Ask Alice G (Future Trainee at Freshfields) Anything!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Alice, I applied to a large firm for a direct TC on a whim after finishing in my second year exams, and I was surprised to receive an AC invite for them next week. I was wondering if you think I would be disadvantaged because I did not do a VS at this firm and instead opted for the TC, because I am still quite early in my career? If so, do you know any way I could frame an answer that would demonstrate otherwise? I was fortunate to have completed a virtual VS last month so I do have some 'experience' in a firm, but I am still worried that the firm would question me for not being experienced enough. Any help you could offer here would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

they wouldn’t have invited you to assessment centre if they thought you didn’t have enough experience or that you needed to do a vac scheme with them.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice, I applied to a large firm for a direct TC on a whim after finishing in my second year exams, and I was surprised to receive an AC invite for them next week. I was wondering if you think I would be disadvantaged because I did not do a VS at this firm and instead opted for the TC, because I am still quite early in my career? If so, do you know any way I could frame an answer that would demonstrate otherwise? I was fortunate to have completed a virtual VS last month so I do have some 'experience' in a firm, but I am still worried that the firm would question me for not being experienced enough. Any help you could offer here would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
Totally echo what @Jessica Booker has said! I think the two other candidates assessing with me on one of my ACs had never done vac schemes and were applying direct too so when you get the invite, don't let this bother you!

Just be really clear on your motivations and make sure you are super happy and confident in delivering answers on 'why law?', 'why the city?', 'why corporate law?', 'why an international law firm?'. Also, definitely think and prepare answers to things like 'what is your understanding of due diligence?' and 'what do you think our trainees do?' These questions will not be to throw you off but just for them to be happy that a) you know what the career entails and b) that you have thought hard about it and can deliver a clear narrative on your 'whys'.

Hope these little suggestions help and good luck! You might be surprised to have been invited but they already see your great potential - I was told by another candidate once to see ACs as a formality above anything else as it is just their final pass to see who you really are and what you are about. With that said, just be yourself! :)

skizzle

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 29, 2019
Totally echo what @Jessica Booker has said! I think the two other candidates assessing with me on one of my ACs had never done vac schemes and were applying direct too so when you get the invite, don't let this bother you!

Just be really clear on your motivations and make sure you are super happy and confident in delivering answers on 'why law?', 'why the city?', 'why corporate law?', 'why an international law firm?'. Also, definitely think and prepare answers to things like 'what is your understanding of due diligence?' and 'what do you think our trainees do?' These questions will not be to throw you off but just for them to be happy that a) you know what the career entails and b) that you have thought hard about it and can deliver a clear narrative on your 'whys'.

Hope these little suggestions help and good luck! You might be surprised to have been invited but they already see your great potential - I was told by another candidate once to see ACs as a formality above anything else as it is just their final pass to see who you really are and what you are about. With that said, just be yourself! :)

@Jessica Booker @Alice G Thank you both, this helps a lot :)

Reactions: Alice G

skizzle

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 29, 2019
Hi Alice, I was wondering whether you had tips for answering SJT interview questions? Specifically, I'm not sure how to go about answering this question, any guidance would be appreciated!

On Casual Friday, you are still in the office very late because you know that on Monday you’ll arrive late due to an upcoming weekend out. You want to make use of this time to work on something otherwise your work would start piling up. However, a partner that you do not know well comes to you and asks if you can immediately go to a client dinner with him as the person who was supposed to go had to cancel. You understand that these opportunities at this stage of your career do not arise often but you are busy and you are dressed this way. What do you do?

Lr1

May 8, 2020
On Casual Friday, you are still in the office very late because you know that on Monday you’ll arrive late due to an upcoming weekend out. You want to make use of this time to work on something otherwise your work would start piling up. However, a partner that you do not know well comes to you and asks if you can immediately go to a client dinner with him as the person who was supposed to go had to cancel. You understand that these opportunities at this stage of your career do not arise often but you are busy and you are dressed this way. What do you do?

