Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hi all!

Pretty quick and mundane question I have to ask. Are bullet points a safe option when filling in the "brief summary" parts of an application form?

I'm thinking the work experience section but also sections such as Jones Day's Extracurricular Activities, which ask "Please give a brief summary of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements gained at School, University, Law School or in employment" and "Please give a brief summary of any activities you've been involved in outside academic study or work over the last four years." Both have word limits of 100.

Does everyone else generally use bullet points for work experience (unless the firm has explicitly stated not to) and would anyone advise I use bullet points for these two questions or go with narrative form?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi all!

Pretty quick and mundane question I have to ask. Are bullet points a safe option when filling in the "brief summary" parts of an application form?

I'm thinking the work experience section but also sections such as Jones Day's Extracurricular Activities, which ask "Please give a brief summary of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements gained at School, University, Law School or in employment" and "Please give a brief summary of any activities you've been involved in outside academic study or work over the last four years." Both have word limits of 100.

Does everyone else generally use bullet points for work experience (unless the firm has explicitly stated not to) and would anyone advise I use bullet points for these two questions or go with narrative form?

I would say narrative form but just make it very concise.
Personally, I use narrative forms for work experience sections and the extra curricular activities, I feel like the paragraphs flow better and it is easier to follow and read (ironically).

kaveesha

Star Member
TCLA Writer
Mar 22, 2018
I second prose form but am facing the same problem with the NRF application where word limits are 150 words.

I wonder - does anyone have any advice if for these Qs on extra curricular activities with short word counts, if you should talk about more but give less detail on each, or expand on particular activities but only write a couple.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I second prose form but am facing the same problem with the NRF application where word limits are 150 words.

I wonder - does anyone have any advice if for these Qs on extra curricular activities with short word counts, if you should talk about more but give less detail on each, or expand on particular activities but only write a couple.
Would also love to hear advice on this too!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Both work. I generally prefer a balance -- more detail for your best extra-curriculars (a couple of sentences is fine) but still try to highlight a variety of experiences.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Hazal

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.