2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW110601

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
It's good to think things through and have contingency plans but at the same time the process is full of highs and lows so its important to really make the most of the highs! It's great you've already got one VS and on your first cycle as well. Do what you can in securing another but you still have a fantastic opportunity this summer regardless.

Hey, you're already doing SO great! :D

As a 2nd year who applied for just 5 schemes and who clinched 1, you're already in the minority. So keep your head up!

I'm a third year who didn't apply for any schemes in my 2nd year because I wanted to hitchhike across Europe. I've thus far clinched one in my third year, and currently waiting for results from more! You have the winter season and even next year spring/summer to do so, so don't worry too much! Try to get the best out of your one scheme and make friends and learn as much as you can, and the right firm will open doors for you.

All the best!

Just to add to what others have said... if you end up having to apply for firms again next year, it's really not the end of the world. Of course it isn't ideal. But it's actually quite refreshing starting with a fresh slate. By which I mean that you get to reapply to top preference firms that rejected you. So even if you don't convert your VS into a TC, you still have plenty of time (and a lot of positives to build on).

Omg I relate to this so hard! I'm a third year but as a second year law student last year I applied to like 6 ish firms and ended up securing 1 VS. I was so happy and wanted to be so grateful because I LOVED the firm but I kept on comparing myself to others in my year who'd secured 3 VS at massive corporate law firms and thinking 'I can't rest up now until I've got a TC!!' rather than being proud of the fact I was one of the few people I knew who managed to get one. Ultimately this attitude came to bite me in the butt because that company's recruitment got totally cancelled because of coronavirus and I got into an even worse mindset of 'if ONLY I'd gotten another one then I wouldn't be in this situation and maybe i'd have a TC right now'. But honestly looking at the makeup of my cohort this year, at an RG uni as well, I only know two people that secured training contracts last year. Having a VS is such a massive achievement especially at these early stages where most firms aren't even done making their offers yet!! I think it's good to be ambitious and have that drive because that's one of the things that's gonna get you to succeed in the future but make sure to take some time and sit back and realise how well you've done already and I'm sure you're gonna do even better once you're on that VS!!!

Thanks everyone for your messages and support! I think I've got to the point where my day revolves around waiting to hear back from firms and constantly checking on here, that I've got to the point of thinking that one VS offer is not enough and I am now so normalised to seeing people with multiple offers, that I began to feel that having one offer was not good enough. I know deep down that I worked my ass of for that one offer and I am working just as hard on the others, and if that leads to a PFO then that is just how it is.

All anyone can do is their best and if something is meant to be then it will be!

just keep swimming finding nemo GIF

Lawyer101

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 30, 2020
    Not sure if this helps but my AC isn’t until the end of the month, so they might wait til they’ve done all them.

I won’t be THAT GUY who asks you what questions were there, but I was wondering how far in advance do they told you about the format and logistics? I’ve had no information since my slot confirmation last week

Hey! Best of luck for your AC. I received confirmation of login details/structure of the day around 5 days before my AC. Pretty standard structure. Just expect a lot of people - there were 24 in total on my AC!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Adrian_Healey

anon101

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 2, 2020
    NRF Spring scheme offer 🥳 I have had so many rejections this cycle so this was such a relief. Happy to try and help anyone who has an AC coming up with them - drop me a message ☺️

Also got a spring vac scheme offer from NRF!!
    I got my call earlier too!! I’m crying. I had so many internet issues and it completely crashed before my partner interview that it had to be rescheduled but Im glad it worked out in the end. 😭💕 Thanks for all the help I received on this forum. Looking forward to meeting you guys on the scheme, would love to get to connect with you both before the scheme if you’re up for it (just dm me any time)!😁

Polyglot

Star Member
    Jan 24, 2021

Thanks everyone for your messages and support! I think I've got to the point where my day revolves around waiting to hear back from firms and constantly checking on here, that I've got to the point of thinking that one VS offer is not enough and I am now so normalised to seeing people with multiple offers, that I began to feel that having one offer was not good enough. I know deep down that I worked my ass of for that one offer and I am working just as hard on the others, and if that leads to a PFO then that is just how it is.

All anyone can do is their best and if something is meant to be then it will be!

just keep swimming finding nemo GIF
    Congratulations on your VS offer - amazing news!

I would also just add to all of the excellent advice that I tend to do a simple check-in with myself when my thoughts start running away with me. I think I may have even read about this on here, so apologies for lack of credit.

I am in a very similar position to you, but I am on my first application cycle as a career changer. 5 applications, 1 PFO, 1 VS invite so far; at various stages in the process with the others. I keep reminding myself that just last week I would have given an arm and a leg for having a VS, and this week I found out that I have a place at the CMS Academy. Reminding myself I already have what I wanted so badly just last week really helps to stop me from always thinking about the things I do not have and have not yet secured.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.