General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law_Grad1

Star Member
Oct 12, 2018
you're not alone, i'm turning 25 end of november and still no TC yet, but gotta keep pushing. i totally get the feeling old bit, trust me i feel that too. just believe my journey is mine and it must all lead somewhere if i am putting in the work

It's funny how lonely this process can make you feel, despite how many people you know must be struggling beside you. Fingers crossed we can both prosper in good time.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
If a law firm asks you to discuss 'a legal case that recently caught your attention its implications' on the application form, should you talk about one they worked on or can it be any case (obviously one that relates to their expertise though)?
I would discuss something that you can connect to the firm’s practice areas. This demonstrates your commercial awareness but also that you have done your research. Remember to write as if you were the client, What would the client want from the firm? Why is she/he contacting that particular firm?

• ℹ️
Reactions: billalchowdhury

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
No dice after my AC. I guess it's another round of applications for me.

Just turned 25, 2 years out of university - I really thought this round was my round. I finally had all my ducks in a row - I'd done a great vac scheme the year before, I'd got a great paralegal job at a great firm. Now I've lost my job due to Covid, had to move back home (EU) as a result and facing another round of applications.

I know I'm still young, but somehow today, after getting the news, I feel older than ever.

Really felt like I'd done a good job on the AC too. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I have a friend who is an associate at a big law firm who is 30 and did the very traditional route of vac scheme in second year then TC offer. Her boyfriend, who is also 30, just qualified this year. It is not a defining characteristic that he qualified a bit later, and now they're pretty much in a similar situation in life and I promise you, no-one is discussing this when they talk about him. People speak about him as an expert in his field because he used those 'extra' years to work hard.

Everyone has such different paths in life and I honestly think that what is meant for you will come to you if you work hard at it and stay true to yourself. I am also 25 and whilst it could seem to some that I could have qualified by now, I know that I have so much life experience and this journey proved to me how much I was willing to work hard over the past year. I burst out crying when I got the TC call and it was because I knew how much this meant to me because of the journey.

Honestly, life is a long journey and nothing should be a rush because things worthwhile are things worth waiting for!! You have nothing to prove to anyone except yourself, so just be as great as you know you are.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a law firm asks you to discuss 'a legal case that recently caught your attention its implications' on the application form, should you talk about one they worked on or can it be any case (obviously one that relates to their expertise though)?

can be any - doesn’t necessarily have to relate to their expertise either, although it’s always an opportunity to show your interest in what they do

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
you're not alone, i'm turning 25 end of november and still no TC yet, but gotta keep pushing. i totally get the feeling old bit, trust me i feel that too. just believe my journey is mine and it must all lead somewhere if i am putting in the work

Remember the average age of a trainee is 28!

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
No dice after my AC. I guess it's another round of applications for me.

Just turned 25, 2 years out of university - I really thought this round was my round. I finally had all my ducks in a row - I'd done a great vac scheme the year before, I'd got a great paralegal job at a great firm. Now I've lost my job due to Covid, had to move back home (EU) as a result and facing another round of applications.

I know I'm still young, but somehow today, after getting the news, I feel older than ever.

Really felt like I'd done a good job on the AC too. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I have a friend who is an associate at a big law firm who is 30 and did the very traditional route of vac scheme in second year then TC offer. Her boyfriend, who is also 30, just qualified this year. It is not a defining characteristic that he qualified a bit later, and now they're pretty much in a similar situation in life and I promise you, no-one is discussing this when they talk about him. People speak about him as an expert in his field because he used those 'extra' years to work hard.

Everyone has such different paths in life and I honestly think that what is meant for you will come to you if you work hard at it and stay true to yourself. I am also 25 and whilst it could seem to some that I could have qualified by now, I know that I have so much life experience and this journey proved to me how much I was willing to work hard over the past year. I burst out crying when I got the TC call and it was because I knew how much this meant to me because of the journey.

Honestly, life is a long journey and nothing should be a rush because things worthwhile are things worth waiting for!! You have nothing to prove to anyone except yourself, so just be as great as you know you are.

