Paralegal Role vs Internship at an Investment Firm

Which job should I take?

• Paralegal

• Internship

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sloth

Dec 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm having a difficult time making a decision.

I'm trying to decide between two offers. The first is an in-house paralegal position at a Fortune 500 company (consumer products). This is in Manchester where I am currently based and the role is very varied in the sense that I'd deal with IP, data protection, commercial contracts etc. It's a 6-month fixed term contract; however, there is a good chance of this becoming a permanent position and potentially a training contract down the line (although no promises). The team seems great.

The second is a six-month internship at an investment firm called Symbiotics - they're focused on impact investing and my title would be a "Junior Structuring Analyst". Again, their goal is to offer me a full-time role in the company following the initial six months. This would involve me relocating to London which isn't an issue as my sister has just moved there for work as well; however, because it's an internship, the salary isn't as great. The role seems really interesting as well.

After graduating from my LLB, I did one year working in M&A insurance as I thought this was good experience for TC application; unfortunately, I've only done one application since and will be working on more this year.

I'm struggling to decide - please help.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm having a difficult time making a decision.

I'm trying to decide between two offers. The first is an in-house paralegal position at a Fortune 500 company (consumer products). This is in Manchester where I am currently based and the role is very varied in the sense that I'd deal with IP, data protection, commercial contracts etc. It's a 6-month fixed term contract; however, there is a good chance of this becoming a permanent position and potentially a training contract down the line (although no promises). The team seems great.

The second is a six-month internship at an investment firm called Symbiotics - they're focused on impact investing and my title would be a "Junior Structuring Analyst". Again, their goal is to offer me a full-time role in the company following the initial six months. This would involve me relocating to London which isn't an issue as my sister has just moved there for work as well; however, because it's an internship, the salary isn't as great. The role seems really interesting as well.

After graduating from my LLB, I did one year working in M&A insurance as I thought this was good experience for TC application; unfortunately, I've only done one application since and will be working on more this year.

I'm struggling to decide - please help.
I think this is a bit of a tricky one as I always advise people to go with their gut. Whichever you truly feel is best for you and is the one you are most excited to take I would say go for.

What I will say is all experience is good experience in the eyes of recruiters at law firms. If one position is less desirable to you but you feel it will make you a better applicant for a TC I would entreat you to reconsider this way of thinking. The most seemingly opposite job role could indeed have more transferrable skills to law than one which, on face value, seems to be more similar.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Donzi

Star Member
Mar 9, 2019
I think it all depends on what you want to do in the future.

If a legal career is what you wish to pursue, go with the paralegal role. If it is finance, go for the internship.

Remember, do not always think of the present, think about the future and direct yourself towards your end goal.

If I were you, I would spend some time alone and think about what I want and what the best way of getting there is.

Hope this helps you! I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.