CMS 2020/1 Opportunities

Tomas Levy

CMS Brand Ambassador
Sep 9, 2020
Hi Tomas, does CMS have any guidance on how to answer its application questions for CMS Academy? Some tricky questions! Would love some guidance, thank you

Hi STWO,

I think the most important thing for you to try and consider before answering is the question, 'What is CMS' unique selling point/place in the legal market?'. This is where most of the research is required. Despite firms appearing to be very similar, all firms definitely aim to uphold a certain appearance and approach that differs from their competitors in some crucial ways, and CMS is no exception.

You can probably glean from the style of the questions they pose in the online application that CMS is a tech-savvy, 'future-facing' firm, and is consequently looking for 'future-facing lawyers' who embrace change and development. When researching CMS' sectors and considering challenges and opportunities, definitely keep this in the front of your mind.

Following on from that, you should then think about some of the skills that are required in order to be a future-facing lawyer and try and convey them as best you can in your answers. Think along the lines of commercial awareness, interpersonal skills etc.

In short, make sure to research the firm as best as you can so you can tailor your answers accordingly.

I hope this helps!

NLaw18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Hi STWO,

I think the most important thing for you to try and consider before answering is the question, 'What is CMS' unique selling point/place in the legal market?'. This is where most of the research is required. Despite firms appearing to be very similar, all firms definitely aim to uphold a certain appearance and approach that differs from their competitors in some crucial ways, and CMS is no exception.

You can probably glean from the style of the questions they pose in the online application that CMS is a tech-savvy, 'future-facing' firm, and is consequently looking for 'future-facing lawyers' who embrace change and development. When researching CMS' sectors and considering challenges and opportunities, definitely keep this in the front of your mind.

Following on from that, you should then think about some of the skills that are required in order to be a future-facing lawyer and try and convey them as best you can in your answers. Think along the lines of commercial awareness, interpersonal skills etc.

In short, make sure to research the firm as best as you can so you can tailor your answers accordingly.

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for that Thomas, that is really helpful! Just as a sort of follow up question, would you have any advice as to what CMS is looking for in the question:

“How would you describe the relationship between law and business?”

I was wondering if they were looking for something more along the lines of what commercial law is or if it was more to do with the law firm as a business?

Reactions: Tomas Levy

Tomas Levy

CMS Brand Ambassador
Sep 9, 2020
Thanks a lot for that Thomas, that is really helpful! Just as a sort of follow up question, would you have any advice as to what CMS is looking for in the question:

“How would you describe the relationship between law and business?”

I was wondering if they were looking for something more along the lines of what commercial law is or if it was more to do with the law firm as a business?

Hi NLaw18,

Glad I could help!

To answer your question about the relationship between law and business, I think it is probably a combination of the two. CMS is clearly giving you the opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of their business model, but also how commercial law fits into that model.

As I said in my earlier answer, definitely remember CMS is future-facing. Think about trends in the business of law that are topical and ongoing.

I recently wrote a LinkedIn article giving some tips about the online application which you might find useful:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/writ...tom-levy/?trackingId=3YITiMkoRwaXMrS6QPAPgg==

I hope this helps too.

Reactions: NLaw18

NLaw18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Hi NLaw18,

Glad I could help!

To answer your question about the relationship between law and business, I think it is probably a combination of the two. CMS is clearly giving you the opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of their business model, but also how commercial law fits into that model.

As I said in my earlier answer, definitely remember CMS is future-facing. Think about trends in the business of law that are topical and ongoing.

I recently wrote a LinkedIn article giving some tips about the online application which you might find useful:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/writing-good-application-tom-levy/?trackingId=3YITiMkoRwaXMrS6QPAPgg==

I hope this helps too.

Hi Tomas,
Thanks a lot, that is really helpful. I will definitely check out the article on LinkedIn as well.

Kind regards
Nirali

Reactions: Tomas Levy

Tomas Levy

CMS Brand Ambassador
Sep 9, 2020
Hi all,

On 15th October, CMS is hosting a webinar entitled 'Researching the Right Firm'.

Click this link to sign up: http://ocply.co/cms2020-ucl-event-15oct

Open to anyone and every one, this webinar will help you develop important research skills and help you better understand, not only the application process to CMS but the traditional application process most firms in the UK utilise.

You will have the opportunity to listen and ask questions to the CMS Early Talent Acquisition team, professionals at screening applications and finding individuals that stand out.

The webinar is completely free, so places fill up fast. Make sure to sign-up ASAP!

CMS event 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NLaw18

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows/ heard back from CMS after finishing the WG test? I believe the next stage is the Video Interview, do CMS send those out on a rolling basis too or after the deadline has passed?

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi there,

I was wondering if the Watson Glaser test invite is sent to everyone or is it the second stage after your application has been screened?

Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.