2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I found this useful:
    https://www.squirepattonboggs.com/-/media/files/careers/training-contract-application-guide.pdf
    I think you want to try and sell yourself first and foremost, however link these key skills you can show into why that would suit SPB particularly. You want to be able to show them that you've researched into their firm, and aren't just sending a generic personal statement to them! Hope that helps :)
    Thank you!! Yes I think you’re right, I applied last year and got to the VI but the cover letter didn’t have a word limit so it was a bit easier haha. Trying to get it in this evening :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: Haz

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” (Ronald Reagan, 1987). In a Covid world, can governments adequately protect public health, stimulate the economy and preserve personal freedom all at the same time? (Milbank)

How would you approach the question? Would you include a legal analysis? Take a stance or remain neutral?

@Jessica Booker
    This has been my favourite application question of the year!

Reactions: Jaysen

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    Irwin Mitchell have started screening applications, trying to resist refreshing my emails every 5 minutes! Anyone remember from last year roughly how long it took to start hearing back?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    • 🏆
    Reactions: OB

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys, can anyone point me in the direction of any resources to help prepare for a written exercise please? Alternatively, has anyone got any tips for written exercises? I have one coming up this month for the number 1 firm on my list and I have never done one before.

Well done! We have some free written exercises to practise here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/case-study-2-m-a-analysis.78/. Unfortunately we no longer have the capacity to mark these, but they still should be good practise!

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 9, 2019

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Could someone please send me the simmons and simmons application questions? My laptop appears to have deleted my application that I saved from CVmail and I need to recall my answers for my VI!!!

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Could someone please send me the simmons and simmons application questions? My laptop appears to have deleted my application that I saved from CVmail and I need to recall my answers for my VI!!!

Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)*

Hope this helps

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 20, 2020
    Also if it helps, having done the VI for the Winter Scheme, there isn't really any major overlap between the two whatsoever! Good luck!!!!

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Irwin Mitchell have started screening applications, trying to resist refreshing my emails every 5 minutes! Anyone remember from last year roughly how long it took to start hearing back?

I applied mid-December and got an invite for the VI at the start of February last year - hopefully it won't be such a long wait this year

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Kelly_

ski1239

Standard Member
    Aug 31, 2020
    I cannot believe I missed this. I only submitted yesterday so just now I quickly changed it in the application portal as it still allows changes. Although, the portal still says 'updated on 6th Jan' - not today's date! Was I wise to change it or should I have just left it? I am definitely overthinking this!
    I ca't find the personal statement template on the portal - will it count against me if I've sent it off as a word document from my computer?

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Watson Glaser invite from Weil! :D

This one has really been stressing me out and causing serious anxiety as I saw several people had applied a few weeks after me and already been invited. For those still waiting, hang in there!

For reference, I applied on 3/12/2020.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.