Open Days/Networking Events - My Recommendations & Strategy

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
In my first year, I'll unashamedly admit - I was an open day and networking event regular. Any excuse to visit a firm, eat some canapes and enjoy some free drink - I was there!

Having experienced countless talks and spoken with what seemed to be an infinite amount of graduate recruitment representatives and trainees, I feel I have a good idea of what your goals should be at these events and how you can get the most out of them.

So, here are my key takeaways to ensure you can utilise these events to your advantage.

KEEP A DIARY OF YOUR ENTIRE TIME AT THE FIRM
I have capitalised this as it is the most important. I cannot stress this enough. Anyone who gives a speech, write their name down and summarise the content. If you speak to a trainee, note their names down and the conversation you had. If you engaged in a negotiation exercise, write down what you did and what you learnt. When you finish the day, go home and type it up into a document. I have docs and docs and docs of open day notes for firms.

The reason you do this is for when you are making your applications. Given that firms receive thousands of applications for a handful of jobs, you need to stand out. You do not want to be the applicant who recites what is posted on their website or on Chambers Student. If you can tie something back to a tangible experience when writing an answer, you are ahead of the game - "I want to work at X as I heard that trainees get higher levels of responsibility. This was affirmed when I attended the open day and spoke with X who mentioned working on X...." It's more compelling, it shows you have engaged with the question/competency and it also shows that you care about the firm (as you have been there before). Likewise, when speaking about a transaction, it is incredible to mention the presentation given by X partner and what you learned from it as opposed to rattling off some press release you read. A prime example is the "HSF - Inside the Headlines" event. It's gold-dust.

Start attending events ASAP
You'll soon realise that these events generally run from October - March. You want to gain as much information as possible from these events to use in your decision-making for where to apply and to substantiate your claims in your application form. So, when Clifford Chance et al close their applications in December, you don't want to be attending an open day in February. My advice is to attend as many as you can in the first year to ensure you have gained the knowledge pre-application. Further to this, open days take time and commitment to attend. Your first year at uni counts for nothing so it really is the ideal opportunity go to them.

You are not going to be offered a job on the open day.
There is no need to act smart, competitive, or engage in one-upmanship. The truth of the matter is that open days and networking events are there for you to learn a little bit more about the firm. Enjoy it. One of the most embarrassing experiences I had is when a partner had to come to our table during a negotiation exercise and tell the other "team" that they had misidentified the point of the exercise - to negotiate (as they consistently low-balled and refused to budge in an effort to show off at the end when the deal needed to be struck). It was ridiculous. Don't be that person!

Use these events to achieve your goals
There really is no need to prepare a list of fancy questions to ask in an attempt to sound smart. Use these events to achieve your own goals. You do not need to ask anyone, anything, if you do not want to. You can just soak up the atmosphere and get a feel for the firm. There is nothing wrong with that. But, the most productive events will be those for which you have a clear plan. During networking, I always wanted to ask GR a set of specific questions to my own application and to find out about the nuances of the process. I would then spend most of the time trying to get to know the trainees and ask them about life at the firm. The only questions I would ever really ask a partner would be if there was an interesting transaction/case they had worked on recently that was public that I could review as I wanted to spend my time wisely when researching firms (i.e, not reading about an obscure derivative transaction that would have probably gone over my head).

The best time to network is at the end
If you are attending networking drinks, the best time to network is at the end. Primarily, this is because most people have left and the leverage between attendees and partners/associates/trainees is much, much higher. Often, you are left with 4 firm employees to 1 or 2 attendees in each group. This way, you can ask your questions and get a response that isn't subject to the pressure of time. Earlier in the event, you will see swarms of people crowded around employees and they want to ensure everyone has an opportunity to ask a question so their responses are often shortened. Personally, I spend the first half having a drink, chatting to people at the event and simply networking. Then I'll usually see who is free to ask some questions to.

Everyone is in the same boat - Just say hi!
Everyone is in the same boat at these events. No-one knows anyone, save for those who have already met each other at previous open days (you'll be surprised how often this happens!). Be friendly and just chat with people. No-one wants to make that first move, but honestly, no-one is going to tell you to leave them alone. I have met so many people at open days who I have added on LinkedIn and consequently met at other events. It makes it so much easier when you see a friendly face at the next event!

Does anyone else have any top tips or views on the above? If so, I'll edit the post and amend accordingly :)

Last edited:

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    The above is really helpful! In terms of actual open day applications, how would you advise not coming off as generic in the 'why are you applying to x open day' question? I feel like all applicants are likely to put how they want the opportunity to network etc.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The above is really helpful! In terms of actual open day applications, how would you advise not coming off as generic in the 'why are you applying to x open day' question? I feel like all applicants are likely to put how they want the opportunity to network etc.

Even in an open day application, you'd still want to tailor it to a particular firm i.e. why you are applying to CC's open day over any other open day.

Reactions: syw

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018

As a broad assumption - Most firms who hold open days simply provide places on a first-come-first-served basis. This is almost exclusively true for US Firms (anecdotal experience here). This is absolutely not the case for firms like CC, who last year advised they had over 800 applications for their open days, for which there was cumulatively 250 spots or so. In this respect, you must tailor your application, and this is also an excellent practice for your future applications.

Reactions: anulciak7

j2134

Star Member
    May 6, 2020
    First post on here! I have seen that Baker McKenzie has three different open day dates on their application portal, each uses a different application. Can I apply for all three, or should I use just one?

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    I believe you can only apply to one. You will be able to clarify this with GR no doubt. They may well advise that there is a space on the application to indicate availability to other dates if one is full perhaps.

Best of luck.

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Assuming you mean Monday which is the 7th - unlikely to hear back at the weekend!
    The email definitely said we would hear back no later than the 7th September. I agree- the weekend is unlikely! I’ve seen quite a few posts about BM open day and if people have heard back so I don’t think I am the only one who hasn’t heard anything!:)

j2134

Star Member
    May 6, 2020
    Hi!! Only just saw these replies. Also no response yet, hopefully will get something today. Let me know if you guys hear anything :) Is it usual for firms to only email a candidate if they have been successful, and not if they have been unsuccessful? (again, a bit of a newbie to all this!)

Amanda D

Sep 7, 2020
    Hey guys, I've applied for the BM Non-Law Open Day and got a similar 7th deadline to hear back but I still haven't. I am kind of nervous, do you guys reckon I would get a rejection email if unsuccessful?

Last edited:

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Whilst it’s natural to worry when you know people have heard back, law firms can get back to applicants in phases and we can never know what their process is. Try not to worry about the outcome until you’ve heard for sure, but I appreciate that is hard! No news is good news :)

Reactions: Amanda D, Flk10 and j2134

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.