I'm also concerned that my Contract law module result is not the highest 2:1, do certain firms expect firsts/high 2:1s for this?

I wouldn’t worry about it for the vast majority of firms in a normal year where it is just one module.

Academics are all a bit weird this year - I don’t think many results are a true reflection of people’s abilities (that includes some higher than normal grades).

If firms care about contract, they just typically want a 2.1 grade in it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: dosblancos7

keira

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
Thanks for your response & reassurance! I agree, especially on top of the university strikes at the beginning of this year.

Another question. As a graduate, how should I respond to questions about the two/three year gap I will have in starting my training contract. My plan would be to brush up on my other language skills, paralegal, travel etc. Presumably SQE prep would start in 2022 for TCs starting in 2023?

Does the gap put me at a serious disadvantage or is it more about how I answer the question? For context, I received two vacation schemes over uni but sadly did not covert either into a TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your response & reassurance! I agree, especially on top of the university strikes at the beginning of this year.

Another question. As a graduate, how should I respond to questions about the two/three year gap I will have in starting my training contract. My plan would be to brush up on my other language skills, paralegal, travel etc. Presumably SQE prep would start in 2022 for TCs starting in 2023?

Does the gap put me at a serious disadvantage or is it more about how I answer the question? For context, I received two vacation schemes over uni but sadly did not covert either into a TC.

If you got VS offers, your contract grade clearly isn’t an issue.

Yes - you just need to provide rationale as to what you would do with your time. I would expect SQE prep to be a similar amount of time compared to the LPC - check with the firms you are applying to though. Some firms are still planning to put trainees through the GDL/LPC route for 2023 now.

Reactions: SG

keira

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
Sure, I will check with the firm. I was concerned because those VSs were based off my first year grades and not my third year grades (which is when I sat the Contract law exam). Many thanks for your help!

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I finished my GDL this summer and I'm struggling to find work at the moment. I had a vac scheme this summer and I was really pleased to get some more legal experience this year, but things have been very quiet since. My initial goal was to get a paralegal role, but this is proving to be very difficult in the current climate, especially as I don't have the LPC or any paralegal experience. I've joined an agency but they've said that things are very quiet at the moment. I then expanded my search to other legal-ish admin roles, and now I'm applying for more broad administrative assistant roles (which I have experience in). At this point, I feel like any commercial experience will be valuable and I'm getting a bit desperate for a job - for both money, professional development and keeping busy. I've applied for over 100 roles over the past few months and I've heard practically nothing back from anyone. I feel like I've not quite got enough legal experience for legal roles, but too much for non-law roles (even if I downplay my GDL etc., I think a lot of employers fear that my heart won't be in it and I won't stick in the job for very long, which is why I've been rejected from 3 jobs recently). I've been keeping busy by doing applications, preparing for next cycle, volunteering and building other skills, but I'm worried about having a gap in employment in my CV. If I ended up doing a non-legal role having completed my GDL, how would this look from a recruitment perspective? It just feels like I've hit a brick wall and I've really stalled, in relation to my career, post-GDL.

Also, is anyone else in the same boat after finishing their course?

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I was looking at the Clifford Chance application question, and it states, "You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of." While I understand that it says no work experience, can positions of responsibility include voluntary legal internships at a humanitarian aid organisation, or is it solely limited to roles at university?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I finished my GDL this summer and I'm struggling to find work at the moment. I had a vac scheme this summer and I was really pleased to get some more legal experience this year, but things have been very quiet since. My initial goal was to get a paralegal role, but this is proving to be very difficult in the current climate, especially as I don't have the LPC or any paralegal experience. I've joined an agency but they've said that things are very quiet at the moment. I then expanded my search to other legal-ish admin roles, and now I'm applying for more broad administrative assistant roles (which I have experience in). At this point, I feel like any commercial experience will be valuable and I'm getting a bit desperate for a job - for both money, professional development and keeping busy. I've applied for over 100 roles over the past few months and I've heard practically nothing back from anyone. I feel like I've not quite got enough legal experience for legal roles, but too much for non-law roles (even if I downplay my GDL etc., I think a lot of employers fear that my heart won't be in it and I won't stick in the job for very long, which is why I've been rejected from 3 jobs recently). I've been keeping busy by doing applications, preparing for next cycle, volunteering and building other skills, but I'm worried about having a gap in employment in my CV. If I ended up doing a non-legal role having completed my GDL, how would this look from a recruitment perspective? It just feels like I've hit a brick wall and I've really stalled, in relation to my career, post-GDL.

