Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When putting the ‘city’ or ‘location’ for work experience entries, do we put the location as where the organisation/firm is based, or the location we were primarily based whilst operating in this role? (E.g: our home city if we were WFH).

I would put Remote Working in as a location if you weren't based in their office. You don't actually have to list the geographical location you worked from, as this wouldnt have any relevance really. But putting Remote Working would make it clear

Last edited:
Reactions: TChopeful2021

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Thank you for this! very useful for the WG tests, especially the inferences section which is my worst area.
But, all in all I'm reasonably ok at the Watson Glaser (i usually score 80%ish for them, with inferences usually letting me down lol), its more the verbal reasoning tests that I struggle with - the ones where they have some passage and ask you to whether a statement, related to the passage, is 'true', 'false', or 'cannot say'

Apologies - I completely forgot about those types of verbal reasoning and just thought you meant WG. 80% average is still fantastic though!

• 🤝
Reactions: Lawbour

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Thank you for this! very useful for the WG tests, especially the inferences section which is my worst area.
    But, all in all I'm reasonably ok at the Watson Glaser (i usually score 80%ish for them, with inferences usually letting me down lol), its more the verbal reasoning tests that I struggle with - the ones where they have some passage and ask you to whether a statement, related to the passage, is 'true', 'false', or 'cannot say'

I used to struggle a lot with this so here’s my tip – don’t make any inferences yourself. Read the passage and the statement carefully and ask yourself if the statement is in any way “contained” in the passage (but expressed with different words). If it is, it’s true; if the statement directly contradicts or misrepresents the passage, it’s false; in all other cases it’s cannot say.

For example, if a passage says that a city has been using more and more renewable energy and the statement says something like “the city has become much more environmentally friendly in recent years” then I’d personally pick “cannot say” unless there is something in the passage that explicitly links renewable energy with positive effects on the environment – I know in the real world this link exists, but one should remain focused on the passage. I know this may sound obvious but reminding myself that I must make no inferences of my own helped me get much better! Hope this helps!

orange32

Star Member
    Aug 12, 2020

Adding onto what @Stefano said, for T/F/CS questions, you should look for something that directly affirms or directly contradicts the statement. Otherwise, the answer is 'cannot say'. You do not rely on any 'general knowledge'.

From my understanding this is what distinguishes T/F/CS from T/Probably True/CS/Probably False/F questions (i.e. 'inference' questions in Watson Glaser), in which you are allowed to use 'general knowledge' to determine whether something is probably true or probably false.

Eg

'Most people who have salmonella experience symptoms of stomach ache and runny stool.'

Statement: 'It is common for people with salmonella to use the bathroom.'

In T/F/CS - cannot say. Nothing in the statement directly confirms or denies the link between salmonella & bathroom use
    In T/PT/CS/PF/F - PT, because most people who have stomach ache/runny stool will use the bathroom (general knowledge)

Hope this helps

Last edited:

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    Anyone else have any experience of applying as someone with Asperger's/autism. I'm really struggling getting past the tests and wonder if being on the spectrum has anything to do with it.

check if you are eligible to apply to NRF's Guaranteed Interview Scheme. People with a disability are offered an interview.

Last edited:

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Anyone have any tips for virtual open days?

Also, just spent 30 minutes writing an application for a virtual open day at another firm, only to find out after I submitted... it's for non Russell Group students only, and i'm very much at a RG uni :confused::D:D note to self- learn to read!!!

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    I don't post a lot, but I wanted to say that I was offered a TC with Slaughters today!

This is a really gruelling process, but one thing I've learnt from it that might help people is that you do only need one place to take a chance on you, out of the hundreds out there. Last year I applied to almost ten vac schemes and Slaughters was the only firm that didn't reject me INSTANTLY. Like, some firms honestly could not reject me fast enough. In my TC interview there I was specifically asked about this, and it felt embarrassing having to admit that no other place had even deemed me worthy of an interview. But different people are suitable for different firms and the right place will want you anyway!

A huge thank you to everyone on the forum, whose posts gave me so much motivation over the past year, and especially to Jessica for putting up with all my annoying questions. If anyone wants help looking over applications, cover letters etc, please message! Would love to pay it forward.

Last edited:

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    I don't post a lot, but I wanted to say that I was offered a TC with Slaughters today!

This is a really gruelling process, but one thing I've learnt from it that might help people is that you do only need one place to take a chance on you, out of the hundreds out there. Last year I applied to almost ten vac schemes and Slaughters was the only firm that didn't reject me INSTANTLY. Like, some firms honestly could not reject me fast enough. In my TC interview there I was specifically asked about this, and it felt embarrassing having to admit that no other place had even deemed me worthy of an interview. But different people are suitable for different firms and the right place will want you anyway!

A huge thank you to everyone on the forum, whose posts gave me so much motivation over the past year, and especially to Jessica for putting up with all my annoying questions. If anyone wants help looking over applications, cover letters etc, please message! Would love to pay it forward.

Wow congratulations!!

bel123456

Valued Member
    Jan 24, 2020

congrats!!! were you on the vac scheme? or did you apply direct tc this cycle? :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Nat000

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone else have any experience of applying as someone with Asperger's/autism. I'm really struggling getting past the tests and wonder if being on the spectrum has anything to do with it.

Are you asking for reasonable adjustments suitable for you and each assessment?

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    it’s not that it’s artificial - but saying what you don’t like is negative and that’s something to avoid in an application.

What you need to do is focus on the positives of what the firm can offer you that the more “prestigious” firm cannot.

A “why your firm“ question doesn’t need to be comparative though, but many applications ask why it’s different to other firms you have considered or applied to, and in those instances a comparative answer is required.
    Ah okay, thank you, that makes sense. So say I'm a candidate with a US VS on my CV, applying for a mid-market UK firm, and the "why us" question isn't comparative, it's just along the lines of "why are you interested in our firm". Would you at any point in this answer expect to see mention of what this firm can offer that the US one couldn't, or should that be kind of softly implied (e.g. by mentioning this firm has a cross-UK presence and full-service offering, something which many / most US firms lack)?

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    In your justifications in why you like the firm you're applying to, you could affirm parts you liked from the vac scheme firm like intake size or practice area etc. Or reaffirm another aspect and say how you did a vac scheme at X and that was an aspect you realised you didn't want from your TC. There's probably good ways to put it in your question which makes you look like you know what you want and are well informed about the career without being artificial at all.
    I see, thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.