2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon101

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 2, 2020
I believe I've always had the tick? Now you are making me second guess myself 😂 But yes, personally I recall always having the tick. Maybe this screenshot is from last year?
Ahahaha no both are from this year. I applied for two programmes: the first screenshot is from my application to the Spring VS and the second one is from my application to the Singapore-London TC. They're both in the same portal and I think I distinctly remember the "Candidate Review" for my Spring VS also being orange at first. But I'm very not sure ahahah, maybe we'll just have to wait for Links to get back to us but I'm not very confident. :')

Reactions: sabma and bibss

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
hi guys pwc hasn't given a deadline for their vi so when would be a reasonable time to complete? some firms in the past have given a week whereas others have given two. also any advice for it would also be appreciated!

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
hi guys pwc hasn't given a deadline for their vi so when would be a reasonable time to complete? some firms in the past have given a week whereas others have given two. also any advice for it would also be appreciated!
I went on their website to check and the deadline is on 12th February! :)

ellensdaleoriginal

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2020
Has anyone else still not heard anything back from K&E or MoFo post application?

Also, I have seen a few people who have been invited to an AC with Milbank. As they are one of the few firms that say they will only respond to successful candidates I am assuming I am unsuccessful. Is it acceptable to email grad rec and just ask for clarity? Or is the purpose of them saying they only reply to successful candidates partly so they don't have to deal with these kinds of emails? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone else still not heard anything back from K&E or MoFo post application?

Also, I have seen a few people who have been invited to an AC with Milbank. As they are one of the few firms that say they will only respond to successful candidates I am assuming I am unsuccessful. Is it acceptable to email grad rec and just ask for clarity? Or is the purpose of them saying they only reply to successful candidates partly so they don't have to deal with these kinds of emails? @Jessica Booker
I guess it is in part to minimise the number of emails. No harm in asking them though in my opinion. Worst that can happen is they ignore your email.

Reactions: ellensdaleoriginal

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a firm asks about a commercial story that interested me at interview, does talking about the increasing interest in SPACs count as a commercial story?
Don’t see why it wouldn’t be. I am seeing a reasonable amount in applications, so make sure you really nail the “why it interests you” part because it’s one of the more obvious topics at the moment.

Reactions: J32 and tk166

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, for a question asking you about a firm’s competitors - how would you expand on it, especially if you have to talk for a couple of minutes?
Think about how you could break it down. Do competitors vary by practice area, sector or geographical location. What makes them a competitor rather than just another law firm? Are there similarities in the way they work etc?

Reactions: cem

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    If a firm asks about a commercial story that interested me at interview, does talking about the increasing interest in SPACs count as a commercial story?

Definitely! I heard a lot of firms discuss it last year. Make sure you know enough about it to talk about it though and that you do have a genuine interest. I always find it easiest to talk about an area I have a real genuine interest in because I can bring in multiple different news stories and give a broad overview of one story within its context as a trend.
    Hi guys, for a question asking you about a firm’s competitors - how would you expand on it, especially if you have to talk for a couple of minutes?
    I always look at legal500 and chambers to look at competitors in practice areas, and then I think about factors like geographical reach - global/regional? method of expansion? profit centres? strength in particular (practice groups in) cities? No firm has just one competitor! If you have TCLA Premium as well, look at the law firm profiles as this will give you some good pointers on where to start researching competitors. You could also align this with why you want to join a particular firm, e.g. "Your competitors do x whereas you do x which is why I want to work for you and not them".

Reactions: Dheepa and tk166

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020

Absolutely but with the SPAC boom I'd recommend trying to get more specific about it and targeting sub-trends. Big ones off the top of my head are changes to how the sponsor 'promote' is structured to incentivise high quality acquisitions, US SPACs gearing up to hunt European assets and how SPACs slot into the private equity ecosystem.

In the UK context in particular, also worth discussing that the LSE desperately wants to make SPAC fundraising more attractive and the FCA-as-Listing-Authority is reviewing the Listing Rules to see if that can be done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.