CMS application

a-858

Sep 20, 2018
I'm applying for the CMS first year programme and looking for some insight into what others would discuss in the following question In 200 words, what do you see as the key drivers of the business of law?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful

Reactions: P. Dybala

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I previously expressed to another student how vague I find this question.

Is there any other guidance on the form? What do you both interpret this question to mean?

P. Dybala

Star Member
    Aug 2, 2018
    I previously expressed to another student how vague I find this question.

Is there any other guidance on the form? What do you both interpret this question to mean?

The other two questions are related to the future of legal profession like in terms of the advancement of tech.

These are the other two questions

In 200 words, what do you think will be the impact on law firms of the continuing advances in technology?

In 200 words, what are the key skills or attributes you will need to possess as a lawyer in the future?

P. Dybala

Star Member
    Aug 2, 2018
    Its obvious they want us to somehow talk about AI and their legal centres and all of this tech as being/or becoming the main driver?

That's my initial thought but even then I am confused as to the driver bit.

SameerS

Star Member
    Jul 30, 2018
    I was genuinely unable to answer it. Although I found it easier to answer the other two questions.

What did you say about the skills in the future part? Because the question in essence in my opinion isn’t asking about your normal core skills, it’s about lawyers becoming digitally accustomed to the changes

Would love to hear your approach on this question @Ahmed858

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I'm applying for the CMS first year programme and looking for some insight into what others would discuss in the following question In 200 words, what do you see as the key drivers of the business of law?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful

Agree with @Jaysen that this is very vague.

Business of law=law firms? So my take on this is perhaps to think about how law firms will grow. How will they stay competitive. How will they maintain success. What can they do to make sure this happens. So as @P.Dybala has said AI/tech...
    Unless other disagree, I don’t think it’s a direct how will we stay competitive type question, so I would try not to fall into that trap.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I believe the question is intentionally broad. They want you to work out what you think they mean by the business of law, and then explain its drivers. I'm not convinced there is a "right" answer here, unless you go very off topic.

@AJ has said the business of law could mean law firms, which I agree is a very reasonably interpretation.

Whatever you choose, you should be specific in your answers.

For example, if you were writing about what makes law firms grow, you might consider:
    • Opening up offices
    • Increased marketing
    • Cutting fee rates/alternative fee arrangements
    • New practice areas
    • Mergers/Alliances
    • Lateral hires
    Then, for each reason you choose, write about how it would impact the revenue of a law firm.

a-858

Sep 20, 2018
    What did you say about the skills in the future part? Because the question in essence in my opinion isn’t asking about your normal core skills, it’s about lawyers becoming digitally accustomed to the changes

Would love to hear your approach on this question @Ahmed858

Apologies for the late reply. My approach after reading must be wrong, I'm going to be focusing on the latter part of your answer.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Apologies for the late reply. My approach after reading must be wrong, I'm going to be focusing on the latter part of your answer.

In case you have already drafted an answer -- your approach may not be wrong. The question is intentionally broad, so you can have alternative interpretations of the question e.g. what drives legal markets etc.

Reactions: Salma

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I agree with Jaysen - the question is broad so there’s no set way to answer. It takes me to back in the day when we had broad long form essays questions and we were told to introduce our particular angle/interpretation of the question in the introduction which we were going to discuss.

Any answer is going to be a good answer if you can be persuasive.

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    As a starter, perhaps find out first the 'business' of law, i.e., how does a law firm operate as a business first and foremost.

Law firms offer a service to clients, albeit at a high price. However, those services are offered (traditionally) by its people (lawyers, paralegals, LA etc), and like any other business, its the people that make it successful.

With this in mind, you should try and identify the trends in the legal market. At present, one major trend - in my opinion - is the overwhelming evolution of legal services from the purely bespoke to the commoditised. Given this, the 'business of law', especially for firms like CMS, must undoubtedly adapt to this changing legal market or risk being left behind.

From here, you can try and implement what Jaysen has mentioned above Re: opening new offices, new technology, lateral hires etc...

Goodluck!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: P. Dybala, Salma and aaron22

Ollie

Standard Member
    Nov 29, 2018
    Hi all,

Probably a bit late here, but might help. I've just been invited to an AC at CMS, but also struggled with this question initially. This article was hugely helpful:
    https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1062&context=mbelr.
    If I had any advice, it would be that 'drivers' can be really whatever you want, as long as you specifically relate these factors to how the business of law is changing. By business, I took it to mean 'how it is conducted'. Globalisation is heavily focused on in the above article, and in light of CMS' global presence thats a good one to look at. The same goes for mergers, given CMS' recent news. Technology is definitely a key factor, although as the third Q focuses specifically on technology, save your words and show your knowledge on tech in that question.

Happy to answer any Qs about CMS further, although I haven't done the AC yet!

Thanks.

Edit: regardless of whether you're applying to CMS or not, I found that article really interesting and helpful, would recommend to anyone trying to get in to law or in law already!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Probably a bit late here, but might help. I've just been invited to an AC at CMS, but also struggled with this question initially. This article was hugely helpful:
    https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1062&context=mbelr.
    If I had any advice, it would be that 'drivers' can be really whatever you want, as long as you specifically relate these factors to how the business of law is changing. By business, I took it to mean 'how it is conducted'. Globalisation is heavily focused on in the above article, and in light of CMS' global presence thats a good one to look at. The same goes for mergers, given CMS' recent news. Technology is definitely a key factor, although as the third Q focuses specifically on technology, save your words and show your knowledge on tech in that question.

Happy to answer any Qs about CMS further, although I haven't done the AC yet!

Thanks.

Edit: regardless of whether you're applying to CMS or not, I found that article really interesting and helpful, would recommend to anyone trying to get in to law or in law already!

Wow, agreed - that's a fantastic article. I'll add it to our recommended reading list.

Reactions: Ollie

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.