Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How has everyone gone about structuring the 'What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require?' question? Surely, you should somehow demonstrate you have these skills rather than just list them.

There is no need to demonstrate the skills. Otherwise it would ask for you to do so.

The purpose of this question is to understand how much you understand the job of a trainee/lawyer, and whether you can consider that in a future looking perspective.

There is plenty of other sections in the Ashurst application for you to demonstrate the skills.

Reactions: Karin and NikkiT

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
There is no need to demonstrate the skills. Otherwise it would ask for you to do so.

The purpose of this question is to understand how much you understand the job of a trainee/lawyer, and whether you can consider that in a future looking perspective.

There is plenty of other sections in the Ashurst application for you to demonstrate the skills.

Thanks for your reply!

How would you recommend structuring this answer so it doesn't sound like a list?

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
Has anyone completed the Ashurst online tests (Values Fit, Cognify and Emotify)? They sound very different from online tests I have done previously and I would be so grateful for any advice on where to practice them or any general tips!

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Has anyone completed the Ashurst online tests (Values Fit, Cognify and Emotify)? They sound very different from online tests I have done previously and I would be so grateful for any advice on where to practice them or any general tips!

Values Fit is a pretty normal ‘culture-based’ SJT, if I remember correctly. Emotify is an emotional intelligence test, pretty doable. I found Cognify fairly hard! I think having some familiarity with video games indeed helps, but apart from that there’s really not much you can do to prepare I think. It was good fun though, didn’t really feel like a real test (which I think is exactly the point).

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Values Fit is a pretty normal ‘culture-based’ SJT, if I remember correctly. Emotify is an emotional intelligence test, pretty doable. I found Cognify fairly hard! I think having some familiarity with video games indeed helps, but apart from that there’s really not much you can do to prepare I think. It was good fun though, didn’t really feel like a real test (which I think is exactly the point).

Thanks for your reply!

Are the tests timed? Also, what is a culture-based SJT (in comparison to a normal SJT)? I think Cognify is the one I am most worried about, is any of it maths-based? From online it looks like games like Tetris but not sure if that's right :D

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019

I literally just completed this!

Values Fit: Takes around 10 minutes - you are asked to rank the importance of 20 statements regarding what you desire in a job/the workplace, and it's fairly straightforward.

Cognify: You can't prepare at all, and being completely honest I found this really hard (particularly due to the short time limits)! There's a 'tetris' game, proofreading exercise, 2 maths games (which I found to be hellish because maths isn't my strong point), a pattern matching game and a problem-solving game.

Emotify: Consists of two separate assessments designed to test your emotional intelligence (one where you match faces to emotions, and another where you read several situations and predict the person's emotional response). Pretty straightforward, but it does tell you the ones you get right and wrong as you go which is quite off-putting.

But all in all, it was quite fun compared to the usual test format!

Edit: The maths itself isn't particularly hard, but the time limits are really short

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Does anyone know what scores you have to get to pass to the next stage? Like if you don’t get in the top 20 you’re booted?
    Attended an event today with the firm. Grad rec said they do have a benchmark (although didn't say what it is) but also mentioned that if you did badly on just one section of the tests, they have the discretion to invite you to interview anyhow. If you did badly in all three parts then they won't read your application.

Hope this helps!

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    I have a tip for those doing the Ashurst tests - if you want to practice, it is useful to play similar 'brain' games on your phone, such as "Elevate". I sometimes play it and some of the exercises in the Elevate app are very similar to what you are asked to do in the test!

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Lawbour, YFA, Staples and 2 others

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Attended an event today with the firm. Grad rec said they do have a benchmark (although didn't say what it is) but also mentioned that if you did badly on just one section of the tests, they have the discretion to invite you to interview anyhow. If you did badly in all three parts then they won't read your application.

Hope this helps!
    Does anyone know whether there is a minimum score ( and what it is) you need to have in order your app to be considered? I scored quite low on Emotify and I am a bit disappointed because I spent ages writing the 1000 words CL.

Someone said the above a while back. Depending on how well the other two sections went, even a low emotify score shouldn't be disqualifying if the rest was strong but I guess that depends on how low it was.

Reactions: nicole88

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.