Hogan Lovells Application 2020/21

Sophie111

Standard Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hi guys,

Hogan Lovells' application questions this year focuses on competencies.

I am struggling with this question.
We are a global firm that works together with mutual respect and collegiality. Describe a time when you have enjoyed collaborating with people from different cultures and backgrounds or with different personalities. What made the experience so enjoyable? (250 words)

Usually for teamwork competencies, I talk about overcoming a challenge together. But the question doesn't seem to be asking this, but rather what made it enjoyable.
I was wondering if anybody could provide some advice please.

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

Hogan Lovells' application questions this year focuses on competencies.

I am struggling with this question.
We are a global firm that works together with mutual respect and collegiality. Describe a time when you have enjoyed collaborating with people from different cultures and backgrounds or with different personalities. What made the experience so enjoyable? (250 words)

Usually for teamwork competencies, I talk about overcoming a challenge together. But the question doesn't seem to be asking this, but rather what made it enjoyable.
I was wondering if anybody could provide some advice please.

Thank you

You are on the right track. This is talking about how you are energised by working with others, particularly with a diverse range of people. If that is a challenging situation, that is fine, but it doesn’t have to be. This is talking about you, your energy and enjoyment.

Phoebe

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 25, 2018
Hi

I've noticed on the FAQ section of the Hogan Lovells graduates page it states 'Students are only able to apply to the firm twice (excluding first year applications).'

Does this mean that, as a graduate, I can apply more than twice?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi

I've noticed on the FAQ section of the Hogan Lovells graduates page it states 'Students are only able to apply to the firm twice (excluding first year applications).'

Does this mean that, as a graduate, I can apply more than twice?

Thanks

no - I think this is just bad phrasing and that they mean candidates rather than students.

Alexa.159

Jul 3, 2020
Hi,

For this question:

Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd? 250 words

When I explain any further information, can I link it to the role of a solicitor? Not sure if this is what the question is asking.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

For this question:

Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd? 250 words

When I explain any further information, can I link it to the role of a solicitor? Not sure if this is what the question is asking.

Thanks!

You could do, but I don’t think it is always necessary to do so.

The question is just giving you an extra opportunity to sell yourself.

Reactions: Alexa.159

emmaruss23

Sep 11, 2020
I took my Watson Glaser test for another firm and was told I was successful. Hogan Lovells has now asked me to do the test - will it automatically take my previous results or do I have to do it again?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I took my Watson Glaser test for another firm and was told I was successful. Hogan Lovells has now asked me to do the test - will it automatically take my previous results or do I have to do it again?
    You have to do the WG test each time with each different firm to which you apply. Different firms may have different versions of the WG tests, different pass marks/marking criteria etc. etc. and so these results do not get transferred across between firms

Emily Holly

Jan 11, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Further to your reply to Sophie above, when talking about energy and being energised by working in a team, are you referring to things like determination, positivity, etc. or what we bring to the team in terms of skills, such as effective communication? And is the STAR technique the best way to structure this answer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello!
    How long does it usually take to hear the outcome of the Watson Glaser? I took mine in early August and still haven't heard back, but they already opened applications for the 2023 TC..

depends on the firm and how the process applicants/look at the test/set a benchmark.

Could be instant. Could be until everyone else has completed the test.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Further to your reply to Sophie above, when talking about energy and being energised by working in a team, are you referring to things like determination, positivity, etc. or what we bring to the team in terms of skills, such as effective communication? And is the STAR technique the best way to structure this answer?

No - not what you bring, what the experience brings to you, so STAR isn’t appropriate in these instances.

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    As someone who graduated in 2018, would it be negatively perceived to discuss university anecdotes rather than examples from work for a few of these competency questions?

For two/three of the four questions, my university examples are better suited for what is being asked, but I'm wondering if they might be too outdated now.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As someone who graduated in 2018, would it be negatively perceived to discuss university anecdotes rather than examples from work for a few of these competency questions?

For two/three of the four questions, my university examples are better suited for what is being asked, but I'm wondering if they might be too outdated now.

not an issue to use them - I’d just make sure there is a balance across your answers with some evidence of recent examples

Reactions: J Wu

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    For the innovation question, I was thinking of using my experience as brand ambassador for a law firm - they have a policy against creating new social media pages so it has been quite hard to promote the firm and its events on campus, so I have suggested creative ways to combat this i.e. using existing social media accounts related to the uni and also for the firm to sponsor a society who can promote events on their behalf
    However, I have not yet seen the effects of these ideas, if that makes sense. So for example, I have not seen an increase in event attendance (as the events have yet to take place), or an increase in the number of people engaging with this social media (as it is all quite new) - is it still ok to talk about this example?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the innovation question, I was thinking of using my experience as brand ambassador for a law firm - they have a policy against creating new social media pages so it has been quite hard to promote the firm and its events on campus, so I have suggested creative ways to combat this i.e. using existing social media accounts related to the uni and also for the firm to sponsor a society who can promote events on their behalf
    However, I have not yet seen the effects of these ideas, if that makes sense. So for example, I have not seen an increase in event attendance (as the events have yet to take place), or an increase in the number of people engaging with this social media (as it is all quite new) - is it still ok to talk about this example?

I wouldn’t say the sponsorship element is innovative (unless you agreed some form of clever sponsorship) but the rest sounds appropriate

RB

Star Member
    Jun 7, 2020
    You could do, but I don’t think it is always necessary to do so.

The question is just giving you an extra opportunity to sell yourself.
    Hi Jessica,

On this question, I was planning to use this section to explain why I am attracted to Hogan Lovells as none of the other application questions (competency questions) allow me to tailor my answer to the firm. Is this the wrong approach to take - should I be telling them instead why they should hire me rather than me telling them why I want to work for them?

Thank you in advance!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.