2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Also my surname is A, so I probably was one of the first reviewed because I believe it’s non rolling this year. Hope you hear back soon

Interesting. I applied on the 3rd of December. At the Open Day, they said they review them as they come in but no decisions made till after the deadline. Surname is E so hopefully shouldn't have to wait too long haha if they are doing it by that method.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    gosh, think it may be coming close to the time when I stop looking at this thread so I don't know which firms are replying! Can't deal with the stress :p

I know it's tough, but I do think it's good to step away from this thread from time to time and not feel the need to 'catch up'. It has a lot of fantastic content but constantly seeing which firms are responding to which people can be quite anxiety-inducing.

mpongo

Jan 13, 2021
    Hi everyone. I have a bit of a weird situation/fortunate one.
    I am a final year non-law student. I've done vacation schemes at several elite US firms. I have a training contract offer currently open, and I am waiting to hear back from two other firms that I interviewed with.

I really really like the look of a specific firm, and think it's a fit for me. I've met the grad rec team and networked with their lawyers. They accept direct TC and VS applicants, and recruit from a mix of the two. I've applied for their vac scheme and was offered an interview.

I don't want to have to do another vac scheme. Nor do I want to turn down my current tc offers which would expire by the end of the month.

Is it absolutely crazy if I email grad recruitment at this firm, and ask if there is any chance I could be interviewed now for a TC with them?
    I'm obviously a strong candidate, but they don't usually accept direct TC applications until like June.

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    I am a final year non-law student. I've done vacation schemes at several elite US firms. I have a training contract offer currently open, and I am waiting to hear back from two other firms that I interviewed with.

I really really like the look of a specific firm, and think it's a fit for me. I've met the grad rec team and networked with their lawyers. They accept direct TC and VS applicants, and recruit from a mix of the two. I've applied for their vac scheme and was offered an interview.

I don't want to have to do another vac scheme. Nor do I want to turn down my current tc offers which would expire by the end of the month.

Is it absolutely crazy if I email grad recruitment at this firm, and ask if there is any chance I could be interviewed now for a TC with them?
    I'm obviously a strong candidate, but they don't usually accept direct TC applications until like June.

I dont have any experience/know the protocol for situations like this. But if I was you, I would email the firm and explain the situation, you have all this work experience and other offers yet you still want to join this firm, it's a good thing and I think they will be open to hearing out someone who's that committed. If not, then you can try and get an extension for your current TC offers?

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019

Wow, massive congratulations on your VS experiences and TC offer! I think @Jessica Booker may have some thoughts on this situation

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

If it was me personally, I would go for it and email them. You've already been offered an interview, so they already see you as somebody they could hire. All you are really doing is putting the ball in their court.

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 20, 2020

I know someone who did the exact same with another firm, interviewed for the straight TC rather than the vac scheme and got the TC and accepted it!!! I’d definitely try

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and LegalLordLox

Iris best

Distinguished Member
    Oct 29, 2020
    4. What are the most important aspects of a career for you? What makes you feel motivated and fulfilled? (250)

Does anyone have any insight on how to approach 'most important aspect of a career' part of this question?

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hi everyone:) so this is more for future purposes (hopefully I won’t need it ) but how many law firms is normal to apply for?
    I’ve only applied to 5 and while they’re all firms I’d like to work at/I’ve researched them reasonably well, is it too few?
    I’m an open university student so we don’t get much info like this- so any insight would be much appreciated! :)

Reactions: GM

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Hi everyone:) so this is more for future purposes (hopefully I won’t need it ) but how many law firms is normal to apply for?
    I’ve only applied to 5 and while they’re all firms I’d like to work at/I’ve researched them reasonably well, is it too few?
    I’m an open university student so we don’t get much info like this- so any insight would be much appreciated! :)

Difficult to say what 'normal' is, but generally I would say the average is around 10-15. It's just the average though - I have seen people securing a successful outcome by submitting as little as 3 and as high as 40.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25 and OB

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    Fellow OU Student here! just finished in the summer :) Yeah I agree we don't get much guidance or advice on the application process, I'm in my second cycle and only applying to firms that offer the areas I'm most interested in, think I only applied to 8 or 9 firms last cycle.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.