On the clothes- everyone keeps a spare suit/dress/formal shoes in the office for these reasons! Regarding the work, you make time for it always, which means sacrificing your weekend if necessary. That's life in law!

Reactions: skizzle

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Alice, I was wondering whether you had tips for answering SJT interview questions? Specifically, I'm not sure how to go about answering this question, any guidance would be appreciated!

What were the options? These questions are impossible to answer without knowing what options you were presented with.

Even then, the answers are very specific to firms. The “right” answer for one firm could be the complete opposite for the next.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

On the clothes- everyone keeps a spare suit/dress/formal shoes in the office for these reasons! Regarding the work, you make time for it always, which means sacrificing your weekend if necessary. That's life in law!

this is where a lot of people go wrong with SJTs - assuming the right answer is you work harder/longer. For many firms that will be the wrong answer....

How I read the question:

- it references it is already “very late” - you aren’t going to be able to do the dinner and work tonight by the sounds of it

- the client dinner is not actual work, just an opportunity to network, and in an area that you have no connection to as you don’t work for the partner and you don’t really know them

- the reference to you are likely to have work pile up if you don’t work late tonight is important - this suggests that actual work you have to do is likely to be compromised if you don’t finish work this evening

- it doesn’t say what your “weekend out” is for.

- the partner has asked you while you are in dress down and doesn’t make any reference to needing to change clothes. It also doesn’t make any reference to the partner being in black tie or the like

to any firm that values work life balance or the ability for trainees to manage their various commitments well, I would expect one answer. Other firms whose culture might be one of longer hours and sacrificing your personal life, might be another answer....

But as I said, it really depends on the options you have been presented with for each question.

Last edited:
Reactions: csyn and skizzle

skizzle

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 29, 2019
What were the options? These questions are impossible to answer without knowing what options you were presented with.

Even then, the answers are very specific to firms. The “right” answer for one firm could be the complete opposite for the next.

This question was asked in an interview, so I don't think we are offered any specific options

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This question was asked in an interview, so I don't think we are offered any specific options

apologies - I just read it as an SJT rather than an interview.

Were you asked this in an interview or is it a question you have been told to prepare for?

If it is an interview question, it’s a god awful interview question :oops:

If I got asked this, I’d probably be bold and turn it around and try to ask the interviewer/assessor questions like:

For me to make a decision I’d need to weigh up the following: what time is the dinner expected to go on until, is the restaurant nearby, how important is it that I attend (sounds like I am only being asked as I am the only one in the office), can I go in what I am currently dressed in, will I be able to charge a taxi home, is there any compromise (eg: just going for pre dinner drinks)? I’d then need to consider external factors: by going am I going to be tired the rest of the weekend, what are my current energy levels like, am I going to let anyone else down by not doing what else I need to do between now and Tuesday (whether in work or in my personal life).

TLDR: it’s a great opportunity but it isn’t a necessity. Other stuff, whether within work or outside of it might be more important and so although I wouldn’t want to miss out on an opportunity, I may have to for the greater good and so would need to consider all the variables not presented in this hypothetical situation.

That’s why it’s a god awful question, especially for an interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Boden and skizzle

skizzle

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 29, 2019
apologies - I just read it as an SJT rather than an interview.

Were you asked this in an interview or is it a question you have been told to prepare for?

If it is an interview question, it’s a god awful interview question :oops:

If I got asked this, I’d probably be bold and turn it around and try to ask the interviewer/assessor questions like:

For me to make a decision I’d need to weigh up the following: what time is the dinner expected to go on until, is the restaurant nearby, how important is it that I attend (sounds like I am only being asked as I am the only one in the office), can I go in what I am currently dressed in, will I be able to charge a taxi home, is there any compromise (eg: just going for pre dinner drinks)? I’d then need to consider external factors: by going am I going to be tired the rest of the weekend, what are my current energy levels like, am I going to let anyone else down by not doing what else I need to do between now and Tuesday (whether in work or in my personal life).

