General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
omg really? and didn't send an email out to those who applied already...how weird. I emailed them end of June and got a response saying they will get back to people after deadline of 13th July so have just been casually waiting for that to come around lol!

I would verify it with the firm, but the applicant said it on page 146 in this thread if you want to check what they said and maybe message them separately!

esme12

Standard Member
Apr 7, 2020
I've just found out that I've got through to the VS stage for DACB which I'm so pleased about but also pretty terrified :eek: does anyone have any general tips for virtual vac schemes and/or any resources that I can use to help me prepare for verbal reasoning/SJT/WG (I tend to perform pretty badly on these so would really appreciate any help!) thanks so much in advance - this is all exhausting isn't it haha!! keep going everyone! we've got this, you're all doing amazing xxx

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've just found out that I've got through to the VS stage for DACB which I'm so pleased about but also pretty terrified :eek: does anyone have any general tips for virtual vac schemes and/or any resources that I can use to help me prepare for verbal reasoning/SJT/WG (I tend to perform pretty badly on these so would really appreciate any help!) thanks so much in advance - this is all exhausting isn't it haha!! keep going everyone! we've got this, you're all doing amazing xxx

Congratulations! Try not to panic about this - it’s the worst thing you can do really.

Is it a virtual vac scheme or a virtual AC?

A firm is unlikely to use a verbal reason, SJT and WG. Do you know which one you will be doing? The advice will be different for each assessment

• 🤝
Reactions: T.W and Holly

gg999

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi!

Bit of an odd question for everyone. I had an interview this morning and the partner was VERY eager on what other offers I had or could get (delayed vac schemes). He was pushing me to actually feel very uncomfortable as he asked this 4 times in different ways. "Where else have you applied", "what would you do if you got 2 or more offers" "When do you expect to receive other offers".

This really threw me off as these were the first questions he asked and I feel the rest of the interview was a complete car crash as I was worrying whether he wanted me to say I had not applied anywhere else. Does anyone have any experience with whether saying you have had/will have vacation schemes actually is a negative? I can see it going both ways but I was hoping someone who has been through this can shed some light onto why these questions are asked.

Also it will probably stop me refreshing my email and ringing my voicemail every 10 min "JUST INCASE".

Very normal and common question to be asked, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable about this. I think everyone should be prepared to talk about what other firms they have applied to. A lot of firms ask this to understand your reasoning behind choosing their firm and to get a sense of where you may go if you decided to turn them down ect.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi!

Bit of an odd question for everyone. I had an interview this morning and the partner was VERY eager on what other offers I had or could get (delayed vac schemes). He was pushing me to actually feel very uncomfortable as he asked this 4 times in different ways. "Where else have you applied", "what would you do if you got 2 or more offers" "When do you expect to receive other offers".

This really threw me off as these were the first questions he asked and I feel the rest of the interview was a complete car crash as I was worrying whether he wanted me to say I had not applied anywhere else. Does anyone have any experience with whether saying you have had/will have vacation schemes actually is a negative? I can see it going both ways but I was hoping someone who has been through this can shed some light onto why these questions are asked.

Also it will probably stop me refreshing my email and ringing my voicemail every 10 min "JUST INCASE".

I can see why this was difficult. While it's common to be asked questions like these, you wouldn't necessarily know that unless you knew this was a series of questions likely to be asked at interview. It'll be very easy to trip up on this questioning unless you've thought this through.

Going forward, this is why it's so important to think deeply about why you are applying to a particular firm and your reasoning for applying to the firms you've applied to. The partner doesn't expect you to say you hadn't applied anywhere else, he wants to know you have a clear rationale and that you aren't just applying to any firm out there without knowing why.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Zoo

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hi!

Just to piggyback on the comments already made. You also don't need to list EVERYWHERE you've applied. Just select three firms that fit with the narrative that you are portraying. If a point you have made is that you want to train somewhere with a small intake, you don't need to tell them about your Linklaters/A&O app, but I'd highlight you applied for X US Firm, or wherever (as I mentioned) fits your narrative.

As everyone has mentioned - This is a common question. Next time, just make sure you are ready for it :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.