General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

csyn

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
They rejected me back on July 15th!

Thanks so much! Yeah, still waiting to hear back from them having applied to their summer VS back in Jan, then they asked to consider me for their TC instead. Just got an email saying they are still considering me apparently? Just as I was about to write myself off as being rejected.

LPCStudent1

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2020
I had a interview last week where I had to do a presentation to a partner and then an interview with the same partner and two members of HR.

The partner was really impressed with my presentation he even said I covered it in great depth and he didnt ask any questions. The interview was a complete disaster (if you need a good laugh today then here it is) the lever on my chair broke and the chair went really low and whilst I started the interview quite well I then had to pretend like nothing happened and squat for 35min. I started to panic and some of the answers I gave were really not that great and now I feel like I just undid all the hard work in half an hour.

Is there any chance of getting an offer just based on the presentation or are interviews deemed more important? I know theres really not much I can do but it is eating away at me and I feel like I should have just told them and got another chair. The fact its been quite some time is also making me think its going to be a rejection and I have seen a girl get an offer from their northern office so I am not expecting much but its the hope :(

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
I had a interview last week where I had to do a presentation to a partner and then an interview with the same partner and two members of HR.

The partner was really impressed with my presentation he even said I covered it in great depth and he didnt ask any questions. The interview was a complete disaster (if you need a good laugh today then here it is) the lever on my chair broke and the chair went really low and whilst I started the interview quite well I then had to pretend like nothing happened and squat for 35min. I started to panic and some of the answers I gave were really not that great and now I feel like I just undid all the hard work in half an hour.

Is there any chance of getting an offer just based on the presentation or are interviews deemed more important? I know theres really not much I can do but it is eating away at me and I feel like I should have just told them and got another chair. The fact its been quite some time is also making me think its going to be a rejection and I have seen a girl get an offer from their northern office so I am not expecting much but its the hope :(
In one interview, I said "Bank of America Meryl Streep" instead of "Bank of America Merrill Lynch" - I was still offered the position. You never know...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I’ll bet now you are over analysing how it went and focusing too much on the negatives you perceived happened.

Typically you’ll need to perform well in all assessments of at least be able to demonstrate a stronger performance in the same competencies across different assessments.

LPCStudent1

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2020
In one interview, I said "Bank of America Meryl Streep" instead of "Bank of America Merrill Lynch" - I was still offered the position. You never know...

HA! I would probably go bright red if that happened to me :oops:

I had leg doms for 4 days after, felt like I squatted an arctic truck :D

I’ll bet now you are over analysing how it went and focusing too much on the negatives you perceived happened.

Typically you’ll need to perform well in all assessments of at least be able to demonstrate a stronger performance in the same competencies across different assessments.

This is too true. Im not sure if its just me but I tend to only remember the questions I think I answered badly and have NO recollection of the ones I did well on.

Just another question if you dont mind; if a firm has interviewed you 3 times prior to this (Pre VS, Post VS, Pre final interview) do your performances in the before assessments get tallied up or is the decision based solely on the final presentation and interview?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I had leg doms for 4 days after, felt like I squatted an arctic truck :D

This is too true. Im not sure if its just me but I tend to only remember the questions I think I answered badly and have NO recollection of the ones I did well on.

Just another question if you dont mind; if a firm has interviewed you 3 times prior to this (Pre VS, Post VS, Pre final interview) do your performances in the before assessments get tallied up or is the decision based solely on the final presentation and interview?

it’s not just you - everyone does it. It’s too easy to fixate on the things that you think went badly when in reality more times than not you don’t know how someone else perceived the situation.

Next time - explain your chair has broken and ask for a couple of minutes to get a different chair ;)

Generally would only be your performance post VS. It’s only if something is borderline performance in one specific area/competency that a recruiter may choose to look at previous information, to see if there is better evidence there.

Last edited:

TLC20

Standard Member
Mar 15, 2020
Been invited to do a McQuaig Mental Agility Test for Trowers & Hamlin direct TC; has anyone had any experience of doing one of these?

Hey yes done it last year theres a few free practice tests online just Google - speed and accuracy is key 50 Qs expectation is not to finish all Qs in 15mins a score in mid 20s - 30s is average. The percentile factor will impact overall ranking but generally much better test than WGT. Good Luck

Reactions: SaulGoodman

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
Hey yes done it last year theres a few free practice tests online just Google - speed and accuracy is key 50 Qs expectation is not to finish all Qs in 15mins a score in mid 20s - 30s is average. The percentile factor will impact overall ranking but generally much better test than WGT. Good Luck
I always thought Trowers application process was the initial app and then if successful, AC invite. So is it initial app, test and then AC? Thanks

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
It was awful! I immediately cringed and one of the interviewers started to laugh. I said "don't laugh at me, this is the worst moment of my life", so he laughed harder. It went entirely over the head of the other interviewer. But then it all worked out.
I also fell over in an interview for a TC last year - I think they thought I was drunk and I absolutely did not get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.