Also, is anyone else in the same boat after finishing their course?

It will look like you got a job in a major recession.

Avoid applying to permanent roles - you are much less likely to have success with these were it’s probably obvious you will be off on a training contract in a couple of years.

The market is exceptionally tough at the moment. I wouldn’t take it personally - it’s much more about the market at the moment.

My advice is to look for compliance admin roles - far fewer applications for compliance roles and still looks good on a CV from a legal perspective.

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: R29 and cgs97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was looking at the Clifford Chance application question, and it states, "You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of." While I understand that it says no work experience, can positions of responsibility include voluntary legal internships at a humanitarian aid organisation, or is it solely limited to roles at university?
Hi Jessica,

If you have listed the voluntary legal role in your work experience, you shouldn’t repeat it. If you haven’t then you can put it in this section. Extra curriculars don’t have to be at university only.

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
It will look like you got a job in a major recession.

Avoid applying to permanent roles - you are much less likely to have success with these were it’s probably obvious you will be off on a training contract in a couple of years.

The market is exceptionally tough at the moment. I wouldn’t take it personally - it’s much more about the market at the moment.

My advice is to look for compliance admin roles - far fewer applications for compliance roles and still looks good on a CV from a legal perspective.

Thank you Jessica, I really appreciate this!

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 9, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I’m reflecting on some of my past interview experiences and have found that I always trip up when answering: what is the role of a trainee.
I think it’s quite an obvious question so never know exactly what to say (I hope that makes sense).
Can I ask you what are recruiters looking for when they ask this question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I’m reflecting on some of my past interview experiences and have found that I always trip up when answering: what is the role of a trainee.
I think it’s quite an obvious question so never know exactly what to say (I hope that makes sense).
Can I ask you what are recruiters looking for when they ask this question?

They need you to understand what the day job is. What typical responsibilities you will have as a trainee, who you will work with, what your limitations will be etc. They are asking this so you know what you are letting yourself in for from the start of your career, and why you are going to be motivated to do the job that won’t always be the interesting or won’t have high levels of responsibility.

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 9, 2019
They need you to understand what the day job is. What typical responsibilities you will have as a trainee, who you will work with, what your limitations will be etc. They are asking this so you know what you are letting yourself in for from the start of your career, and why you are going to be motivated to do the job that won’t always be the interesting or won’t have high levels of responsibility.

Ah! I see that makes complete sense. Thanks Jessica!

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Do you have any general tips for written case studies? I was thinking of rough time split of 1/3 reading and 2/3 for the writing. Does that sound about right?

As a career changer it has been a while since I've done one...

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Do you have any general tips for written case studies? I was thinking of rough time split of 1/3 reading and 2/3 for the writing. Does that sound about right?

As a career changer it has been a while since I've done one...

Thanks!

I wouldn’t think that rigidly.

Allocating time is going to depend on the amount of material you need to read, what you are specifically being asked to do, as well as how much time you have to complete the assessment. For one case study the ratio could be 15% reading, 85% writing, while the next could be 50% reading and 50% writing. I think there are also other things you might need to do rather than just reading/writing - that might be “brain-storming”, creating a brief outline to work from, or other things that help you write with structure and logic.

Key tips:

- think carefully about who your audience is. Writing something for a client will be very different to writing something for a partner

- ensure you leave enough time to proof read everything at the end

- quality over quantity will always win out. Rushing out 30 different short points with no order/logic/structure will be less impressive than writing 6 different detailed points with a logic and flow.

- if you can identify 30 points, prioritise a smaller number (probably approx 6 or so) to talk about in detail. You can always reference less important points very briefly

(eg “we also need to consider the following points in more detail:
  • Point 10
  • Point 11
  • Point 12
  • Point 13)

- think carefully about where you have had to make assumptions and identify these where necessary

- think carefully about what actions might be needed by anyone involved in the case study (eg the firm/the client/other parties). Identify these and make them clear in your writing

- don’t write an academic essay. Writing styles in law firms are probably the polar opposite of how you write an academic essay (if you have been out of academia for sometime and working, you are probably at an advantage!).

- Make sure to use evidence to back up what you are saying where needed. This could be evidence from the case study or from your own knowledge

- consider an executive summary at the start of the document.

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
Jan 27, 2020
hi jessica, i wanted to ask about your advice on a written exercise. the exercise will be in the format of an email to be sent to the client based on information given to us during the AC. whats ur advice on the best way to approach this kind of exercise given the time limit (30 mins)? thank you!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.