General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Gibson have filled the intake from the vacation scheme so I don’t believe they’ll be looking at their direct TCs I’m afraid
Thanks. Are you sure? I emailed them when my exam results were released (after the deadline) and they emailed me this morning to say that they've updated my application - seems like a waste of time if they aren't even going to consider my application haha. Having said that, anything is possible with TC applications!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Thank you! Sat on HSF/FF currently. FF are seemingly doing callbacks for the VS's this week. This is likely why we have seen a flurry of activity with Direct TC's being progressed.
That's incredible! Well done! I attended Open Days at both of these firms and just loved them both so much - this would have been a really tough decision for me if I were in your position (although I'd definitely switch your tough decision for my zero offers haha). Congratulations!!

• 🤝
Reactions: D

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
That's incredible! Well done! I attended Open Days at both of these firms and just loved them both so much - this would have been a really tough decision for me if I were in your position (although I'd definitely switch your tough decision for my zero offers haha). Congratulations!!

Let me know if I can assist with apps and stuff :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thanks. Are you sure? I emailed them when my exam results were released (after the deadline) and they emailed me this morning to say that they've updated my application - seems like a waste of time if they aren't even going to consider my application haha. Having said that, anything is possible with TC applications!
    Yep, when I accepted my offer after the vac scheme they told me they'd made the rest of their offers to others on the scheme and weren't planning on increasing. That said, maybe they've changed their mind but that's what I was told a week or so ago. Good luck with your app!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: LegalNim and Adam Gilchrist

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just received from the GLP to say I've gotten through to the online interview stage. Feels like a marathon application process, and I'm pretty surprised I passed the CRT (I can never tell if I've bombed or smashed it).
    Was wondering if anyone has experience of the type of questions they ask for the GLP? Need to start prepping!

GLP will be very good at explaining what you will be assessed against. Civil service have to tell you which competencies you will be assessed against and this will be relevant to the job grade you are applying to.

You can then see the type of evidence they will be looking for in the following document: https://assets.publishing.service.g...e/436073/cscf_fulla4potrait_2013-2017_v2d.pdf

Just make sure you are looking at the right job grade.

Edit: - from their (awful) brochure

Making effective decisions – Using evidence and knowledge to support accurate, expert decisions and advice. Carefully considering alternative options, implications and risks of decisions. Communicating and influencing – Communicating purpose and direction with clarity, integrity and enthusiasm. Respecting the needs, responses and opinions of others. Working together – Forming effective partnerships and relationships with people from a range of diverse backgrounds, sharing information, resources and support. Delivering at pace – Delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive. Developing self and others – Focussing on continuous learning and development. Motivation – Having a clear interest in and motivation for the law, public service and the work of government lawyers.

Reactions: Simon Evans

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I can’t even believe I’m writing this but yesterday I got offered and accepted a TC with my absolute dream firm!!!! I could not be happier and just wanted to say thank you so much to this forum and everyone on here! Best of luck to everyone still waiting/applying :D
    Congratulations!!!! This is brilliant news :) :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: LuNo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I can’t even believe I’m writing this but yesterday I got offered and accepted a TC with my absolute dream firm!!!! I could not be happier and just wanted to say thank you so much to this forum and everyone on here! Best of luck to everyone still waiting/applying :D

Awesome - congratulations!

• 🤝

Popal

Distinguished Member
    Feb 25, 2020
    GLP will be very good at explaining what you will be assessed against. Civil service have to tell you which competencies you will be assessed against and this will be relevant to the job grade you are applying to.

You can then see the type of evidence they will be looking for in the following document: https://assets.publishing.service.g...e/436073/cscf_fulla4potrait_2013-2017_v2d.pdf

Just make sure you are looking at the right job grade.

Edit: - from their (awful) brochure

Making effective decisions – Using evidence and knowledge to support accurate, expert decisions and advice. Carefully considering alternative options, implications and risks of decisions. Communicating and influencing – Communicating purpose and direction with clarity, integrity and enthusiasm. Respecting the needs, responses and opinions of others. Working together – Forming effective partnerships and relationships with people from a range of diverse backgrounds, sharing information, resources and support. Delivering at pace – Delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive. Developing self and others – Focussing on continuous learning and development. Motivation – Having a clear interest in and motivation for the law, public service and the work of government lawyers.

Hello, I’m a paralegal in GLP - interviews are now based on the Civil Service success profiles - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles . The interview will be very scripted and based on the behaviours and competencies shown in the success profiles. I would recommend having an example for each, for example ‘name a time when you have delivered at pace’. Hope this helps!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Amazing news, well done!

• 🤝

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020

Amazing, massive congrats!! Which firm is it with if you don't mind me asking?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.