General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    As a couple of people have mentioned, I think this would make an awesome thread!

I live in Aberdeen and my AC's were in London, so a lot of my day before the AC was spent travelling (see below)

View attachment 2535

Typically, my day would start around 6am for a train so I'd get working early- revising for different parts of the AC. I would typically practise my answers, use queue cards etc. Read the news, make sure I was totally up to date on everything.

When I got to London, I'd typically done more or less 8 hours work so I'd normally take a break for a couple of hours- drop my bag into the hotel and go get some lunch. I often booked a mock interview with Rare (I was a rare candidate) for late the day before so if I had one, I'd hop to their office after eating and get that done. I would normally do a little more work when I got back to the hotel but maybe only another half hour or hour. In the evening, I made a conscious effort to switch off and take my mind away from the AC. I'd normally order sushi (Aberdeen doesn't have any Sushi delivery :( )and video call my fiancee for a while then just watch Netflix or something and get an early night.

Morning of, I'd try and be up at a decent time, showered, suited and booted with enough time to get a coffee. I'm terrible for skipping breakfast so I normally wouldn't eat (don't recommend) and would try and be at the firm about 20 minutes before I needed to. Typically I would either walk or catch an Uber to the AC as I always feel like I'm coated in dust after being on the tube!

After the AC, I'd normally head back to the hotel to change and then go out for dinner and hit up one or two of my favourite bars (Nightjar cocktail bar on City Rd is usually a must). I normally booked a later train home so I could chill out in the city for a little while before getting back on the train.

Really interested to hear more people's answers here- ace question!
    Don't see myself topping that any time soon!

PS: great choice re Nightjar - one of my favourites too!

Reactions: Jacob Miller

legalCheek27

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 29, 2020
    Currently preparing my answer for Reed Smith’s research question: “What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? What impact do they have and why?”

Can anyone point me in the direction of any non-generic issues (i.e I’m aiming to veer away from standard, vague headline issues like AI or Covid-19). Looking for something current and less widely discussed, but still broad enough to affect the legal profession/ commercial solicitors as a whole.

sl399

Oct 20, 2020
    Hi guys,

I have a virtual AC coming up (case study + presentation + Q&A) where they've said I need to prepare a 10 min presentation. I think this means that there is no drafting part so I just need to verbally deliver my conclusions over video - in this case should you prepare a powerpoint or just speak to assessors without the hassle of sharing your screen etc?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi guys,

I have a virtual AC coming up (case study + presentation + Q&A) where they've said I need to prepare a 10 min presentation. I think this means that there is no drafting part so I just need to verbally deliver my conclusions over video - in this case should you prepare a powerpoint or just speak to assessors without the hassle of sharing your screen etc?
    I would personally approach it much in the same way that I would approach a normal AC CS interview presentation- i.e., no slides/ aides apart from some notes. You'll likely spend more time trying to format the slides etc than is worth it :)

Keep an eye out for my article being released on Monday though- it's a comprehensive break down of case studies!

Reactions: sl399 and Lisa Lowe

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    I would personally approach it much in the same way that I would approach a normal AC CS interview presentation- i.e., no slides/ aides apart from some notes. You'll likely spend more time trying to format the slides etc than is worth it :)

Keep an eye out for my article being released on Monday though- it's a comprehensive break down of case studies!

Hi Jacob, where can I view your previous week’s articles?

sl399

Oct 20, 2020

Thank you! :) Where are you releasing this article?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thank you! :) Where are you releasing this article?
    This will be released on Monday buddy. Usually in the afternoon, it will probably be pinned by @Jaysen on release.

Hi Jacob, where can I view your previous week’s articles?
    This is my article covering the foundations of applications and practice areas from last week: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-and-applications-monday-article-series.3163/

This if my first article, from the week before, which is a comprehensive breakdown of assessed negotiation exercises at assessment centres and vac schemes:
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ssed-negotiations-monday-article-series.3018/

Hope you enjoy them!

Reactions: sl399 and Lisa Lowe

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

At an AC I did recently, the case study "presentation" was just delivered orally - there was no screen sharing or powerpoint. It might depend on the firm though, I guess?

Reactions: sl399

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello again :) haha. Ok fab thank you. Did you do the same for the work experience section? I usually bullet point on my CV but feel as though I should write in full sentences for the app?

It depends on the event. Sometimes a description really isn’t needed, especially if the title is pretty self explanatory.

Reactions: Bethany

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello again :) haha. Ok fab thank you. Did you do the same for the work experience section? I usually bullet point on my CV but feel as though I should write in full sentences for the app?

