2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Really love how a lot of you are receiving AC and VI invites, really well done!!!

It seems like I’m the only one still waiting to hear back from all the remaining firms I’ve applied too, this is soul destroying. Only received one AC this year and that was a total flop.

Sad Cry GIF
getting one AC is still amazing! I only had one AC last year and thought that it went so badly that I was on the verge of tears on the bus back just beating myself up over how I should have said this and that etc etc but ended up getting the vac scheme!
and I'm sure more people will post about their acs/interviews than they will rejections so it always seems like everyone else is getting them
Stay positive and good luck!

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
I've seen posts about this before but I haven't seen an answer... 😅

On the Stephenson Harwood application there are 2 questions which are almost identical:

(1) Tell us when you have exceeded expectations in your work, study and/or outside interests.
  • What challenges did you experience?
  • How did you respond to those challenges?
  • What was the outcome?
and (2) Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study.
  • What was the outcome?
If you have done this application, did you answer both of these the same way but just use different examples?

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    I've seen posts about this before but I haven't seen an answer... 😅

On the Stephenson Harwood application there are 2 questions which are almost identical:

(1) Tell us when you have exceeded expectations in your work, study and/or outside interests.
    • What was the outcome?
    and (2) Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study.
    • What was the outcome?
    If you have done this application, did you answer both of these the same way but just use different examples?
    I sent off my application this week, and there's no longer both of these questions on the application I don't think? Only the second one!

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi, not sure if this has been answered. Where a firm references themselves with an abbreviation of their name should you still use their full name? For example Orrick reference themselves as Orrick in their own questions but not sure if I should use Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe or not?

Hiya,

I would personally used their full name, just for formalities sake at application stage. At interviews I don't think it matters so much especially in your case where the full name is quite long. :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: LS12

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Oh really? I am finalising my application now and both are still in it!! Not sure what to do then...
    Really?? I had: 1. Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study. 2. Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study. 3. Describe how you came to the decision to apply to Stephenson Harwood. 4. Are there any other particular matters which you wish to mention?

Bit weird haha!

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    I
    Really?? I had: 1. Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study. 2. Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study. 3. Describe how you came to the decision to apply to Stephenson Harwood. 4. Are there any other particular matters which you wish to mention?

Bit weird haha!
    So weird!!! I have just made an account with an old email address that I don't use and the questions are the same as the ones you had! I will just go with this one and email them with my change of email address...!

Reactions: Haz

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    I've received a WG invite today and as soon as I got it I replied with my medical docs for adjustments... GR said they're only active between 9-5pm Mon-Fri but they haven't replied confirming the adjustments and the test is due 9am Monday :/ do you think it's okay for me to just wait to do the test once they send me the adjusted one?
    @Jessica Booker do you have any advice on this possibly? many thanks!

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
    Nov 9, 2020

Bit weird haha!
    I have these questions as well!

Reactions: Haz

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    I don't know if this has already been covered on this thread. As a non-law student in my first round of VS applications, I would love to know the basics of what a VI entails, and how it differs to an AC? Will it require commercial awareness? I have been invited to a Latham & Watkins Summer VS VI interview and feel quite nervous... Any advice for three days of interview preparation? Or if anyone who has been through the Latham app process and can offer any advice I would appreciate it. :)

Tavistocksfinest

Star Member
    Jan 3, 2020
    I don't know if this has already been covered on this thread. As a non-law student in my first round of VS applications, I would love to know the basics of what a VI entails, and how it differs to an AC? Will it require commercial awareness? I have been invited to a Latham & Watkins Summer VS VI interview and feel quite nervous... Any advice for three days of interview preparation? Or if anyone who has been through the Latham app process and can offer any advice I would appreciate it. :)
    An AC will be virtually but with other people, and will usually be more conversational (asking questions and follow-ups). A VI is automated questions, with a time window to answer in and then you record yourself responding instead of live responses

congrats on the VI! When did you apply?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.