2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Hi guys, for BCLP's question relating to 'detailing academic awards, positions of responsibilities' etc., it states to list in bullet points. How much detail did people go into? Did you talk about the skills that you gained as a result? Many thanks for the help!

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    All resolved here.

Just hope it gets removed from TSR too - as I said earlier, if someone is on there too, it would be helpful if you could report the posts there.

Thanks to those who reported it here.
    The individual is contacting DLA to let them know that it is a troll. I have said that DLA can contact me if they need to speak to anyone here about it.

Hopefully the troll doesn't actually have the materials and its just malicous behaviour against the individual, rather than the individual and the firm. If they did, I would suspect it is someone from the same assessment centre, so might be fairly easy to identify anyway.

Thank god!!!! Thank you for addressing it Jessica. I think I speak for everyone when I say that the forum is so lucky to have you and the rest of the team in matters like this... it isn't really how any Saturday night should be spent! I just feel awfully sorry for the individual involved. I hope they know that the TCLA community would support them going forward.

I don't know whether it would be worth us deleting or editing any previous posts that mention the account name/individual's name?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    It is a troll... I have seen some pretty awful things in my time on other forums, but don't think I have ever seen anyone be malicious enough to pretend to be someone else in a way that could risk their future employment.
    Wow, that is awful! Thank you for reaching out to the real person Jess, I can't even imagine if someone deliberately tried to impersonate me to show either myself or Gibson Dunn in a negative light... the potential repercussions don't even bear thinking about especially given how hard it is to get a vac scheme or a TC!

Last edited by a moderator:

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Super random question - what benefit, if any, does naming people you know at a firm on the application when it asks if you know anyone there? Do they contact them for a reference?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I don't know whether it would be worth us deleting or editing any previous posts that mention the account name/individual's name?
    Good call - I will do this now....

If I edit anyone's posts and you wonder why, it might be as you have quoted/replied to something with the individual's name in

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have been wondering this too and it’s definitely age discrimination. They saw they will consider all apps because if they didn’t I’m guessing someone could actually sue them? I’m non law so apols if that’s not how this works.

Definitely not age discrimination unfortunately....

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Can anyone recommend any good commercial litigation cases (or in general) for HFW? - cases on their website seem to be anonymised @Jacob Miller
    Don't know much about litigation, but HFW recently advised on a major green loan which I think would be a really interesting discussion as it could highlight the increased focus on green debt and green bonds.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Can anyone recommend any good commercial litigation cases (or in general) for HFW? - cases on their website seem to be anonymised @Jacob Miller
    Not for HFW but still may be of interest, the case of Halliburton v Chubb is one of the most significant litigation/arbitration decisions in recent years which I'd encourage you to have a look at if you haven't already/aren't familiar with it :)

Edit: HSF have a nice summary of the case's significance and its facts here https://hsfnotes.com/arbitration/20...fies-english-law-on-arbitrator-apparent-bias/

Reactions: Hele25 and Jacob Miller

gilo

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 27, 2020
    Not for HFW but still may be of interest, the case of Halliburton v Chubb is one of the most significant litigation/arbitration decisions in recent years which I'd encourage you to have a look at if you haven't already/aren't familiar with it :)

Edit: HSF have a nice summary of the case's significance and its facts here https://hsfnotes.com/arbitration/20...fies-english-law-on-arbitrator-apparent-bias/
    So how could I tie this into why i want to apply to HFW. My point is that i like litigation because of xyz, HFW have a good commercial litigation practice (tier 1) and then how could I tie analysis of this case to illustrate the point.

Gracey94

Jan 20, 2021
    I have to say, it's very interesting to me that you say this as I have always been under the impression that it is a big no-no to call a professional by their first name - I am often myself addressed as 'Mr' in an e-mail even though I'm a student! I trust you though, so if you think the first name is better I will use that :)
    Remember someone might identify or prefer to be addressed by a different pronoun, so to avoid offending them or being insensitive I think just using their name is best

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Once one reaches interview stage, is everyone on a level playing field? Or will grad rec sometimes have certain applicants in mind that really stood out that they just want to confirm in interview, while other interviewees would need to be really impressive in interview? This is obviously for firms that don’t do CV-blind interviewing

That’s a good question. I think it ranges for firms and I can’t speak for all. But for the firms I have interviewed at, they have all specifically said that how you perform on the day will determine your outcome.

Plus, I believe if you get to the interview stage, then you have already performed well and have met a certain criteria / benchmark / standard that they require.

So, I would assume that it’s a level playing field at interview!

Reactions: Legalmel_99
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.