2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chidiogo Obidike

Standard Member
Jan 27, 2021
Hi,

I was wondering. If you're Nigerian who did undergraduate degree in Nigeria as well. How have you managed to fill the undergraduate courses %Grade columns?
My transcript doesn't %grades (60%,70%). It only shows grades (A,B).

Help!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yup! Not sure what to make of it tbh, was invited to WG 3 weeks ago today and then completed it a few days after the invite
That’s no time at all for graduate recruiters at this time of year. I don’t think there is anything to make of it in all honesty.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering. If you're Nigerian who did undergraduate degree in Nigeria as well. How have you managed to fill the undergraduate courses %Grade columns?
My transcript doesn't %grades (60%,70%). It only shows grades (A,B).

Help!!
They you just put your grades as you know them. Not all degrees convert to them percentages and firms know that.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I forgot to mention I am currently studying the GDL in an application - should I leave a note?
You definitely should include this in applications. It’s too late now, unless you can update the application yourself, this isn’t going to be something grad rec can easily update or remember. Do remember it in future applications though!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Can anyone explain how DWF's IPO and new resulting business structure has affected their business in a positive way? I understand that a lot of the employees are shareholders so that serves as incentive, but I am not sure what else is great?
Its often easier to manage investment in a public company, rather than a partnership model. It has allowed DWF to make some large acquisitions which it probably wouldn't have been able to under the old model. Partnerships are often quite risk averse, whereas companies tend to take bigger risks where there is a prospect for longer term success.

CareerChanger

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Any advice for non-law career changers doing ACs? Got invited to my first one yesterday. Do things like producing written advice/mock client interviews tend to require a lot of legal knowledge?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Any advice for non-law career changers doing ACs? Got invited to my first one yesterday. Do things like producing written advice/mock client interviews tend to require a lot of legal knowledge?
    As a non law graduate you won’t be expected to know technicalities of law, much more common sense of the issues that may come up from more of a commercial perspective.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Firms say that they don't but honestly, I think they do a bit. I had one last year where a client was requesting to know whether his overseas assets needed to be disclosed in family court proceedings. My instinct said yes, but I genuinely didn't know. So, that's what I wrote, saying I would check with a colleague and get back to them. When I asked Grad Rec for feedback when I was unsuccessful, they cited that not knowing that was my only negative and said it was only thing they could actually put their finger on - I was the last person to be cut from the list. I think that often when exercises are devised by people who pick up a lot of legal knowledge (either just from working in a firm or because they have legal qualifications), it's inevitable that occasionally they'll expect a level of legal knowledge without even recognising that they're requesting it.

However, in general, the ones I've done have needed commercial knowledge, client understanding and analytical skills more than anything else. You can't possibly learn everything law-related that might come up so I'd focus on those three skills.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Not a lot but often there will often be parts of contract law that you’ll be expected to know such as warranties, indemnities, the type of contracts e.g. SPAs and its content - I’m sure I’ve missed a few but do look through the forums there are heaps of case study advice :) good luck!!

edit - i should say you might be expected* depending on the type of case-study

Last edited:
    Reactions: AspiringSol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To clarify on my earlier point, there may be legal technicalities in an exercise, but the expectations of what you will know will be different if you are a non-law undergrad versus a LPC grad whose worked in the profession. Firms tend to adjust expectations based on your education and experience.

Polyglot

Star Member
    Jan 24, 2021
    What were your strengths and weaknesses if you don’t mind me asking ?
    I don't really want to talk about specifics on an open forum, but do feel free to PM me with your feedback and we can talk about my results as well.

My understanding of these tests is that they are designed to give 3 strengths and 1 weakness, but will not compare individuals against their cohort. Therefore, regardless of how well you performed in terms of matching the firm's requirements, you will always end up with 3 strengths and 1 weakness. The feedback will be individual to you. For example, if you score highly across the board, it may be that in your area of weakness you achieved a higher score than someone else, who had the same area marked as a strength, but scored low across the board.

Please feel free to correct me if I got the wrong end of the stick here.

MW110601

Star Member
    Aug 31, 2020
    Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience of my current situation.

I am a second year law student and this has been my first round of VS applications. I have applied for 5 schemes so far and already secured one VS for the Summer. I am so grateful for this opportunity, but as someone who is very critical of themselves I can't help but think this isn't enough and think that I need secure another, as I believe I can't just rely on the one VS to get me a TC. I also got through to VI stage for two firms but just received a rejection for one last night which is seriously making me doubt myself.

I know I should be proud and grateful for the one VS I already have, but does anyone have any advice of being in this situation where they are constantly thinking about the future and doubting their ability, rather than being proud of what they have achieved?

Not sure if I make any sense, I just feel like I'm constantly thinking about the next steps rather than being happy with the one VS that I have already achieved! It's like the human nature to constantly be striving for more and I don't think this mindset is doing me any good!

Rap Battle Black Guy GIF

Reactions: Jaysen and Helpme12345

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience of my current situation.

I am a second year law student and this has been my first round of VS applications. I have applied for 5 schemes so far and already secured one VS for the Summer. I am so grateful for this opportunity, but as someone who is very critical of themselves I can't help but think this isn't enough and think that I need secure another, as I believe I can't just rely on the one VS to get me a TC. I also got through to VI stage for two firms but just received a rejection for one last night which is seriously making me doubt myself.

I know I should be proud and grateful for the one VS I already have, but does anyone have any advice of being in this situation where they are constantly thinking about the future and doubting their ability, rather than being proud of what they have achieved?

Not sure if I make any sense, I just feel like I'm constantly thinking about the next steps rather than being happy with the one VS that I have already achieved! It's like the human nature to constantly be striving for more and I don't think this mindset is doing me any good!

Rap Battle Black Guy GIF
    It's good to think things through and have contingency plans but at the same time the process is full of highs and lows so its important to really make the most of the highs! It's great you've already got one VS and on your first cycle as well. Do what you can in securing another but you still have a fantastic opportunity this summer regardless.

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020

Rap Battle Black Guy GIF

Hey, you're already doing SO great! :D

As a 2nd year who applied for just 5 schemes and who clinched 1, you're already in the minority. So keep your head up!

I'm a third year who didn't apply for any schemes in my 2nd year because I wanted to hitchhike across Europe. I've thus far clinched one in my third year, and currently waiting for results from more! You have the winter season and even next year spring/summer to do so, so don't worry too much! Try to get the best out of your one scheme and make friends and learn as much as you can, and the right firm will open doors for you.

All the best!

Reactions: M0723 and Daniel Boden

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

Rap Battle Black Guy GIF
    Just to add to what others have said... if you end up having to apply for firms again next year, it's really not the end of the world. Of course it isn't ideal. But it's actually quite refreshing starting with a fresh slate. By which I mean that you get to reapply to top preference firms that rejected you. So even if you don't convert your VS into a TC, you still have plenty of time (and a lot of positives to build on).

Reactions: Daniel Boden and OH
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.