2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizM

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
Just had a browse of a previous application and I can see I have made some errors in the 'interests and achievements' section. Such errors included things like missing out words in sentences like 'a' and 'in' so the sentences lose a bit of their sense. Amateur stuff that. Safe to say I am extremely disheartened as I did check for those types of errors.... but obviously not well enough. Probably a stupid question but what is the likelihood of being instantly thrown out due to errors like that?

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Just had a browse of a previous application and I can see I have made some errors in the 'interests and achievements' section. Such errors included things like missing out words in sentences like 'a' and 'in' so the sentences lose a bit of their sense. Amateur stuff that. Safe to say I am extremely disheartened as I did check for those types of errors.... but obviously not well enough. Probably a stupid question but what is the likelihood of being instantly thrown out due to errors like that?
    I've also done this in the past even though I've checked through multiple times. This won't be particularly helpful for your already submitted application but I've found it useful to put my answers into a 'text-to-speech' website and it's much easier to notice missing words when it's read out.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: MizM

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020

There aren't many firms that will bin your application based on small mistakes. Skadden, for example, said they will just mark you down for attention to detail, so it depends on the strength of your application overall. If you're lucky, they might not even pick up on it. Their minds might just add the word into the sentence when reading it like I'm sure yours did. I made a minor mistake on an application this cycle and was still offered a vac scheme so I wouldn't sweat it!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Maculay and MizM

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hi guys,

Hope you're all surviving - we can do this!

I'm completing an application form and a bit stuck on one question I've never had before - which reads:

"If you were given the opportunity to change one thing at the firm (Charles Russell Speechlys) what would you change and why? 250 words"

Now, I think there's an argument for two approaches to this question: 1) comment on something already in existence/operation at the firm and suggest amendment/improvement/expansion, or, 2) Mention how the firm should consider something new i.e- offering a skills academy like MdR Academy for employees or something of the like (my idea being with the 2nd approach you are not directly criticising the firm and getting yourself stuck in murky waters - but then I worry about not answering the question directly enough) Ah!

Sorry if this sounds silly but I hope someone else has had this dilemma with this question before and I'm not alone! @Jessica Booker maybe you have some advice?

Thank you thank thank you anyone!! <3

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hope everyone's doing ok this week as invites (/ rejections:() come in...

I applied to Baker McKenzie ageeeees ago and still haven't been invited to take the tests. Is no response a "No" response at this point?!

Same! Applied 9 Dec and heard nothing. Fingers crossed we hear something soon either way - I’d rather move on emotionally ASAP please haha :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Monkeyray
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.