Willkie Farr Video Interview

RB99

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has recently completed the Willkie Farr Video interview and remember what the questions involved? I would sincerely appreciate any insights!

Reactions: Emi

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
I did it on the 20th and am waiting to hear back atm. It's 4 questions with 90 seconds to answer, and 20 seconds to think before you speak. Not gonna share questions purely because I think they're using fairly similar for each candidate, but will say if you've fully researched the firm then you should be fine. It's the same online software as Bird & Bird, if you've done before, and there's also a few practice tests you can download directly from them.

• ℹ️
Reactions: flower and (deleted member)

Soriginal234

Star Member
Dec 31, 2020
I was invited to the next stage (written exercise at some point in late January) on the 18th December, after completing the VI for their Spring Vac on 20th November.

Congrats! I only completed the VI last night lol so I guess I’ve got a bit of a wait until I hear back. Good luck for the next stage though

Reactions: OH

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 25, 2020
I would also be grateful for any Willkie VI tips and how to prepare?

Are you allowed to say whether the video interview was competency based or strengths based please?

I haven’t completed the VI yet. However, I don’t think it’s competency or strengths based ( I could be entirely wrong though ). The email says we’ll be questioned on ‘our motivations, understanding of law firms and commercial awareness’

applesnapple

• Jan 21, 2021
    From my feedback call, I will give this advice, make sure your answers are sufficiently detailed. It is better to go into more detail on 1 or 2 points and link it to you with examples, if possible, rather than trying to make several different points briefly.
    Amazing!! How would you describe your general experience of the video interview? Would you say it's similar to any other video interviews you'd done before?

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Amazing!! How would you describe your general experience of the video interview? Would you say it's similar to any other video interviews you'd done before?
    Yes, pretty similar. General experience was fine. I am really not a fan of video interviews but after failing Willkie's I really did a lot of practice before Weil's. Recording myself, watching it back and getting feedback helped. Remember that structure and communication skills are mainly what you are getting tested on. If you can signpost your answer as well it helps: "There are two key reasons why I am interested in....The first....The second...So it is for those two reasons...."

Last edited:
    Reactions: Emi and Daniel Boden

applesnapple

• Jan 21, 2021
    Yes, pretty similar. General experience was fine. I am really not a fan of video interviews but after failing Willkie's I really did a lot of practice before Weil's. Recording myself, watching it back and getting feedback helped. Remember that structure and communication skills are mainly what you are getting tested on. If you can signpost your answer as well. "There are two key reasons why I am interested in....The first....The second...So it is for those two reasons...."
    I'm so sorry to hear that but it's really good that you're turning it into a positive experience to improve! Best of luck for Weil!!! Also not everyone gets sent VIs so it's an achievement and a great confirmation that your app was great!! Good luck and thanks for always helping the community out with your contributions!! :)

• Love
    Reactions: Ricky

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I'm so sorry to hear that but it's really good that you're turning it into a positive experience to improve! Best of luck for Weil!!! Also not everyone gets sent VIs so it's an achievement and a great confirmation that your app was great!! Good luck and thanks for always helping the community out with your contributions!! :)
    Thank you :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.