2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Has anyone else heard from MdR about the VI? I'm so sorry to keep asking- I'm a bit stressy and have been resisting the temptation to check my email every 30 seconds!
(On a side note, congratulations to everyone currently receiving VI's/interview invites- you're going to do brilliantly!)
I haven’t :( getting worried too because seen a few people apply on the deadline & got a reply

Reactions: Georgina Evans and ZaraB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I had an assessment centre today and there was a commercial exercise about a dispute with an employee. Basically the company wanted to fire him and offered him a redundancy package on the lower end of the scale of what they normally offer (his performance was ok, but not stellar). He said he might have some useful information for them (about the fact that two of their senior executives had destroyed some documents they weren't supposed to), possibly as a negotiating chip to get a better package. Eventually we found out that the senior executives didn't do that, and that the employee in question was mistaken / lied.

The question is, should the company now give him an increased package (to at least average level), given that he *might've* tried to be sneaky about it and offer information which he may or may not have known was false?

It was a tough one for me, I said the company is under no legal obligation to do so, even less so now that they suspect he might've tried to game the process, but that they could consider it anyway just because they don't want him going to the media, complaining about a low payout and hurting their reputation, and also it's always better to split on amicable terms, especially if the monetary cost of doing so wouldn't be too high.

Do you think this was the right approach?

I’m not really best placed to advise on such a technical matter (also seems odd you wouldn’t offer redundancy to someone who was being fired, you would offer a settlement agreement - if it was a settlement agreement you’d also be fortunate to basically have an NDA in place that would mean you were somewhat protected from any “bad press”).

My view would be why would you give an increased offer to someone who had lied? From an integrity point of view you might be well placed to renege the offer altogether (but that’s just my opinion).

Reactions: Hele25

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just wanted to say a huge congratulations to everyone who has received AC invites!

I just wanted to echo something I read a few pages back and that is, many firms do look and review in batches - just because some people are getting invites/are possibly sadly getting rejected, this rarely has a bearing on the outcome of your application. You only know for sure when you get an email telling you either way. Despite knowing this when applying, I would be lying if I said I personally found this easy to ignore but it really is true.

Also @Tanaya, I apologise this is coming to you a bit late but I was so devastated following two vacation schemes I didn't convert. I had it deeply rooted in my mind that one of them was 'my firm'. After a bit of reflection and taking stock, I realised that wasn't the case and actually my TC is now with the best firm for me that I could possibly imagine. I really hope this might help you a little and you sound like you submitted a really well proofed application so just stick to that and know you are doing the right things.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Sep 30, 2020
Rejection from Bird & Bird post-VI, this is gonna be my 'the one' rejection that people refer to everyone getting so gonna hurt.. but guess onto bigger and better!

On plus note, at least they're finally getting back to people - good luck everyone :)

*Completed VI mid-nov and was for spring vac*

I just received the same, completed VI end of December. Keep your head up, we've got this:)

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Can anyone relate to my applications timelines and if you've heard anything?

Seems to be quite a while to wait but aware I'll hear before January end. No news is good news, maybe? Ah the wait kills me!

Applied to Bakers on Dec 9th. Nothing yet.

Applied to Mishcon de Reya Dec 23rd. Nothing yet.

Reactions: NA1998

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Can anyone relate to my applications timelines and if you've heard anything?

Seems to be quite a while to wait but aware I'll hear before January end. No news is good news, maybe? Ah the wait kills me!

Applied to Bakers on Dec 9th. Nothing yet.

Applied to Mishcon de Reya Dec 23rd. Nothing yet.

I applied to Mishcon in September and never heard back, if that helps :D

Reactions: chromaticaqueen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.