2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey guys! I’ve received quite a few messages about Jones day interview advice/tips and I should be able to respond to all of them by tomorrow evening, if that’s okay - I’m not ignoring the messages, just wanted to make sure that was alright !!:)
    Might be worth you doing a thread mate just to save you having to repeat the same information

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hey guys! I’ve received quite a few messages about Jones day interview advice/tips and I should be able to respond to all of them by tomorrow evening, if that’s okay - I’m not ignoring the messages, just wanted to make sure that was alright !!:)
    Might be worth you doing a thread mate just to save you having to repeat the same information
    It'll also help a wider group of people! Obviously only if you're ok with that :)

A L

Dec 20, 2018
    Got an AC at Weil and rejections from Hogan Lovells and HSF. Bit surprised with the latter, attended Open Days for both and carefully researched each application.

Congrats and good luck with the AC! If by chance you are not too busy with the preparation, could you tell me when you completed the video interview? Thanks.

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB

Emily K

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 29, 2018
    I applied on the 16th, really want to know but still haven't heard back. Feel like it'll bad news now tbh

Don't lose hope, honestly - I assumed a rejection this morning after noticing people got invites who applied after me, so I don't think it can be based on application date! I think it just proves you never know :) Really hoping you get that email soon!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020

I would love to add my name to the list of people who would like to know about Jones Day interviews! :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden, NK and OB

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I'm a little unclear on whether the person was actually fired or made redundant? Either way, you wouldn't really be expected to know much about employment legislation, so to me the question looks to be assessing your commercial thinking.

I guess there's two main ways to see this, one would be to stick to what the company initially planned so as to not reward bad behaviour. Another would be to - as you said - go for an increased package to avoid the risk of more complications down the line.

I'd imagine it also depends on a few things, such as:
    - The cost difference between the packages
    - Whether he was aware that the redundancy package was on the 'lower scale'
    - Whether other steps can be taken to ensure the company is protected from any future consequences
    - Whether he was just mistaken or had actually lied
    - Is there a risk of a dismissal claim?

Although I'm not sure if you had scope to flag further questions! I think as long as you justified your reasons well, and it looks like you did, I think you'll be okay here.
    Thank you, yes many of those came up in the exercise either through my questions or just general exploration of the scenario. And you're right it comes down to just commercial sense, they didn't ask for any legal stuff, though I have to be honest, I understood the difference between "redundancy" and having a "settlement package" far too late in the process - speaking of which, what did you mean when you said you're unclear if he was being fired or made redundant; aren't they the same?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.