2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
For Shearman, does it matter when you applied since they aren't rolling? I submitted deadline day but it seems like ACs are coming out for those that applied earlier.
No, someone on here applied on the deadline and got an interview so they’re definitely not looking at just earlier apps :)

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
It doesn't seem like they're following any particular order. I applied on the deadline but haven't heard yet either
Oops sorry that’s what I meant. So in regard to Matt’s question, it doesn’t matter when you applied. I applied few weeks before deadline and haven’t heard back either, hopefully soon though!

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Just a random post to share how grateful I am for this forum, especially on a day with two PFOs. It is SO nice knowing that you guys get this process and know the struggle of landing that one TC. Sometimes it's hard explaining this to fam/friends who think a CV, a cover letter and a good law degree should be all you need to succeed (which it is in some countries lol). Not sure how I'd stick to this process without being able to have these chats with you all ♥️ 🤝

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Your daily reminder to proofread, proofread, proofread: "swiftly" somehow ended up as "sexily" in one of my (thankfully unsubmitted...) answers

Good lord how quickly I would have been rejected :eek:
Coming To America Bar GIF

Emily K

Valued Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 29, 2018
Just a random post to share how grateful I am for this forum, especially on a day with two PFOs. It is SO nice knowing that you guys get this process and know the struggle of landing that one TC. Sometimes it's hard explaining this to fam/friends who think a CV, a cover letter and a good law degree should be all you need to succeed (which it is in some countries lol). Not sure how I'd stick to this process without being able to have these chats with you all ♥️ 🤝

Relate to this sooo much! I might have given up long ago had people on this forum not inspired me to keep going despite all the rejections, and reminded me that it IS possible to get that TC! Hope you hear good news soon, this process is hard but you can do it!! ☺️

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Does anyone know why it is important to know about a law firms clients? How may it come up in interviews
Hiya!

I'd say its quite important as fundamentally clients are the central focus of law firms. So the type of clients a firm has will have a huge impact in the type of work they do, in the areas and locations they open offices, it may even have a role in influencing the firm's in-office culture and things like pro-bono priorities.

As for how it may come up, I think it may come up either directly (e.g. if the firm is known for having its client base concentrated within a particular industry) or indirectly (e.g. when discussing the challenges faced by the legal industry or the impact of COVID-19)
In the latter examples, it helps to have a good understanding of the firm's client base, so you can offer a more detailed response as to how those particular companies are affected and thus how the firm/legal industry has been affected as a result e.g. an increased demand certain practice areas, a greater focus on tech & innovation etc.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: TR17

aspiringlawyer004

Nov 8, 2020
I wonder if this is just a particularly competitive cycle (the rejection emails seem to say as much) or if it will be much the same next year. Contemplating whether to keep going in the event I do not pick something up :rolleyes:
For what it's worth I had an interview today and they said they received significantly more applications this year than in previous years.

Don't give up!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I got a question that I don't know how to phrase to sorry.

I recently attended a law firm fair with White and Case. They said that they look at the application as a whole and if you don't meet the A Level requirements of AAB you can still apply as we look at the application as a whole. As I don't meet those A-Level requirements but am on course to achieve a 2.1 in my degree with achieving 1st in 3rd year of my law degree. I wanted to ask should I still consider White and Case application. I know law firms use the Rare Recruitment contextual thing so I wanted to know what do people think of this. What do you think @Jessica Booker have you ever seen someone one with not meeting A Level requirements with no mitigating circumstances progressed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.