Work experience should be written out in prose though. Just ensure it is super console with no filler phrases.

Reactions: Bethany

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Thanks for all the help you have given!
    Just wanted to hear your thoughts - some firms have expressed that they wish for an in-person component for summer vacation schemes, for durations of 2-4 weeks physical component. How likely is this, given the current situation?

Thank you so much!

Reactions: Zaynah

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Thanks for all the help you have given!
    Just wanted to hear your thoughts - some firms have expressed that they wish for an in-person component for summer vacation schemes, for durations of 2-4 weeks physical component. How likely is this, given the current situation?

Thank you so much!

Unlikely in my opinion. They will have to apply it consistently for all vac schemers and I think there is a considerable risk that not only the vacation scheme students themselves but also the supervisors will still be working from home.

To me September is the watershed of when things realistically will be back to normal for internships. I am currently helping to plan one for late August, and its highly likely that will be virtual rather than in person at this rate.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Holly

Law123

Star Member
    Mar 31, 2020
    Hi everyone, sorry if this is the wrong thread, I was wondering whether anyone has been in the same boat as me and would be able to give me some advice. I had a virtual vacation scheme last year in August, but unfortunately I wasn't offered a training contract. I recently had a feedback call and I asked whether I could apply for the vacation scheme again for this year. I was encouraged to apply again or go for the direct training contract route.

I'm not sure which one is best in my situation. I understand it is highly likely this years vacation scheme will also be virtual, and they may recruit majority from the vacation scheme. Has anyone been in the same boat, or any advice as to which route is best? Thank you very much!! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone else feel like this week there has been a lot less news than at other times this month??

It is a strange time - a lot of candidates are in exams at the moment, so tends to be a little quieter in the 2/3 week of Jan. Reckon it will be crazy this time next week though.

Amy_22

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2020
    Hi :)

I wasn't sure where to write this comment but I hope this helps someone who is in a similar position to me.

I achieved ABC at A-Level and a high 2:1 (69%) in Law from a Russell Group university. Because of my A-Levels, the firms I can apply to are limited. I'm always checking firm entry requirements, specifically A-Levels, and wanted to share an example with you. Chambers Student and Legal Cheek both state that Hogan Lovells' A-Level entry requirement is AAB, however, the firm's website states that they require 'strong academic performance from GCSE onwards and expect candidates to consistently achieve at least a 2:1 for the majority of their degree modules at undergraduate level'. Because of this lack of clarity on their A-Level requirements, I emailed Grad Rec with my academics and asked if they would still consider my application. To my surprise, Grad Rec responded saying they would accept an application from me!

I wanted to share this with people because I discounted applying for many firms where I relied on (trusted) sources like Chambers Student and Legal Cheek. This has taught me that if you really want to apply to a firm but you don't meet their entry requirements or if their entry requirements aren't clear on their website, always email and ask!

*happily drafting my Hogan Lovells application knowing I won't be rejected on academics alone*

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hi :)

I wasn't sure where to write this comment but I hope this helps someone who is in a similar position to me.

I achieved ABC at A-Level and a high 2:1 (69%) in Law from a Russell Group university. Because of my A-Levels, the firms I can apply to are limited. I'm always checking firm entry requirements, specifically A-Levels, and wanted to share an example with you. Chambers Student and Legal Cheek both state that Hogan Lovells' A-Level entry requirement is AAB, however, the firm's website states that they require 'strong academic performance from GCSE onwards and expect candidates to consistently achieve at least a 2:1 for the majority of their degree modules at undergraduate level'. Because of this lack of clarity on their A-Level requirements, I emailed Grad Rec with my academics and asked if they would still consider my application. To my surprise, Grad Rec responded saying they would accept an application from me!

I wanted to share this with people because I discounted applying for many firms where I relied on (trusted) sources like Chambers Student and Legal Cheek. This has taught me that if you really want to apply to a firm but you don't meet their entry requirements or if their entry requirements aren't clear on their website, always email and ask!

*happily drafting my Hogan Lovells application knowing I won't be rejected on academics alone*
    I noticed that a couple of the firms I applied to this year (Addleshaw Goddard and Irwin Mitchell, off the top of my head) have scrapped their A level requirements altogether. It does seem like something more firms are putting aside now.

Reactions: Amy_22

kls

Distinguished Member
    Jan 11, 2021
    Having absolutely flunked my one AC last year, I wondered if anyone could give any tips for preparing for an assessment centre. I think last year I was completely unprepared and this year just don’t know how best to go about it! Any help would be much appreciated!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.