2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AS858

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 48
Aug 3, 2018
Just got a telephone interview for a direct TC application I made to White & Case last cycle!! If anyone has any advice (even a crumb) I would be so grateful
Hi, I did a Vac Scheme at W&C and here are some tips:
  • Mention that they are a full service firm compared to other American firms --> they take pride in their long presence in London and the fact that London is very important to them.
  • Mention the word "cross-border" a lot --> they take pride that most of the work they do has an international element.
  • For your "why law" answer make sure you include something related to the city and why a city law career appeals to you over IB, consulting, barrister etc.
  • If you mention a deal really understand it and critically why it's important to you. --> for instance, I spoke about a project finance deal in Africa and why it was important to me and my career.
  • Be ready to explain your undergraduate course and the university you go/went to --> try to be very passionate about it.
  • Finally, as usual make sure all your answers are as succinct as possible and use STAR or CAR for competencies.
Good luck! I hope it goes well.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    • Mention that they are a full service firm compared to other American firms --> they take pride in their long presence in London and the fact that London is very important to them.
    • Mention the word "cross-border" a lot --> they take pride that most of the work they do has an international element.
    • For your "why law" answer make sure you include something related to the city and why a city law career appeals to you over IB, consulting, barrister etc.
    • If you mention a deal really understand it and critically why it's important to you. --> for instance, I spoke about a project finance deal in Africa and why it was important to me and my career.
    • Be ready to explain your undergraduate course and the university you go/went to --> try to be very passionate about it.
    • Finally, as usual make sure all your answers are as succinct as possible and use STAR or CAR for competencies.
    Thank you so much for this I really appreciate it!!

Reactions: AS858

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Thanks for the reply though I think you misunderstand me. My A Levels are fine. This is just a question about my AS Levels and whether its compulsory to include them
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone ever looks at your AS Levels once you've completed the full A Level? Unless you've done some courses just to AS Level, I don't think there's any need to mention your AS grades if you have full A Level in the subject.

Reactions: cmaj, Idlewild and Ricky

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020

What is CAR? I've never heard of it haha

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Samantha

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone ever looks at your AS Levels once you've completed the full A Level? Unless you've done some courses just to AS Level, I don't think there's any need to mention your AS grades if you have full A Level in the subject.
    Before 2016 people had a separate AS and an A Level. I have four AS levels and three A Levels. They’re all separate although the AS levels count towards your A levels

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    yes! Say if it was tell us about a deal we’ve done

I had this question in a few interviews. Tooting my own horn, but in my Shearman & Sterling interview, the partner said my answer to this question was the best he had ever heard. I left thinking I had the offer, and then they rejected me...:p.

When discussing a deal, I would see this as an opportunity not to just show your understanding of the firm but to also show your commercial awareness and demonstrate your passion for the work the firm does. I would find a deal that interests you and then focus on the most interesting aspects of that deal to you. Perhaps it's how many offices and departments of the firm coordinated to work on that particular deal? Perhaps it's the fact that the firm had to negotiate regulatory clearances across multiple jurisdictions? Perhaps it's the fact that the deal itself was interesting to you, based on the tactics and negotiations in the lead up to the deal? I'd also suggest researching widely around the deal so that you are prepared for any follow up questions on the particular companies involved.

rb26

Star Member
  • Sep 6, 2019
    I am currently filling out the employment section for Browne Jacobson (attached). I am finding it rather counter-intuitive having to type out the dates/ position held when they are asked below.

(Below this is a box where you detail your responsibilities etc. so that is not what is requested in this box)

Can someone please confirm that I am doing this correct/ provide any suggestion of how to fill this out without it appearing repetitive. (@Jessica Booker maybe?)

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 14.21.00.png
      Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 14.21.00.png
      121.4 KB · Views: 50

Simba281

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 4, 2020
    I had this question in a few interviews. Tooting my own horn, but in my Shearman & Sterling interview, the partner said my answer to this question was the best he had ever heard. I left thinking I had the offer, and then they rejected me...:p.

When discussing a deal, I would see this as an opportunity not to just show your understanding of the firm but to also show your commercial awareness and demonstrate your passion for the work the firm does. I would find a deal that interests you and then focus on the most interesting aspects of that deal to you. Perhaps it's how many offices and departments of the firm coordinated to work on that particular deal? Perhaps it's the fact that the firm had to negotiate regulatory clearances across multiple jurisdictions? Perhaps it's the fact that the deal itself was interesting to you, based on the tactics and negotiations in the lead up to the deal? I'd also suggest researching widely around the deal so that you are prepared for any follow up questions on the particular companies involved.

thank you Jaysen!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.