2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

law2021

Star Member
Dec 1, 2020
Hi everyone,
I got a rejection from B&B and Slaughters and May today :( And these were the only firms that I've applied to, as I am seeing now many firms have already closed their applications for VS.

Do you think I should still try to apply to different firm's TCs? Granted, I have no legal work experience. Or wait and apply for VS next year?
I know that my question is stupid, but I don't really know what to do, I am proper gutted!

Here's a really helpful thread: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/vacation-scheme-deadlines-2021.2924/#post-46613 - it lists this year's VS deadlines for several firms. There's definitely still time to apply to other firms!

Reactions: angel3oo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker (or anyone else who can help),

I recently submitted an application and I made some similar points in the work experience section of the application to the question section of the application - repeated a couple of examples. Do you think this would weaken the application?

Thank you in advance!

It’s not ideal but isn’t a deal breaker

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Literally 8am this morning!

Oh wow, you are defo one of the first to hear back so well done for that! There's a thread on here about their telephone interview, quite a few people discussed their interview from the last cycle. Just type in Skadden telephone interview corporate law academy. From what I read, it sounded quite straightforward, mostly questions on your application, some motivation some competency, and one commercial question. Good luck!!

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Oh wow, you are defo one of the first to hear back so well done for that! There's a thread on here about their telephone interview, quite a few people discussed their interview from the last cycle. Just type in Skadden telephone interview corporate law academy. From what I read, it sounded quite straightforward, mostly questions on your application, some motivation some competency, and one commercial question. Good luck!!
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it

Reactions: Sekani Wraith

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When we use examples from our work experience, should we edit the work experience sections to not say that? And just describe our roles and our responsibilities in the job

It really depends on the context of how you are using it elsewhere. If you are just explaining your role again, this isn’t ideal. If you are focusing on a specific project or responsibility to show a competency then I would expect that to only be referenced in the work experience section and put into more detail in your application answer. If you are explaining how it shaped your motivations, then your wording would be different anyway.

• ℹ️
Reactions: angel3oo

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
One more question, were you given options to select from as to the date of your interview (if so what was the latest date you could choose) or did they just schedule it for Friday?
Also my surname is A, so I probably was one of the first reviewed because I believe it’s non rolling this year. Hope you hear back soon

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jessica Booker I had an assessment centre today and there was a commercial exercise about a dispute with an employee. Basically the company wanted to fire him and offered him a redundancy package on the lower end of the scale of what they normally offer (his performance was ok, but not stellar). He said he might have some useful information for them (about the fact that two of their senior executives had destroyed some documents they weren't supposed to), possibly as a negotiating chip to get a better package. Eventually we found out that the senior executives didn't do that, and that the employee in question was mistaken / lied.

The question is, should the company now give him an increased package (to at least average level), given that he *might've* tried to be sneaky about it and offer information which he may or may not have known was false?

It was a tough one for me, I said the company is under no legal obligation to do so, even less so now that they suspect he might've tried to game the process, but that they could consider it anyway just because they don't want him going to the media, complaining about a low payout and hurting their reputation, and also it's always better to split on amicable terms, especially if the monetary cost of doing so wouldn't be too high.

Do you think this was the right approach?

I'm a little unclear on whether the person was actually fired or made redundant? Either way, you wouldn't really be expected to know much about employment legislation, so to me the question looks to be assessing your commercial thinking.

I guess there's two main ways to see this, one would be to stick to what the company initially planned so as to not reward bad behaviour. Another would be to - as you said - go for an increased package to avoid the risk of more complications down the line.

I'd imagine it also depends on a few things, such as:
    - The cost difference between the packages
    - Whether he was aware that the redundancy package was on the 'lower scale'
    - Whether other steps can be taken to ensure the company is protected from any future consequences
    - Whether he was just mistaken or had actually lied
    - Is there a risk of a dismissal claim?

Although I'm not sure if you had scope to flag further questions! I think as long as you justified your reasons well, and it looks like you did, I think you'll be okay here.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Hele25
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.