Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering how to tackle the question, 'What are your strengths?'. I have been struggling with how broad this is.

I was planning on mentioning thinking outside the box and linking this to an experience of volunteering for a consulting firm and running a glitter tattoo business.

Also, providing tailored service to customers and linking this to my experiences as LexisNexis Student Associate and Open Day ambassador.

However, do these overlap too much and are they worthy strengths to highlight?

Also is two enough or should I highlight three in lesser detail?

I am trying to avoid generic strengths like organisation, communication etc.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering how to tackle the question, 'What are your strengths?'. I have been struggling with how broad this is.

I was planning on mentioning thinking outside the box and linking this to an experience of volunteering for a consulting firm and running a glitter tattoo business.

Also, providing tailored service to customers and linking this to my experiences as LexisNexis Student Associate and Open Day ambassador.

However, do these overlap too much and are they worthy strengths to highlight?

Also is two enough or should I highlight three in lesser detail?

I am trying to avoid generic strengths like organisation, communication etc.

Its as broad as you want it to be.

Strengths are ultimately what energises you though - the natural default settings you have to approach things, rather than the outcome (you providing bespoke client advice is an outcome rather than a strength really - so think about what makes you work that way to provide that when others might not)

But I would think about whether those strengths align to the firm’s values and/or the role of a trainee solicitor (with the latter yours will)

aspiringsolicitor000

M&A Bootcamp
Oct 22, 2020
Hi,

I was wondering how to answer this question, We strive for excellence for our clients and people. What will drive you to succeed at Taylor Wessing.

I also wanted to ask is opening your own society an example of a significant achievement outside of you academic career?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

While writing about my interest in commercial law, can I substantiate it with one of my experiences in a corporate policy house internship, where I was involved in recommending a law? Or would a law firm experience be more suited for that?

You are going to be the far better judge of that than me. Use which experience you think is the better example based on your responsibilities/what you did.

Reactions: Tushar

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering how to answer this question, We strive for excellence for our clients and people. What will drive you to succeed at Taylor Wessing.

I also wanted to ask is opening your own society an example of a significant achievement outside of you academic career?

sounds perfectly ok to me. Again though, you are going to be a better judge of what your best example of a significant achievement is more so than me.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica! what's the best way to structure responses for a scenario based interview? thanks!

There really is no set structure to such a broad range of questions.

Break the question down though. The scenario is likely to be one trainees regularly face in their jobs. So what are the pressure points of that scenario and what are the skills or attributes that will get you through it? Even if no one is explicitly mentioned, or in cases they are, think about all the parties involved. Visualise yourself in the surrounding of Joe Bloggs LLP’s office in that scenario - what resources are available to you to help you ensure a good outcome?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, what do law firms ask of referees? Will they need be asked to write a letter for consideration in the application process or is it for post-offer checks?

Depends on the firm and the nature of the reference.

Employment references tend to just be a standard verification that you did X job at Y date. Most employers these days are unwilling to provide character references unless you did something really bad (eg you faced disciplinary action) and so most reference process are just to make sure you didn’t make stuff up.

Academic references are slightly different. A firm tend to expect a more detailed character reference from you academic tutor and for many universities, this is a standard they apply. However, there is enough that don’t and who just churn out brief references that confirm your grades.

Character/personal references tend to be much more based on providing substantial detail on why someone is a good character/would be a good hire. Lots of firms don’t use them though as ultimately it’s pretty easy to find someone who is willing to sing your praises

Helpme12345

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Depends on the firm and the nature of the reference.

Employment references tend to just be a standard verification that you did X job at Y date. Most employers these days are unwilling to provide character references unless you did something really bad (eg you faced disciplinary action) and so most reference process are just to make sure you didn’t make stuff up.

Academic references are slightly different. A firm tend to expect a more detailed character reference from you academic tutor and for many universities, this is a standard they apply. However, there is enough that don’t and who just churn out brief references that confirm your grades.

Character/personal references tend to be much more based on providing substantial detail on why someone is a good character/would be a good hire. Lots of firms don’t use them though as ultimately it’s pretty easy to find someone who is willing to sing your praises

If I can hop on here...
When do employment checks take place? Is it for the vacation scheme or just the training contract?

Asking because I would not want to tell my current employer about my situation (and potentially risk my job) until I received a definite training contract.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I can hop on here...
When do employment checks take place? Is it for the vacation scheme or just the training contract?

Asking because I would not want to tell my current employer about my situation (and potentially risk my job) until I received a definite training contract.

Again, will depend on the firm and also by programme. I know some firms that do all reference checks when selecting candidates for interview, even for vacation schemes. I know other that do no checks for vac schemes and won’t do a full TC check until about 3 months before you start a sponsored law school course.

If a reference is taken at application stage it will say on the application form and you will 1) have to provide the contact details for the referee(s) and 2) tick a box or confirm you are happy for your referees to be contacted.

They can’t contact your referees without you confirming they can. BUT a lot of candidates may have missed this detail when applying and not realised that by completing the application form you have confirmed they can.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Helpme12345

Paaris

• Dec 18, 2020
    It is exceptionally busy in the forums at the moment and I am getting inundated with PMs. PMs are often about very common themes and so it would be better for these questions to be posted in the forums to avoid duplication.