TLDR: it’s a great opportunity but it isn’t a necessity. Other stuff, whether within work or outside of it might be more important and so although I wouldn’t want to miss out on an opportunity, I may have to for the greater good and so would need to consider all the variables not presented in this hypothetical situation.

That’s why it’s a god awful question, especially for an interview.

Thanks for your reply! This was asked in a Hogan Lovells interview: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/hogan-lovells-interview-2019-2020.2257/ Thank you for your insight, I will be sure to consider your tips for any SJT questions!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your reply! This was asked in a Hogan Lovells interview: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/hogan-lovells-interview-2019-2020.2257/ Thank you for your insight, I will be sure to consider your tips for any SJT questions!

The tips equally apply to interview questions - the responses will be unique to each firm.

Sounds like they use a lot of scenario based questions - some on the rest of the thread are far better IMO. It sounds like they aren’t really looking for an answer as such, but much more on how you would make the decision - otherwise they wouldn’t have the follow up questions.

Last edited:

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
Do you mean how long I had between getting the invite and doing my AC?

If so, I’m not 100% but maybe 2 weeks? I was able to select my AC date as soon as I got the invite- is this not the case for you?

Yes, that is what I mean, thank you!

No, I am still waiting to hear back since completing the WG. I am not expecting a response until next week at the earliest, I am just trying to gauge roughly when my AC will be if I am fortunate enough to receive an invite.

Thank you again.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Yes, that is what I mean, thank you!

No, I am still waiting to hear back since completing the WG. I am not expecting a response until next week at the earliest, I am just trying to gauge roughly when my AC will be if I am fortunate enough to receive an invite.

Thank you again.
Ah I see!! That was the case back in Feb/March time, approx two weeks :)

Really best of luck and please let me know how you get on!

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Hi Alice

I hope all is well :)

There’s a question on the A&O TC app that asks to describe a time you demonstrated adaptability and reached a positive outcome and did you do anything that you would consider innovative?

Do you have any tips on how I could go about this question for example?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice

I hope all is well :)

There’s a question on the A&O TC app that asks to describe a time you demonstrated adaptability and reached a positive outcome and did you do anything that you would consider innovative?

Do you have any tips on how I could go about this question for example?
Hi there!

This is a tough one I think but really it is a question of has there ever been an instance where a problem has presented itself and you have had to alter your approach/be flexible in order to overcome it with a positive result, and was your approach especially innovative?

Framing it like this - try to consider instances where you have been presented with an issue or problem and you have had to be flexible. Maybe this will give you a good starting point to think through your past experiences and examples.

I would try to use STARR in drafting this answer - situation, task, action result and reflect. The 'reflect' part might be if you were doing this now, what would you do to make your solution even more innovative or what could you have done better?

I hope this helps. Apologies if it seems vague, but the best answers to these questions are honest and authentic to you and your experience so just try to focus on those past experiences and I am sure you will come up with a good situation to discuss!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there!

This is a tough one I think but really it is a question of has there ever been an instance where a problem has presented itself and you have had to alter your approach/be flexible in order to overcome it with a positive result, and was your approach especially innovative?

Framing it like this - try to consider instances where you have been presented with an issue or problem and you have had to be flexible. Maybe this will give you a good starting to point to think through your past experiences and examples.

I would try to use STARR in drafting this answer - situation, task, action result and reflect. The 'reflect' part might be if you were doing this now, what would you do to make your solution even more innovative or what could you have done better?

I hope this helps. Apologies if it seems vague, but the best answers to these questions are honest and authentic to you and your experience so just try to focus on those past experiences and I am sure you will come up with a good situation to discuss!

Completely agree with this - some excellent advice here from Alice

• 🤝

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Hi there!

Framing it like this - try to consider instances where you have been presented with an issue or problem and you have had to be flexible. Maybe this will give you a good starting to point to think through your past experiences and examples.

Thank you, this was very helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.