2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    hi everyone! I was just wondering if law firms look at grades really strictly. I've consistently been getting 2:1s but at the lower range so 62-65 and I wonder if that will affect me negatively or are grades just viewed in a way I'll be fine as long as I meet the 2:1 benchmark?

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    hi everyone! I was just wondering if law firms look at grades really strictly. I've consistently been getting 2:1s but at the lower range so 62-65 and I wonder if that will affect me negatively or are grades just viewed in a way I'll be fine as long as I meet the 2:1 benchmark?

Depends on the firm. Certain firms care more about grades e.g. Slaughter 'and' May whereas others just care about the 2:1. For reference, I have a 54 in contract law but that hasn't stopped me from getting ACs because I have a 2:1 overall.

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Depends on the firm. Certain firms care more about grades e.g. Slaughter 'and' May whereas others just care about the 2:1. For reference, I have a 54 in contract law but that hasn't stopped me from getting ACs because I have a 2:1 overall.

Thank you! I was just worried because even though I have consistently scored 2:1 (albeit on the lower end), I barely have any firsts in my module! Just thought that will be a concern. But thank you so much for the clarification, definitely eases my worries.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I wanted an opinion on this also like if you have a 2.2 in second or third year and you average a 2.1 overall in your degree will you be a weaker candidate and lead to rejection mainly for US and MC firms I think @Jessica Booker will be the best to answer this if possible.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    I wanted an opinion on this also like if you have a 2.2 in second or third year and you average a 2.1 overall in your degree will you be a weaker candidate and lead to rejection mainly for US and MC firms I think @Jessica Booker will be the best to answer this if possible.
    I have such a range of grades (49% to 84%, however a 2.1 in both years) and have had ACs with MC and US firms whilst also having a VS last year! So it really depends more on the individual firm rather than the group!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Grades are definitely looked at closely.

A overall 2.2 in your second or third year will not be ideal. Occasional module is fine, but a 2.2 average in a year will be a concern for many firms, even if you did average a 2.1 by the end of your degree.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Dheepa, Daniel Boden and JoNo

MikSoroko

Feb 11, 2021
    I don't necessarily agree - I lean towards the view that firms look at your applications holistically.

For instance - I didn't do too well in one of my public law modules last year, and it dragged my grade down to a low 2.1, whereas I did well on the rest of them, namely contract, criminal and tort which I presume are the more important ones for some firms. I don't feel like it has hindered me, and I seem to be doing better with US firms which tend to have more stringent academic requirements.

So I think firstly, sometimes it depends on which module you have done poorly in, but also the quality of the rest of your application, how well you score on the tests/WG etc.

Reactions: MandyAA
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.