I won't be starting my TC until I'm 35 - There's lots of time guys. Just remember - we are all likely to work until 60 or so... just think how many years that is left :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi @Jaysen

Just wondering whether a new thread will be created for the next cycle?

Thanks!

Good question, this thread is far busier than the one we did last year.

Would you guys prefer a new thread just for this cycle?

As we grow, what I could do is start splitting these discussions into more specific threads.

Last edited:

XARA

Esteemed Member
    Jul 27, 2020
    Was wondering whether anyone had any points regarding the changing legal landscape? What are the main things that are changing in the legal landscape? I am trying to think of stuff aside from technology because I know that that tends to be something most people turn to initially

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Just waiting for them to use their graduate marketing slogan and ‘press play’ again, we’ll be able to apply for the new cycle before we hear back lol

They could easily have sent a blanket email update...to be honest I haven't been that impressed with their communication. I wasn't able to get feedback after my last AC there as they kept ignoring my emails and I just felt too embarrassed to keep asking.

Reactions: Deleted member 5185

Patricia K

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Project Lead
    Aug 9, 2020
    Hi everyone! I'm Patricia and I'll be joining as TCLA's new Project Lead.

I'm just about to start my final year at university and have recently completed two vacation schemes this summer. In addition, I've been fortunate enough to have received TC offers from two other firms. It's nice to meet everyone and I look forward to getting to know more of you soon :). Feel free to ask me any questions - I'm happy to help!

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: ophelia, KamTM, Zoo and 24 others

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    Does anyone know if/ when Deloitte is opening for its graduate programmes? The website says September but when I register my interest with them they send me links to several programmes and ends the email saying due to covid applications wont be open. Unsure if they mean for general vacancies or the graduate/ spring/summer schemes.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Does anyone know if/ when Deloitte is opening for its graduate programmes? The website says September but when I register my interest with them they send me links to several programmes and ends the email saying due to covid applications wont be open. Unsure if they mean for general vacancies or the graduate/ spring/summer schemes.

I heard from someone who works at Deloitte that grad recruitment has been scrapped this year. They said this in an "unofficial" capacity though so keep checking back for the summer schemes just in case

Reactions: 0603

T202

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 18, 2019
    Was wondering whether anyone had any points regarding the changing legal landscape? What are the main things that are changing in the legal landscape? I am trying to think of stuff aside from technology because I know that that tends to be something most people turn to initially

1. Tech & innovation
    2. Types of work. They will be mostly coming from restructuring, litigation & PE (other departments might be quieter); and a boom in both the tech and healthcare sectors
    3. Emphasis on employees' mental health // productivity
    4. Remote working & the future of the office sector in the City (is it worth paying those rents for a swimming pool that nobody is in?)

I've answered something similar; excuse the brevity due to the word limit.

Provide one or two commercial impacts of COVID-19 on the UK legal profession in 2020/2021 with an explanation of the impact(s)?

Lockdown restriction has exacerbated consumers’ habits from brick and mortar to digital commerce. Consequently, one of the big commercial impacts of COVID-19 is the continued rise of e-commerce. A new normal means that e-commerce is likely to have a big share of the economy.

First, transactions on e-commerce will bring about opportunities for the FinTech department in various City law firms. Most e-commerce activities are conducted either through mobile phones or web-based purchasing. Any fast-growing companies must strive to improve their payments services to achieve the goal of frictionless trade.

Second, retailers retain their customers on e-commerce through personalising web content, offers and promotions. Consequently, the emphasis on data privacy will have an impact on the focus of legal advice due to the associated reputational damages that could give rise to.

With this trend, it also means that a lot of the legal work from the retail industry has turned into restructuring and insolvency. Given the UK is entering into a recession, the following year will be characterised by insolvencies, even with a V-shape recovery. The new normal of social distancing that transformed our shopping habits define the types of work the legal profession will handle in the next year.

Last edited:

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    It would make the most sense for these threads to be cyclical rather than on a calendar year basis imo

Good question, this thread is far busier than the one we did last year.

Would you guys prefer a new thread just for this cycle?

As we grow, what I could do is start splitting these discussions into more specific threads.

I agree with Daniel; a new thread per cycle makes more sense

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.