2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabma

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 22, 2018
Has anyone heard anything at all from Gibson Dunn? Or has any clue as to when they will look at apps? I know they are rolling but I haven't seen anyone hear from them yet so just wondering

BiancaR

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from HSF yet? This is only my second cycle of applications- I applied fairly early and am quite stressed as I haven't heard anything yet? When is it normal for firms to respond about ACs?

Reactions: ANM

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from HSF yet? This is only my second cycle of applications- I applied fairly early and am quite stressed as I haven't heard anything yet? When is it normal for firms to respond about ACs?

Hey!

HSF recruit on a non-rolling basis. This means that they wouldn't respond to anyone until after the deadline has passed and so, everyone has a fair chance/everyone's at the same level.

Did you apply for Spring? I've seen a bunch of AC invites and rejections for the Spring scheme but nothing Summer. Likely, they're recruiting for Spring first and then will move onto Summer later.

Good luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: BiancaR and OB

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    If asked in an interview about a recent commercial news story that interested you/that you've been following, what should you include in your answer and how should it roughly be structured? Thanks!

Hi @Ashton97

From my experience , interviewers who are asking this question will be more focused on your reasons for interest rather than the news story you offer. Therefore my advice when preparing for these commercial awareness questions is to select 3- 4 stories/deals you are particularly interested in (preferably from a variety of sectors or from the sectors the firm you are interviewing with focuses on).

When you are researching these stories/deals ask yourself:

What market/ industry was this achieved in, and what are the current trends e.g. is this an emerging market, a declining market?

Was this the first deal of this kind and why? When was the last/similar deal completed and what were the reasons for the time lag?

Was this deal particularly more complex and why? (Consider cultural, financial, environmental, tax and competition implications)

If the story is one involving the firm you are interviewing at- why was X firm able to succeed on this deal (consider location e.g. are they the only firm with practising capacity in that region, and practice area e.g. does X firm offer a unique service to clients that cannot be offered elsewhere)

I think if you approach your preparation for this question from this angle, this will really help to tailor your answer!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited:

BiancaR

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Hey!

HSF recruit on a non-rolling basis. This means that they wouldn't respond to anyone until after the deadline has passed and so, everyone has a fair chance/everyone's at the same level.

Did you apply for Spring? I've seen a bunch of AC invites and rejections for the Spring scheme but nothing Summer. Likely, they're recruiting for Spring first and then will move onto Summer later.

Good luck!

That completely makes sense! I applied to the summer scheme so it's such a relief to hear they haven't started sending out acceptances yet. Thank you so much!

Angeliki

Standard Member
    Nov 7, 2020
    For the Travers Smith application these are the questions:

Please copy and paste your cover letter into the space provided below (there is no word limit).

Is it necessary to include my address and the firm's address in the cover letter? If I was going to upload a separate file I would include it but here I don't know if it is necessary.

Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.

Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere.

I my cover letter, I'm thinking I should mention why commercial law and why Travers Smith because if I include why me then I won't have much to mention in these two questions. Also, for the second question, should I mention any awards and programmes I participated in from secondary school? Or would it seem irrelevant because it was so far back? Any advice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the Travers Smith application these are the questions:

Please copy and paste your cover letter into the space provided below (there is no word limit).

Is it necessary to include my address and the firm's address in the cover letter? If I was going to upload a separate file I would include it but here I don't know if it is necessary.

Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.

Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere.

I my cover letter, I'm thinking I should mention why commercial law and why Travers Smith because if I include why me then I won't have much to mention in these two questions. Also, for the second question, should I mention any awards and programmes I participated in from secondary school? Or would it seem irrelevant because it was so far back? Any advice?

Plenty of people will reference things from school, especially sixth form.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Anyone applied to Osborne Clarke? I’m struggling with their questions more than others!

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

Is this “why commercial law”, “why OC” and “why you” rolled into one? So essentially a cover letter but focused on your hobbies rather than academics/work ex?

I think the reason I’m struggling with it is because there’s also another question about how OC can be distinguished from other firms which would be part of my answer to why OC anyway!

Grateful for any thoughts!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.