PMs should only really be used if the matter contains personal information specific to you.

Just wanted to say, thank you very much Jessica and everyone at TCLA for answering questions and providing guidance and support. It is always much appreciated.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    There really is no set structure to such a broad range of questions.

Break the question down though. The scenario is likely to be one trainees regularly face in their jobs. So what are the pressure points of that scenario and what are the skills or attributes that will get you through it? Even if no one is explicitly mentioned, or in cases they are, think about all the parties involved. Visualise yourself in the surrounding of Joe Bloggs LLP’s office in that scenario - what resources are available to you to help you ensure a good outcome?
    Thank you! So I can just respond conversationally focusing on the competencies they're trying to tease out?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you! So I can just respond conversationally focusing on the competencies they're trying to tease out?

You’ll need to explain what you would do in that situation rather than just teasing out competencies. It needs to show practical insight into the processes and approaches you would take to ensure things went well. In that, you may well talk about your strengths/qualities that would help you get through that scenario or those processes though.

FC

Star Member
  • Jan 27, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker

The application form I am filling out asks the following:

"If you are a law undergraduate applying later than your penultimate year of study, or a non-law graduate applying after your final year of study, please give the reason for applying later on. Should this not apply to you, you should enter N/A in the text box"

If I am a law graduate, do I put N/A or explain my reason? I don't know if I'm reading too much into the fact that they only specify law undergraduate & no mention of graduate?

Thank you in advance.

L.M.P

Star Member
    Jan 24, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I was hoping you would be able to advice me on what to do as I am currently feeling a bit stressed about my situation...

I start my very first paralegal role on Monday and have an upcoming AC with CMS on the Friday. This is all fine as I spoke to HR in advance and my induction has been carefully planned around my Friday AC. However, I have just been invited to interview with BCLP (which I am very shocked and happy about!) but when I clicked to view the dates and times for the interview there were only Tuesday and Wednesday time slots available (next week). Obviously, I am now faced with an issue as I can either ask my work for more time off and for them to go back and reorganise the schedule, or I can contact BCLP and explain that as I am in full-time work I need a little time to organise the time off for interview?

I am a bit anxious about doing either however I am leaning toward contacting BCLP as my work have organised one-on-one training with lawyers within the firm and I know that this can be very difficult to arrange. However, I also really like BCLP and would love to train at the firm eventually so I do not want to annoy them at all! I am also worried that they are only interviewing next week for the spring vacation scheme - would it be worth saying that I do not mind being considered for summer if it means a later interview date?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you !

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi! I was wondering how telephone interviews are usually scored or how the GR decides who to take through to the interview, especially when they stipulate they are waiting to interview everyone. Is it like a numerical score and there is a ‘pass mark’ or is it more general, like they look at the notes and say ‘yes’ ‘no’ or ‘maybe’.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

The application form I am filling out asks the following:

"If you are a law undergraduate applying later than your penultimate year of study, or a non-law graduate applying after your final year of study, please give the reason for applying later on. Should this not apply to you, you should enter N/A in the text box"

If I am a law graduate, do I put N/A or explain my reason? I don't know if I'm reading too much into the fact that they only specify law undergraduate & no mention of graduate?

Thank you in advance.

this is a slightly weird question that I cannot quite work out it’s meaning at first, so sorry for the edit if you read this quickly.

They are asking you why you didn’t apply in earlier recruitment cycles. So you would need to explain why you didn’t apply last year when you could have done.

They consider you a law undergraduate (which you are as you haven’t gone on the postgraduate study)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: FC

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I was hoping you would be able to advice me on what to do as I am currently feeling a bit stressed about my situation...

I start my very first paralegal role on Monday and have an upcoming AC with CMS on the Friday. This is all fine as I spoke to HR in advance and my induction has been carefully planned around my Friday AC. However, I have just been invited to interview with BCLP (which I am very shocked and happy about!) but when I clicked to view the dates and times for the interview there were only Tuesday and Wednesday time slots available (next week). Obviously, I am now faced with an issue as I can either ask my work for more time off and for them to go back and reorganise the schedule, or I can contact BCLP and explain that as I am in full-time work I need a little time to organise the time off for interview?

I am a bit anxious about doing either however I am leaning toward contacting BCLP as my work have organised one-on-one training with lawyers within the firm and I know that this can be very difficult to arrange. However, I also really like BCLP and would love to train at the firm eventually so I do not want to annoy them at all! I am also worried that they are only interviewing next week for the spring vacation scheme - would it be worth saying that I do not mind being considered for summer if it means a later interview date?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you !

A bird in the hand and all that...

I would personally ask BCLP as to whether they can be flexible first rather than asking your employer that you haven’t even accumulated a whole week of experience with yet.

You are not going to “annoy” them by asking. Just explain you are in an induction for a new job and can’t do those specific times. If they then say they can’t be flexible then you are in a difficult situation where you have to work out whether to ask your employer for yet another day off in your first week (I think this could be seen as a lack of commitment and common sense given it’s your first week though - personally I wouldn’t do it).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.