Gap year before TC - Paralegal/LLM

MiaLane22

Jan 12, 2021
I’ve recently accepted a TC from a top international firm but my TC is only starting in August 2022. I’ve already completed the LPC so I now have one and a half gap year before my TC. I plan to stay in my home country Poland and work there until the end of the summer, but I am unsure what to do from next September till August. I was thinking of either paralegaling (if I can get a job) or doing a LLM at UCL/Kings/Queen Mary. Not considering the financial side is there any advantage in paralegaling before your TC instead of doing a LLM? I am unsure how useful any skills developed during paralegaling would be during my TC

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I’ve recently accepted a TC from a top international firm but my TC is only starting in August 2022. I’ve already completed the LPC so I now have one and a half gap year before my TC. I plan to stay in my home country Poland and work there until the end of the summer, but I am unsure what to do from next September till August. I was thinking of either paralegaling (if I can get a job) or doing a LLM at UCL/Kings/Queen Mary. Not considering the financial side is there any advantage in paralegaling before your TC instead of doing a LLM? I am unsure how useful any skills developed during paralegaling would be during my TC

I think, personally, given the costs involved etc you should undertake further study because you really want to and you have a particular interest you want to explore further. I think given you have your TC, paralegal work would be helpful in giving you an insight into how law firms operate etc. But, I also think this time is a great opportunity for you to work in any role really - every job no matter what it is will help you to gain some transferable skills. I think if there is anything you feel quite passionate about or something you would like to explore then go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a law focused job unless you truly don't wish to do anything else. I also think it's important to enjoy this time - TCs are tough and hard work so this might factor into what you choose to do. Doing something 'non law' will not in any way negate or call into question your commitment either.

• 🤝
Reactions: encrenoire, Zoo and MiaLane22

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just to add a third option - if you can, travel! This will be the last time you have such a big amount of time off for a while so I would go and see the world and explore it as much as you can! That's the advice every lawyer I have spoken to has given me anyway... even if you worked as a paralegal for a few months then went travelling for a few months I think it would so worth it

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just to add a third option - if you can, travel! This will be the last time you have such a big amount of time off for a while so I would go and see the world and explore it as much as you can! That's the advice every lawyer I have spoken to has given me anyway... even if you worked as a paralegal for a few months then went travelling for a few months I think it would so worth it
    Good point @Daniel Boden! Definitely a good consideration :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Only do a LLM if it is something you truly want to explore. A general LLM is unlikely to help you, but if you have an indication of where you want to qualify into already it could be a good idea to do it now (if you have the funds) and you are truly motivated to do it for you rather than for a specific career objective.

You can always paralegal for a few months - it doesn’t need to be the whole year you do it. Personally I would mix it up and do as much as I could that would be my personal goals/objectives (while time is on my side) I would work a bit to find travel, travel, and then try to do a couple of months work before my TC just to get me mentally ready for life in a law firm.

MiaLane22

Jan 12, 2021
    Thank you all for the responses. I definitely want to travel for a at least a few months and I have been saving up for it with my job at a start up in Poland. I was thinking of doing the LLM because I am really interested in international arbitration but I have never studied it before I just sat in the arbitration department during two vacation schemes. @Jessica Booker would doing an arbitration focused LLM increase my chances at all of getting an arbitration seat during my TC and then of qualifying into this department ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you all for the responses. I definitely want to travel for a at least a few months and I have been saving up for it with my job at a start up in Poland. I was thinking of doing the LLM because I am really interested in international arbitration but I have never studied it before I just sat in the arbitration department during two vacation schemes. @Jessica Booker would doing an arbitration focused LLM increase my chances at all of getting an arbitration seat during my TC and then of qualifying into this department ?

possibly - but there would be no guarantees and I think other factors would be a much bigger influence

• ℹ️
    Reactions: MiaLane22

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    I agree with @Jessica Booker and @Alice G - it really depends on what you enjoy and what your aspirations are!
    From personal experience, I can see that there are benefits to working as a paralegal, working at a different job, or doing the LLM. I am due to start TC next year and I worked as a paralegal for a year which I think will help me during the TC as I learned what it is like to work in a law firm, got familiar with its processes, dealing with clients and writing e-mails etc. (and it took some getting used to!). At the same time, you will be working in a law firm maybe for the rest of your life, so maybe it is good to do something else now? Doing the LLM now, it is quite nice to explore the areas of law that I wanted to get into more (and also the ones that I am academically interested in but won't do in practice) as I know that once I start working, it would be difficult to go back to studying. Your interest in arbitration could be a good reason to do it as while it may not secure you a seat, you may find it very interesting and get more passionate about this area which may subsequently convince the law firm to give you the seat (?)
    If you have any questions about the LLM or working as a paralegal, or just want to talk through it, feel free to drop me a message!

Reactions: nehasunil88

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.