Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office
On a Monday morning too.
Sassy Over It GIF by Nickelodeon

• Haha
Reactions: Ricky and Dheepa

CL218

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2021
Congrats!! I completed the VS there last year so I'm happy to give any advice on the AC!! :)
I have the 'Open Day'/Assessment Centre coming up so any advice would be amazing. Specifically, it would be very helpful to know whether there is an interview portion of the day, what the group task and written exercise actually entail, and any tips for success? Thank you in advance :)

MizM

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
Hi all, I am looking for some advice please. In the long run, I want to secure a TC at a MC/US firm. I have applications from this cycle that I am still waiting on but I am, admittedly, planning for most to be rejected. This is my first cycle and I have yet to secure a VS. Given my long-term aspirations, would securing any VS (e.g. from smaller national firms) be helpful for me at the moment or would MC/US firms 'look down' on it?

I personally believe any experience is better than no experience but law firms could see it differently. I would appreciate your insight on the matter :) Thank you!

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    It's the beginning of a new week chaps. Good luck with all the apps and here's to us all getting some kind of positive response from the firms we have left. This has been a very difficult cycle for many of us, but the important thing is to keep your eye on the prize! It will all lead somewhere in the end.
    Sounds like we are going off to war ahhaha

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Hi all, I am looking for some advice please. In the long run, I want to secure a TC at a MC/US firm. I have applications from this cycle that I am still waiting on but I am, admittedly, planning for most to be rejected. This is my first cycle and I have yet to secure a VS. Given my long-term aspirations, would securing any VS (e.g. from smaller national firms) be helpful for me at the moment or would MC/US firms 'look down' on it?

I personally believe any experience is better than no experience but law firms could see it differently. I would appreciate your insight on the matter :) Thank you!
    I don't think they would look down on it; any legal experience would be greatly valued, considering how hard it is to obtain. I would just make sure the national firm is commercially focused, as that's what the MC/US firms focus on. I would also say be prepared (at interviews) to justify why you are interested in such large, international firms if you undertook work experience at a smaller firm.

But definitely go for it - you might even end up preferring it to MC/US firms :)

Reactions: Hugh Jarse and MizM

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

You're right on the any experience is good experience point. No firm will look at a VS at a different firm as a bad thing. I don't think securing a VS is necessarily any easier at smaller national firms than it is at US/MC firms however. If your goal is to be at a US/MC firm then you should focus on making good quality apps to these firms. If you feel like you lack legal work experience, you don't need a VS to secure a TC with MC/US firms. Any legal work experience at smaller high street firms will count for just as much as long as the work you're doing and the things your learning are substantive. Hope that helps! ☺️

Reactions: MizM

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    What “supporting documentation” do people offer if you need adjustments in an AC and you have a physical disability? I haven’t been in uni for a while and don’t actually know how to find confirmation that I received extra time in exams. Would my PIP letter suffice?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    What “supporting documentation” do people offer if you need adjustments in an AC and you have a physical disability? I haven’t been in uni for a while and don’t actually know how to find confirmation that I received extra time in exams. Would my PIP letter suffice?
    I would send the uni stuff if it's chronic and/or any medical letters if you are comfortable. Don't let a firm make you feel uncomfortable - send what you are happy with. They accommodate you, not the other way round. ☺️

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    I would send the uni stuff if it's chronic and/or any medical letters if you are comfortable. Don't let a firm make you feel uncomfortable - send what you are happy with. They accommodate you, not the other way round. ☺️
    I totally agree with this!!!❤️ I sent my extra time plan to one firm which was enough for them to grant me the extra time due to my disability, I had additional supporting evidence but I didn’t feel comfortable sharing that part

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I totally agree with this!!!❤️ I sent my extra time plan to one firm which was enough for them to grant me the extra time due to my disability, I had additional supporting evidence but I didn’t feel comfortable sharing that part
    Thanks, guys! My issue is that I don’t know where to find my extra time plan from uni because it was years ago and I stupidly didn’t think I’d ever need it again.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalmel_99
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.