2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
Would I be able to message someone who has done the CMS AC this year? I'm really nervous about the case study, especially with the logistics of it all being virtual, so any advice is appreciated.

Sara648926

Jan 15, 2021
Still waiting back from:
- Dechert
- L&W
- Mofo
- FF
- Links
- Shearman
- Ropes

Working on Cooley and Morgan today. HMU if you need some encouragement! :D we can do this.

*if anyone wants to prep for skadden together lmk
Hi! I am also working on Cooley, and I was wondering how you're tackling the 'tell us about you' question? I'm trying to decide whether to talk about why I'm a 'good fit' for the firm in this answer, or in the 'why does Cooley appeal to you' section.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Still waiting back from:
- Dechert
- L&W
- Mofo
- FF
- Links
- Shearman
- Ropes

Working on Cooley and Morgan today. HMU if you need some encouragement! :D we can do this.

*if anyone wants to prep for skadden together lmk

Hello Jon!

Let's prep for Skadden together? I'm also waiting for Mofo and Shearman(the latter I have no hope for aha)(Dechert did give me a VI so hang in there :) )

PM me :)

Reactions: Jony

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    For people with final interviews, do you ask who your interviewer will be? I thought it might be useful but i’m not sure if it’s something that’s done.

Wouldn't recommend doing this for two reasons:

1. I don’t think GR would tell you anyway because stuff like this can change last minute on the depending on who has urgent meetings/availability, so chances are even on their end they can't guarantee anything.
    2. Finding out whose interviewing you won’t change much. If anything it might make you feel like you have to cater your answers to their practice areas because a) you want to impress them or b) you want to avoid talking about something they know about in case they push you on it, which are both terrible things to do.

I know it’s hard to walk in blind and I totally get the need to control what you can but the interview is about you not the partners, so I'd really recommend just keeping your head down, focusing on your prep and being the best candidate you can be on the day. The rest of it is really non consequential

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Firms reading my test scores:
    peter capaldi GIF

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Wouldn't recommend doing this for two reasons:

1. I don’t think GR would tell you anyway because stuff like this can change last minute on the depending on who has urgent meetings/availability, so chances are even on their end they can't guarantee anything.
    2. Finding out whose interviewing you won’t change much. If anything it might make you feel like you have to cater your answers to their practice areas because a) you want to impress them or b) you want to avoid talking about something they know about, which are both terrible things to do.

I know it’s hard to walk in blind and I totally get the need to control what you can but the interview is about you not the partners, so I'd really recommend just keeping your head down, focusing on your prep and being the best candidate you can be on the day. The rest of it is really non consequential

Great advice! To give a personal story,at my first AC with a US firm(niche one though), they gave me the names of the Partner's interviewing me(they did so themselves without asking me).

On the day, both of them were swapped... lovely- wasted all my question prep aha (it unnerved me too!)

Reactions: Dheepa

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'd like to do some last minute apps (following Jaysen's post here) but realistically how likely is it to be successful? Some of the firms I'd do a last min app to I don't have much research about etc. so I'm not sure if there's much point trying? (Without sounding like negative Nancy)
    As I say to everyone who asks this, you'll never win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

If you really push yourself, one day is more than enough time to write a quality application. If you aim for 1.3 apps per day, you'll get 3 more done between now and the 31st and I like the sound of those odds! :)

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hi! I am also working on Cooley, and I was wondering how you're tackling the 'tell us about you' question? I'm trying to decide whether to talk about why I'm a 'good fit' for the firm in this answer, or in the 'why does Cooley appeal to you' section.

From the vibe from Cooley that I've read about, they seem to want folks who've done 'different' things in life. Check out Chambers. Not that they don't seem to hire non career-changers, but they really try hard to come across that way!

I'm really just going for someone sitting down for a coffee with me and asking about ... me! Aka taking the question as it is. It might help if you imagine yourself at an interview, and the interviewer's just asking you this question. The first thought I'd have is - what makes me stand out?

So I'm writing about how I was a 1st Lieutenant in the Singaporean Air Force trained to shoot down F16s, how I've lived and worked in Occupied Palestine, hitchhiked across Europe, walked the length of Scotland etc. Coffee shop introductions that stick in people's heads, making folks wonder: 'ah, I'd like to know a little more.'

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.