How to answer ''Tell us about yourself question''?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Any tips on how to answer the above question without sounding so boring? Trying to prepare for my upcoming VI so any tips and guidance would be welcomed :)

I think at least some of your answer to this question will be inevitably boring as you want to tell them about your education/current stage. The rest doesn't have to be though. I suggest going through your background/extra-curriculars/jobs and thinking about what you're proud of/what you enjoy/what your best experiences are. Ideally you can condense that into a couple of sentences. Although, that's far easier said than done!

Reactions: Salma

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I don’t really think it’s a question you can make interesting or be different with. Unless you’ve had an interesting gap year or job or extra circular. Your CV/profile is what it is and you can’t fake it. Everyone’s gone through a similar background with uni, etc.
    What I will say though is I think you just have to consider carefully how the question is phrased. If it’s more aimed at CV/profile. Or more at getting to know you as a person.
    If the later then you can talk about interests and activities.
    No harm in playing it safe and just going cv/profile route.
    I think this is one where it’s might be unnecsssry to view it as a trick q and over think.

Reactions: Salma

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Not sure if this is the right place for the question, but I didn’t want to create another thread. Hopefully, it gets some answer.

I’ve come across the following two questions on an application and I’m a bit thrown on how to structure the answer.

There’s one question why you/why you’re different (I.e tell us about you). Then there’s a second question which essentially is what characteristics or qualities do you need here and tell how have you demonstrated.

They both feel very similar. The concern is how to separate out information for the two questions. I feel like I’m going to end up having nothing left to fill the why you’re different part.

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    The former requires you to speak about your extra-curriculars/achievements etc.

The latter requires you speak about the skills you have. Ascertain what skills the firm values (Needs) and align that with your experiences and how you’ve demonstrated these skills.

Reactions: Jaysen

yanerlim

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Instead of just going through your CV, I would suggest mentioning things you couldn't put into your CV such as the experiences you've gained from your extracurricular activities, what skills you've learnt and developed etc, and how your role has benefitted the organisation as a whole

Reactions: AJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.