Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMF_II

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Something I’ve noticed this year after having taken a break from apps and Watson Glazer, is that a lot of questions are repeated. Both from practice tests and between different firms. So spend some time after the practice test going back over the questions to understand why you chose the answer you did, what you’d choose next time, etc along with the reasoning.

Completely agree with AJ’s comment here. In a test I took recently, I recognised 80% of the questions from other tests I had done before! And I’m not applying for 20 firms or anything like that.

It’s very important when you practice to recognise the common “tricks” in each type of question. For example, for the “evaluation of arguments” questions (strong vs weak arguments), they regularly “trick” your brain by giving you an argument that sounds strong, but the topic doesn’t quite match what the question addresses. For example, the question asks “Should X policy be implemented to improve public health?”. If the argument is “Yes, because X is better than the current policy and will help our country save £1 bn” then it’s weak, because it doesn’t address the topic of the question (public health).

Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: AJ and Salma

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I am impressed by people who manage to complete the Macfarlanes app. So long!
    Haha I imagine the reason it is so long is because of the fact that they don't have any other rounds of recruitment. Literally just an app and then an AC so that probably explains the detail & length of the app!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Haha I imagine the reason it is so long is because of the fact that they don't have any other rounds of recruitment. Literally just an app and then an AC so that probably explains the detail & length of the app!

It's also a good way of weeding out candidates who aren't as committed to the firm. I liked Macfarlanes, but I figured I could send off two other applications in the time it would take me to apply.

EZ_D

• Nov 27, 2018
    For those who have completed Clifford Chance's Watson Glaser Test--may I ask how long did it take for you to receive a test invite?

I have just submitted my application and the automatic email states that test invite will be sent out within the next two working days. Yet, the deadline for completing the test is 9am on 18th December, which makes me a bit worried (should have submitted it earlier!)

Any help is much appreciated :)

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    For those who have completed Clifford Chance's Watson Glaser Test--may I ask how long did it take for you to receive a test invite?

I have just submitted my application and the automatic email states that test invite will be sent out within the next two working days. Yet, the deadline for completing the test is 9am on 18th December, which makes me a bit worried (should have submitted it earlier!)

Any help is much appreciated :)

I sent my app on the 10th, I got the test invite on the 11th, I completed the test on the 14th (morning) and got a confirmation email that I passed on the same day (evening). I hope this helps :)

Reactions: EZ_D

Akky123

Nov 10, 2018
    In my experience with Links last year, my application was also screened before the deadline, but my interview took place after the deadline.

That's consistent with the information they provide on their graduate recruitment website - so while they don't 'interview' on a rolling basis, I think it's fair to say they do 'recruit' on a rolling basis (check their choice of words!).

They are only 'non-rolling' in the sense that all interviews are scheduled and TC/VS offers made after the deadline. So actually...you would still want to get your application in early - logically you would have a better chance of getting an earlier interview slot/job offer if your application was screened earlier!

View attachment 497

I think they may reserve rejections until after the deadline but sent interview dates beforehand.

Likely conjecture

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    White & Case video interview was really hard - I blanked out on the second part of my second question... Got asked - what is the objective of the international seat; what are the changes in the legal market that will affect the firm; what is the greatest challenge you have overcome. I feel like I will never become good enough in these video interviews...

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    White & Case video interview was really hard - I blanked out on the second part of my second question... Got asked - what is the objective of the international seat; what are the changes in the legal market that will affect the firm; what is the greatest challenge you have overcome. I feel like I will never become good enough in these video interviews...
    Those questions are brutal man :eek:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Those are very tough questions, especially for a video interview format under time pressure. If it's any consolation, every student will find those questions difficult. I imagine they're just looking to see whether you can stay composed and give a logical answer.

Reactions: gricole and Daniel Boden

alex_cole987

Sep 10, 2018
    Hi Everyone,

I have just been invited to the Kirkland & Ellis Video Interview. Historically I have always struggled on the video interview stage and was wondering if anyone had any tips?

So far I have prepared for:
    - Why Law
    - Why K&E
    - Standard Competency Questions
    - A story in the press
    - General private equity knowledge

Any further help would be much appreciated.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Salma

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018

I feel the same! This came up as my first question and it knocked my confidence for the whole video interview. Nonetheless, good luck and I hope you get through to the next stage!

Reactions: gricole

datguyak

Esteemed Member
    Nov 20, 2018
    did anyone complete the WG test for CC and then a few hours later get an email saying invite do to watson glaser (again?) bit wary because when I follow the link on the second email it says already completed but I heard that people generally find out on the same day whether they have passed the test or not and I havent heard anything yet and deadline is tomorrow 9 am

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Yes I completed it two weeks, on the top of my head, the VI consisted of five questions:

1. Tell me about yourself
    2. A favourite business you admire and talk about why you admire it, the opportunities and risks for the business
    3. A question relating to ambition or colleagity and how you have demonstrated it l/the importance of it
    4. A question relating to challenge/ how do you challenge people and would you feel comfortable doing so?
    5. Why are you interested in law and what will you be doing as a trainee solicitor day to day

You have 30 secs to prepare and 1 minute, 30 seconds to answer the question

I hope the above helps somehow! Good luck.
    Hi Salma,

With question 5, did they want to hear what you knew about what a trainee does day-to-day? Is this just testing your knowledge?

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    did anyone complete the WG test for CC and then a few hours later get an email saying invite do to watson glaser (again?) bit wary because when I follow the link on the second email it says already completed but I heard that people generally find out on the same day whether they have passed the test or not and I havent heard anything yet and deadline is tomorrow 9 am
    I got a second invitation today, following receiving it yesterday. Did you do the test today? Might just be them automatically sending out a reminder of sorts

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.