Freshfields Workshop Applications

Victoria Muntean

Sep 4, 2020
Hello everyone! The Freshfields workshop application requires only a 400 words personal statement. If anyone has had experience in applying for this program in the past, do you have any advice regarding the letter? What to include etc. Many thanks!

LawGrad19

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
Hello everyone! The Freshfields workshop application requires only a 400 words personal statement. If anyone has had experience in applying for this program in the past, do you have any advice regarding the letter? What to include etc. Many thanks!
Yes this would be very helpful ! Perhaps @Alice G may be able to offer an insight as to what Freshfields is looking for here as opposed to what they look for in their TC applications?

Reactions: keira

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
I'm thinking of applying too but I'm guessing that its more of an Open Day application? So what do you want to gain/learn about the firm, why you were drawn to Freshfields in the first place!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys, it’s very much the same as the TC app just with a tighter word count.
They’d like you see:

Why commercial law?
Why Freshfields?
Why you? Note, why you will hopefully embedded in the above too since you’ll be relating back to your experiences.

• 🤝
Reactions: Victoria Muntean and keira

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hi @Alice G - did you split your answer equally between why com law/Freshfields/you or did you merge them?

I did a Vac Scheme with them last summer and separated Why Me, Why Freshfields, Why Law but in other applications I merged them. I guess that's the beauty of the Personal Statement as does give you the freedom to approach it however you want!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi @Alice G - did you split your answer equally between why com law/Freshfields/you or did you merge them?
    I separated them out but the ‘why me’ really ran throughout since I was constantly tying things back to my personal experiences and motivations and this is what the firm is keen to see I think and underpins why they say it should be 70% about you. It doesn’t mean 70% being a whole section on ‘why you?’ but instead a sustained reference back to you through evidence and explanation.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    I separated them out but the ‘why me’ really ran throughout since I was constantly tying things back to my personal experiences and motivations and this is what the firm is keen to see I think and underpins why they say it should be 70% about you. It doesn’t mean 70% being a whole section on ‘why you?’ but instead a sustained reference back to you through evidence and explanation.

That's really helpful thanks :)

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    no set rule but I always would - another example: Vacation Scheme/Training Contract looks more professional than vacation scheme/training contract

I dont agree. If you generally speak of training contracts dont capitalise but if you speak of a specific training contract or workshop, write it in capital letters.

HCY

Star Member
    Aug 17, 2019
    no set rule but I always would - another example: Vacation Scheme/Training Contract looks more professional than vacation scheme/training contract
    I dont agree. If you generally speak of training contracts dont capitalise but if you speak of a specific training contract or workshop, write it in capital letters.

Thank you both! Since it is a specific workshop I'll just write it in capital letters.

Reactions: NadineBusty

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.