General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedyboy

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Apr 24, 2020
    Hi everyone, have a quesiton about LPC electives. Most firms require some kind of specific combiation of modules in the LPC, but do they penalise/not hire you if you have not taken these? For example, if I begin the LPC and do X modules, but am applying for a firm which requires Y modules, does the fact that I have not done their requried electives mean that I could not get a TC with them?

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Hi everyone, have a quesiton about LPC electives. Most firms require some kind of specific combiation of modules in the LPC, but do they penalise/not hire you if you have not taken these? For example, if I begin the LPC and do X modules, but am applying for a firm which requires Y modules, does the fact that I have not done their requried electives mean that I could not get a TC with them?

I imagine all firms will differ in their approach, but I read on one firm's website that they would expect people to choose electives related to the firm's main practice areas, even if they're not the exact ones that they require. As long as you pick Corporate/Commercial electives over things like Criminal and Family, you'll probably be fine!

Reactions: law2021

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Highly unlikely that you would be restricted from apply or not considered on this basis alone.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi all. I've got a very general and non law related question. Does anyone know whether there is an equivalent platform of the TCLA for consultancy?

reedyboy

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Apr 24, 2020
    I imagine all firms will differ in their approach, but I read on one firm's website that they would expect people to choose electives related to the firm's main practice areas, even if they're not the exact ones that they require. As long as you pick Corporate/Commercial electives over things like Criminal and Family, you'll probably be fine!
    Highly unlikely that you would be restricted from apply or not considered on this basis alone.

Okay great, thanks so much for the info!

Reactions: AH97

SecretSantaxx

Star Member
    Dec 9, 2020
    Hey @Jessica Booker , I was sent a form to be filled up before an interview. There is a work experience section which says "list any employment.... after university". Does this mean that I do not include any internship/summer schemes? I am wondering if it is because its a generic form that is sent to all applicants (including those that aren't applying for graduate schemes), not tailored from students and therefore I should be including summer schemes/internships instead. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey @Jessica Booker , I was sent a form to be filled up before an interview. There is a work experience section which says "list any employment.... after university". Does this mean that I do not include any internship/summer schemes? I am wondering if it is because its a generic form that is sent to all applicants (including those that aren't applying for graduate schemes), not tailored from students and therefore I should be including summer schemes/internships instead. Thanks!

what’s the full question? Only seeing part of it means it is difficult to advise on this.

legalCheek27

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 29, 2020
    Question regarding the White & Case deadline. By 15th Jan, is that to be interpreted as the end of Thursday at 11:59pm, or the end Friday 11:59pm?

Considering they review applications on a rolling basis, I fully appreciate that applying this late is far from ideal. I also understand that applying by the end of Thursday is the safer option. However, if there is an extra day, I feel I could significantly improve the quality of my app.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Thank you very much for all your advice!

Just wanted to ask, if a training contract deadline is written as "deadline 15th January 2021", does that mean that it is still okay to submit on 15th January 2021 itself, till 2359?

Thank you! :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Question regarding the White & Case deadline. By 15th Jan, is that to be interpreted as the end of Thursday at 11:59pm, or the end Friday 11:59pm?

Considering they review applications on a rolling basis, I fully appreciate that applying this late is far from ideal. I also understand that applying by the end of Thursday is the safer option. However, if there is an extra day, I feel I could significantly improve the quality of my app.

This comes up EVERY deadline.

There is NO logic in the deadline being 11.59pm the night before the deadline stated. A deadline always includes the day it mentions.

Reactions: Bugsy Malone and OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Thank you very much for all your advice!

Just wanted to ask, if a training contract deadline is written as "deadline 15th January 2021", does that mean that it is still okay to submit on 15th January 2021 itself, till 2359?

Thank you! :D

See the post below yours....

I cannot guarantee a deadline will be 23.59 but a deadline will always include the date stated, never the day before.

lawstudent2021

Sep 29, 2020
    **please help**

I just received a TC rejection after my winter vac scheme. I really enjoyed the vac scheme and was convinced it was the right firm for me so the rejection has hit me really really hard. The TC interview process in general took a massive toll on me because I found it so hard to balance my uni work and deadlines with preparing for the interview and ending up overworking and over stressing myself and tanking on the actual interview day. I'm in my final year and feel like this was my last opportunity to get a training contract before I graduate as I've missed all the vac scheme deadlines for other firms now.

I'm getting my head around the fact that I'm going to have to apply for straight TC's. I've seen firms like White & Case and Hogan Lovells have TC deadlines in summer like July time. I don't know whether I should be applying to these now, or waiting until after I graduate when I have my degree results and then applying in the summer. The pros of this would be that I could focus on getting the best possible results and not having to worry about the application process, but the risk is that they will have already made all of the their TC offers.

Any advice on the TC application process & how to cope with rejection (lol) would be great thank you.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi guys. I’m thinking about taking a break from all applications so I can focus on my grades. The applications are very time consuming and have taken a serious toll on my mental health; I don't want to risk it also affecting my academic performance. Instead, I hope to take a gap year and focus on applications once I graduate.

Even though I am really struggling to simultaneously look for employment whilst maintaining good grades, most people I've met either secured their TC during uni or whilst working. I don't know if taking this process very slowly and step-by-step could be frowned upon in any way and been seen as lacking proactiveness? Has anyone taken this approach or is there anything I should take into consideration? Thank you.

Look at what you've written - you are making an active choice to take a year out, it's the opposite of not being proactive! (Hope you can follow the double negative...) And you know what? Even if you end up doing a non-law job, that will be incredibly valuable world experience. The job market, in general, is going to be pretty ropey but with a good degree behind you and a sense of adventure, you should get something. You will probably be a better lawyer as a result - wiser, clearer about how you can make a difference in the right firm for you. Far from being the passive option, this shows real commitment.

You can make applications next year. You can't redo your finals.

And those other people with all those TCs? They won't get the chance to pop their heads over the parapet and look at the world. A minority will find, further down the line, that they wish that they had taken that chance when it was there.

Be your own best friend here. Get the main project out of the way.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    **please help**

I just received a TC rejection after my winter vac scheme. I really enjoyed the vac scheme and was convinced it was the right firm for me so the rejection has hit me really really hard. The TC interview process in general took a massive toll on me because I found it so hard to balance my uni work and deadlines with preparing for the interview and ending up overworking and over stressing myself and tanking on the actual interview day. I'm in my final year and feel like this was my last opportunity to get a training contract before I graduate as I've missed all the vac scheme deadlines for other firms now.

I'm getting my head around the fact that I'm going to have to apply for straight TC's. I've seen firms like White & Case and Hogan Lovells have TC deadlines in summer-like July time. I don't know whether I should be applying to these now, or waiting until after I graduate when I have my degree results and then applying in the summer. The pros of this would be that I could focus on getting the best possible results and not having to worry about the application process, but the risk is that they will have already made all of their TC offers.

Any advice on the TC application process & how to cope with rejection (lol) would be great thank you.

Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't work out. But good for you for asking for support, and learning that way too.

Not sure if you have premium access to TCLA but the overriding view is that it all works out in the end. There was a seminar given with Paul Gascoyne, Shearman & Sterling grad recruitment, where he and the TCLA core team address some of the practicalities. And painful as it is, the feedback from your VS will be well worth hearing. If they don't want you, it's their loss, but lucky you to have had that experience.

It's always unpleasant. But lawyers have to deal with rejection all the time. And see the conversation above about taking a year out. You can reapply, but you can't redo your Finals.

Good luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.