2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Any tips on group exercises in the virtual environment? I’ve been told at an AC last year I could’ve pushed my ideas more
Hiya

Group exercises are always quite hard because its hard to find a balance between getting your points across without being too brash and being a team player without looking like you are sitting back and not participating.

I think my biggest tip is being confident whilst being considerate. If you feel like you have something to add, don't be afraid to say something like " that's a great point X, if I could just add......" or "just to follow up on the great points raised by X, I just wanted to also add that .....".

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying something like this, its more so how you say it.

Hope this helps a bit!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys, for a question asking you about a firm’s competitors - how would you expand on it, especially if you have to talk for a couple of minutes?

Just adding to some of the great advice you've already been given. Think about practice area strengths, industry strengths, geographical presence, structure of the firm (swiss verein or one firm), and clients. After identifying competitors based on those things, I would delve into why the firm you're applying to is still stronger than its competitors. Consider things like revenues, deal values, and even things like if they've been selected to be on panels for companies etc. The latter especially shows how trusted a firm is in that particular area.

Last edited:

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi!

I have a virtual interview with a US firm coming up as part of an AC and had a few Q's

1) How would a blurred background look? Would it be seen as unprofessional/weird

2) If a firm asks for a commercial topic, is it better to talk about something that I am genuinely interested in rather than tailor a news story to their key departments ?

I used a blurred background for everything, including in the working world with client meetings! I think it's more professional than a non-blurred background as it's not as personal and is less distracting. Plus it makes you look like you're in a real life portrait headshot hehe

Pamela Chougne GIF

Reactions: stemlawgal

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    How do people answer ‘why not investment banking’ in interviews?

Someone's already given you the "Can't do maths" answer and for what it's worth I always led with that and got a laugh out of every interviewer (bar one :rolleyes: ).

I think investment bankers only focus on the financial side of things, and especially as a junior you're not seeing much else besides the pitch presentations and modelling you're being asked to do. I think with law you get a greater exposure to the full picture of a transaction and all the issues (outside of just the financial ones) that come up with it. That was just the conclusion I came to from a small stint at an IB.

Last edited:

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    I've received BCLP's online test and was wondering if anyone could confirm whether the critical thinking tests are WG style or verbal reasoning? Also, does anyone know BCLP's competencies? Seems so elusive, can't seem to find it anywhere!

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    I also got an RPC offer! :eek: :eek: Honestly can't believe it because I thought the case study went SO poorly, thank you to everyone who gave me advice on how to get better at them!

Also, just wanted to say that it is definitely worth doing last minute applications. This cycle has taught me that the whole process is really quite random and there's no telling which applications will go down well - every time I thought I really aced something I seemed to then get a rejection, then when I thought things went badly it was the opposite 🤣 My friend once said to me that firms can't know you're there if you don't apply and I think that's so true - just keep persevering on!

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    I also got an RPC offer! :eek: :eek: Honestly can't believe it because I thought the case study went SO poorly, thank you to everyone who gave me advice on how to get better at them!

Also, just wanted to say that it is definitely worth doing last minute applications. This cycle has taught me that the whole process is really quite random and there's no telling which applications will go down well - every time I thought I really aced something I seemed to then get a rejection, then when I thought things went badly it was the opposite 🤣 My friend once said to me that firms can't know you're there if you don't apply and I think that's so true - just keep persevering on!

This is brilliant! Congratulations 🥳😍

• Love
    Reactions: Victoria R

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018

Congratulations!! Great way to start the new month!

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I'm no
    I've received BCLP's online test and was wondering if anyone could confirm whether the critical thinking tests are WG style or verbal reasoning? Also, does anyone know BCLP's competencies? Seems so elusive, can't seem to find it anywhere!
    it's very similar to the Links test - situational judgements with a little bit of WG style questioning at the end

What qualities do BCLP look for?
    Well rounded individuals who can demonstrate commercial awareness, an interest in current affairs, intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurialism and creativity. Strong intellectually capability, communication and interpersonal skills, drive and commitment, analytical ability, resilience and knowledge of the legal sector / market with an appreciation for client demands and needs.

Reactions: DanielleM and layk

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Someone's already given you the "Can't do maths" answer and for what it's worth I always led with that and got a laugh out of every interviewer (bar one :rolleyes: ).

I think investment bankers only focus on the financial side of things, and especially as a junior you're not seeing much else besides the pitch presentations and modelling you're being asked to do. I think with law you get a greater exposure to the full picture of a transaction and all the issues (outside of just the financial ones) that come up with it. That was just the conclusion I came to from a small stint at an IB.

Just out of curiosity, which firms have asked “why not investment banking?” I’ve never been asked this anywhere

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    I'm no

it's very similar to the Links test - situational judgements with a little bit of WG style questioning at the end

Well rounded individuals who can demonstrate commercial awareness, an interest in current affairs, intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurialism and creativity. Strong intellectually capability, communication and interpersonal skills, drive and commitment, analytical ability, resilience and knowledge of the legal sector / market with an appreciation for client demands and needs.
    Thank you so much!!!

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    I'm no

@Danielle J I think you asked the same question earlier about BCLP. Some tips here :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just out of curiosity, which firms have asked “why not investment banking?” I’ve never been asked this anywhere

Almost every firm I've ever interviewed at actually. But it only comes up because I include the IB stint I had in my work experience section. I think the "Why law and not X" is a natural question for anyone that has had work experience in fields that coincide closely with commercial law. Partner interviews especially are very much based off the things you write in your app but I wouldn't worry about it otherwise though, no interviewer is going to throw something like that your way randomly. ☺️

Reactions: Daniel Boden and S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.