2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows whether Taylor Wessing recruits on a rolling basis?

On the thread titled "which law firms recruit on a rolling basis? (2020-2021)", it says Taylor Wessing recruits on a rolling basis, but when I click on the link provided, their website says "We screen on a rolling basis but all our assessment centres are organised after the deadline to ensure all have the opportunity to apply". Their deadline is January 11 and their ACs are held in February and March.

I thought this was considered non-rolling, since they don't start handing out offers until after the deadline (unless I'm misunderstanding this, which is also very possible) and many firms who are non-rolling start reviewing applications before the deadline just to lessen their workload. Does this mean Taylor Wessing is non-rolling or do I just not understand what recruiting on a rolling basis means?

From what I know, the first half of the process (whether you get invited to GBA) is non-rolling but they don't make any AC decisions until after the deadline/around late Jan/Feb. This is what Grad Rec told me. So technically its kinda split in half.

DJMG

Star Member
    Dec 20, 2020
    Yes, they do recruit on a rolling basis. A friend received her AC invite last week. Their deadline is also the 3rd of Jan :)

I think it's always worth giving a shot! I know a future trainee that submitted his app on the last few days before the deadline.
    Yes, they do recruit on a rolling basis. A friend received her AC invite last week. Their deadline is also the 3rd of Jan :)

I think it's always worth giving a shot! I know a future trainee that submitted his app on the last few days before the deadline.

Hi, congrats to your friend! Do you know when she submitted her application out of interest?:)

reedyboy

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Apr 24, 2020
    Hey guys, just finishing on my Skadden app now, wondering if people put any kind of intro to the cover letter e.g I am a GDL student ..., or did you just go straight into the cover letter e.g why Skadden?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey guys, just finishing on my Skadden app now, wondering if people put any kind of intro to the cover letter e.g I am a GDL student ..., or did you just go straight into the cover letter e.g why Skadden?

I would just go straight into the cover letter, especially because the word limit is only 300 words and it's words better spent describing your motivations etc.

Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is such an odd week. You don't know if you will be getting emails cause its a working week but people could be on leave. :confused:

a lot of people will be on leave. Lots of people haven’t taken all their annual leave this year and so took it over Xmas so the didn’t lose it.

Personally, I’d step away from checking emails this week and give myself a bit of a break before crazy season kicks in in the new year

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    It said on the email that they are running VS ACs from January to March, so I'd be very surprised if they've filled ACs 2+ months in advance!
    Considering Macfarlanes' deadline isn't even closed (31st Jan), that basically says 100% to me that not all ACs 'slots' are gone.
    If this helps, last year I got an AC invite on the 4th February for the summer scheme. I applied a week or so before the 31st.

thanks all for letting me know!

What about those who have already applied like in November? Do they usually ghost or send rejection emails?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    thanks all for letting me know!

What about those who have already applied like in November? Do they usually ghost or send rejection emails?
    I applied to Macfarlanes last year (before I learned that I couldn't actually apply fml embarrassing) and they did let me know when I wasn't successful! So I don't think they ghost.

Reactions: OB and Dwight

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    I applied last year to Macs and got an AC invite early December time. My AC was in Jan, and when I asked Grad Rec they stated there were around 3 AC's held in Jan. They may have changed this though for 2021.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just would assume it, though I am aware of it being rolling basis. However, as someone else said, some ACs are handed out later. No fault in holding out a little hope :)

55 vac scheme places will easily be about 150 ACs. If they only get about a 1000 applications each year (going by Chambers), they probably have had less than 40% of those applications so far given when their deadline is, and they won’t have brought through less than 1 in 3 candidates who have applied so far, especially when the majority of applications are still to be received.

I don’t think they will be anywhere near filling their ACs - maybe a third at best filled so far I reckon.

Reactions: Edward and Dwight

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    55 vac scheme places will easily be about 150 ACs. If they only get about a 1000 applications each year (going by Chambers), they probably have had less than 40% of those applications so far given when their deadline is, and they won’t have brought through less than 1 in 3 candidates who have applied so far, especially when the majority of applications are still to be received.

I don’t think they will be anywhere near filling their ACs - maybe a third at best filled so far I reckon.

I'm so confused, that's legit what I was saying ahaha :confused:

• Haha
    Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.