2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I am feeling so overwhelmed at the moment. I am trying to come up with examples for different competency questions and I am blank. Completely blank. I feel like I have nothing to talk about. But I also don't want to make up things. How are people tackling such questions and preparing examples?
    Hi,

My recent article on this topic might help you think of some examples based on the exemplar answers I've used:

If you're really struggling to get to grips with examples, I would recommend identifying they key points you need to hit for each question and working back therefrom rather than trying to shoehorn an example in first.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lily721 and packhorse

I_S

Nov 5, 2019
    From what I have gathered, it seems that this application cycle is so much more competitive than previous cycles. Does anyone have any idea of how long this might take to correct, or is this how it is going to be from now on?

Reactions: futuretraineecity

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Depends a lot on the applicant. Applicants who've got IB experience will likely be asked about it, similarly those with consulting experience etc.

I've personally been asked "why law and not stay a full-time day trader?" and "why law and not a career entrepreneur?" (as a result of being a trader and having launched a few businesses). I was once at an AC and another applicant was a junior doctor in the NHS, he was asked "why law and not continue in medicine?" etc.

Yeah this definitely makes sense! Thank you :)

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    From what I have gathered, it seems that this application cycle is so much more competitive than previous cycles. Does anyone have any idea of how long this might take to correct, or is this how it is going to be from now on?
    I guess its hard to predict, in terms of volume of applications this may lessen over the coming few years, but then again, there would technically be more applications anyway as the population rises. Perhaps, this competitive cycle has raised the standard of applications in general, meaning firms may expect this quality to continue. Its hard to say and I am definitely no expert, but I guess all we can do is try our best and it'll work out in the end :)

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I think if Mayer Brown are experiencing what a lot of the other firms are this year in terms of just a never-ending influx of applicants, they might be re-considering their criteria for AC?

avalanche dat GIF

(this is what I imagine graduate recruitment looks like :eek: )
    What do you mean?

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Depends a lot on the applicant. Applicants who've got IB experience will likely be asked about it, similarly those with consulting experience etc.

I've personally been asked "why law and not stay a full-time day trader?" and "why law and not a career entrepreneur?" (as a result of being a trader and having launched a few businesses). I was once at an AC and another applicant was a junior doctor in the NHS, he was asked "why law and not continue in medicine?" etc.

Worried I'm going to get "why law and not crazy cat lady?" :oops:

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Does any know if there's an option to pause briefly between Simmons&Simmons's online written exercise and VI, e.g. by not clicking a certain button? Just want to see if it's possible to do my written assessment in pj 😅

Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s the video interview first. Once that’s completed, then it’s the written exercise. But you have to click a button to continue to the written exercise. :)

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    I found it really nice and easy on my laptop because the screen was a lot bigger, which I personally thought made it easier for me to focus. With the tasks requiring a faster reaction speed, the game instructs you to press certain keys, which I found easier than pressing on my phone because I could physically feel the keys (I'm not sure if this makes sense, it just meant that I could rest my fingers on them instead of being less steady with my fingers in the air and pre-empting certain answers). I had to actually switch from my phone to my computer after the first task because it kept registering that I had pressed the wrong thing, which meant I scored near zero.
    Can you switch from phone to laptop midway then? it's annoying you can't do the practice on a laptop!

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    The main thing that holds open university candidates back is not that they studied at the open university, but more their academics more generally. They are much more likely to not meet A-level grade criteria.

They also tend to not have the extra curricular activities too, where they are generally working full time.

But if they submit a good application, they can be recruited. I have done so in the past.
    Thanks for this @Jessica Booker, I really appreciate the insight.
    Fo you have any suggestions on how to get around the extra-curriculars issue? I do work part-time and run my own business, so any extra time is in the gym or 🍷 😂 It’s just difficult to know what to mention/highlight. Is it about showing outside interest/being able to work as a team player?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Depends how long the recession goes on for. But I would expect it to pick up in the 2022-23 recruitment cycle based on my previous experience.

Reactions: gilo

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Fo you have any suggestions on how to get around the extra-curriculars issue? I do work part-time and run my own business, so any extra time is in the gym or 🍷 😂 It’s just difficult to know what to mention/highlight. Is it about showing outside interest/being able to work as a team player?
    For what it's worth, I'm at a 'conventional' uni and don't have EC's coming out my ears (in fact, only like 1 in the entire time I've been at uni) - 99% of what I talk about comes from work history/ work experiences/ life experiences/ running my businesses etc

Reactions: Hele25

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    I think the fact you run your own business is immensely impressive and should impress firms. I'd even go as far as saying that extracurricular activity is perhaps the focus because most students dont, as you do, run their own business. Extracurricular is usually a supplement for actual experience in time, team, and organisational management. Team player could be exemplified by any engagements you have with your business, whether that's clients, working with people from other companies etc. Also working part time is also pretty impressive, do you work in a team?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Worried I'm going to get "why law and not crazy cat lady?" :oops:
    There just isn’t an answer to that question!! Being a crazy cat lady is so much better than a career in law in my opinion. 😂

(here’s my cat Sid that turned me into one)

Attachments

• 76EECDD0-A698-440C-A0DC-21EA1A23953F.jpeg
      76EECDD0-A698-440C-A0DC-21EA1A23953F.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 16

user254

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2020
    For BCLP, I have two test invites on my apply4law homepage and they are both titled the same. I have completed one and it has been recorded as finished but not sure whether the other is a duplicate or another test I have to complete? Should I contact grad rec to ask?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.