2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 20, 2020
I got an email from a firm in November when I applied for their winter vac that their places were full but they liked my application so they’re considering me for a summer scheme and will be in touch to confirm an interview. Is it best to just wait to see what happens or give an email asking more?
I think in that position, I'd return the e-mail simply to say thank you and that you look forward to interviewing with them, rather than asking for more information. But well done!! That's so huge for them to consider you still

RJW

Standard Member
Jan 14, 2021
I got an email from a firm in November when I applied for their winter vac that their places were full but they liked my application so they’re considering me for a summer scheme and will be in touch to confirm an interview. Is it best to just wait to see what happens or give an email asking more?

is this for Sidley? if so I'm in the same boat - currently just waiting it out

Reactions: Kola

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I think in that position, I'd return the e-mail simply to say thank you and that you look forward to interviewing with them, rather than asking for more information. But well done!! That's so huge for them to consider you still
Thank you but I received it 2 months ago haha, I’m not sure I can just reply saying thank you, although looking back I should’ve done that back then..

• Haha
Reactions: lawyermeup

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 20, 2020
Thank you but I received it 2 months ago haha, I’m not sure I can just reply saying thank you, although looking back I should’ve done that back then..
hahaha no stress at all though! have you seen other people on the forum interview for the same firm? If so, I'd maybe drop them an email

DJMG

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
It was a VS (the summer one) and I got fast-tracked from the Pathfinder. I think the firm has been running all the ACs for the VS this week and next week. There were people in my AC applying for the spring scheme as well.

Thank you! Didn't realise that all of the VS ACs were this week/next...I guess that entails rejection if we haven't heard back yet.
Good luck again :)

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
It's much more likely they're dividing it up by spring/summer applications. Plus, I don't think it's ever worth guessing as it could quite simply be random or one of their assessors has got through their candidates much faster than the others!
From what I recall you could not preference between spring or summer on the skadden app. Am I wrong?

els124

Distinguished Member
Sep 26, 2020
Thank you! Didn't realise that all of the VS ACs were this week/next...I guess that entails rejection if we haven't heard back yet.
Good luck again :)

Oh well I might be misinformed!
The reason I thought they were running all the ACs this week and next week is that when I chose my AC date, the only options were during that period..
But in hindsight that was probably silly of me because they probably process applications in batches. So don't worry! And good luck to you too!

• 🤝
Reactions: jkjk99 and DJMG

Teniola Adigun

Jan 8, 2021
Does anyone have advice on answering the "In which areas of law do you want to practice & why?" question? I'm writing about my interest in energy law because my home community is heavily reliant upon the oil and gas industry and I'm eager to be involved in an industry which is currently evolving to become more sustainable. I'm a non-law student, so other than my personal experiences I'm finding it hard to contextualise. Is this an ok way to frame my answer?
Perhaps there's a specific case you can use as an example to support what you've said?

Reactions: BiancaR and Ricky

CA98

Nov 11, 2019
From what I recall you could not preference between spring or summer on the skadden app. Am I wrong?
no that seems familiar! I must be getting confused with all the other firms ahaha. Still, I don't think it is worth speculating on things like whether they're assessing candidates in reverse order of application - you only see a very small sample size on this forum at the end of the day.

AS2000

Distinguished Member
Nov 15, 2020
Don't worry friend, I got the rejection as well! Sad because I attended all of their graduate recruitment events around work, met them at Law Fairs and spent hours/days researching the firm and putting together the commercial awareness answer. I'm sure people will disagree, but I'm gutted and it honestly feels like wasted time
I feel for you. It is heartbreaking when you attend all of the events with a firm, network with the firm's employees and basically put hours into your app only to be rejected. I had a similar experience, but, in the end, I think you always find something that you may like even more and something that suits you better. I am sure you will come out of this rejection much better!

• 🤝
Reactions: FM302989

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
It’s a document review and a situational judgement test. Also remember I did it back-to-back even though I didn’t want to, so not sure if it’s an option.
Honestly don’t think you can prepare for it

Go on the practice tests they send through. It is not a Watson Glaser.

SST is just a normal SST. You just rank the choices in order of what you would do/how you would feel. Not really much to practice for that. Just think how the firm expects their trainees to act.

Thank you!!

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hey! Just wanted to ask about the work experience section on the application forms, it almost always says to do it in a chronological order with most recent first. I get what that means but then always get confused in terms of the dates, so do you guys do it in a chronological order in terms of which work experience ended when, or do you order them in terms of when each one started? I don't know if my question is clear but for example, my work experience A started in September 2018 and ended in June 2020; my work experience B started in September 2019 and ended in March 2020, so which one do I put as most recent? Because technically work experience B is most recent because I started it after work experience A, but then work experience A ended later than work experience B.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey! Just wanted to ask about the work experience section on the application forms, it almost always says to do it in a chronological order with most recent first. I get what that means but then always get confused in terms of the dates, so do you guys do it in a chronological order in terms of which work experience ended when, or do you order them in terms of when each one started? I don't know if my question is clear but for example, my work experience A started in September 2018 and ended in June 2020; my work experience B started in September 2019 and ended in March 2020, so which one do I put as most recent? Because technically work experience B is most recent because I started it after work experience A, but then work experience A ended later than work experience B.

Reverse chronological order from the end date of each entry

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    any news from NRF post telephone? my interviewer told me i would hear early this week, so getting kind of worried but at the same time i've only seen one person with an AC invite

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.