2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Guys.... I GOT A VACATION SCHEME FOR DLA PIPER!!!!! I have been sobbing all night over it because this is the third year that I've tried and I finally made it! I still can't believe it!!!! I had the most wonderful feedback as well and I am over the moon, it couldn't have been better :D Thank you ALL for your help <3 It's a real lesson in never giving up if you feel that a firm is right for you - you just have to keep building your knowledge and embrace all available opportunities.
    Amazing news! Very well done :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: cmaj

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have 249 words on a 250 word question and it won't let me submit it??? Its says the field must be less than 250 words even though it is

Paragraph spacing, bullet points and sometimes even special characteristics like % $ £ will register as a seperate word. You will be able to find a word or two to cut I suspect.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Willkie are currently recruiting for trainees who can start in Sept 2021,2022 and 2023. On Legal Cheek it says they have 6 training contracts in total. This leads me to the question of whether that means only 2 trainees will be taken on each year. Can anyone who has attended any presentations with Willkie provide an insight into this?

Pretty sure its 5 and that's per year.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, for the Macfarlanes application, can you leave the "other activities" section empty? The section asks to give details of time spent out of education or work, for example time spent overseas. I don't have anything like that unless you count time spent abroad during a holiday? Would leaving the section leaving empty look bad?

No won't look bad as you will have been in employment or in education.

Reactions: Lily721

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Every time I paste my cover letter and questions on Travers Smith application and I review it in the last section, there is no spaces between the paragraphs.

Also, I copied my responses from a text editor and not MS Word as they suggested.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem!

@Jacob Miller how did you do it?

Thank you.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Every time I paste my cover letter and questions on Travers Smith application and I review it in the last section, there is no spaces between the paragraphs.

Also, I copied my responses from a text editor and not MS Word as they suggested.

Thank you.

I copied and pasted from a pages document (similar to word) and had no formatting issues lol.. maybe try that?

Reactions: Dwight

VivianeS

Dec 25, 2020
    Dumb question maybe, but is there a difference between business and commercial news? Am I over interpreting when saying that the former suggests a narrower approach (deal) whilst the latter relates to a broader topic (regulatory laws, political implications etc)?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Thank you.
    Maybe a daft question, but have you definitely got the spaces in at the point of the text editor in the app platform? Maybe need to add them back in manually at that stage.

I've got to be honest, I pasted mine from MS word as far as I can remember and I don't remember running into any issues that manual editing on their platform couldn't fix. Sent my app in well over a year ago though so I'd be lying if I said I remembered it super clearly!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Thank you.

Pretty sure that might be standard for notepad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Dumb question maybe, but is there a difference between business and commercial news? Am I over interpreting when saying that the former suggests a narrower approach (deal) whilst the latter relates to a broader topic (regulatory laws, political implications etc)?

There isn’t any difference really, it’s just different ways of phrasing the same matter. I wouldn’t over think it as the “broader” things you have highlighted still impact businesses.

happygoluckyyy

• Nov 6, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from Simmons for the summer vs, I did my VI and tests back in nov and havent heard since!
    Hi, did my VI and tests and haven't heard back yet (but only did them a few days bac
    Does anyone know how long it takes for Simmons & Simmons to respond after their [situational] judgement test?

sent an app on a whim and heard back almost a month later on Jan 4th for a VI and more online tests

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.