2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
how much less competitive is it to apply for city firms regional offices (Leeds/Manchester etc) instead of London?
That would really depend on the firm. But bare in mind that while there may be less applicants (although not necessarily) there are also far fewer places available. In some cases, it's likely more competitive than in London, where opportunities are far more saturated.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Does anyone know if firms are more likely to offer TCs for certain vac schemes? For instance are they more likely to give you a TC if you do the summer scheme instead of the spring scheme. I have a place on the HSF spring scheme but am worried they won't be offering many TCs from it.
    I don't think it's down to when, I think it's down to your performance quality and the competition in your cohort.

If you are a great candidate, they won't deny you a TC just cause you're on a spring.

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Fladgate PFO. No explanation as to whether its the application or Watson Glaser test score

me too :( must be the WG since we were shortlisted following the app
    Me too. Really confused as I have also applied for a paralegal role with them - passed the test + had my first paralegal interview and have already been invited for a second interview!

• 🏆
    Reactions: C

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Me too. Really confused as I have also applied for a paralegal role with them - passed the test + had my first paralegal interview and have already been invited for a second interview!
    Honestly think it was down to numbers more than the quality of application & Watson Glaser score. You could have 200 perfect candidates but there's still only 10-odd spaces? Any way to thin the herd probably won't feel fair

Lol try to stay positive for your second-stage interview and best of luck!. Despite this, they do look a fantastic firm to work with!

Reactions: Penelope

RARodle

• Feb 3, 2021
    For anyone who's done the WBD app, have you chosen a topic that you can relate directly to the firm? It's the only Q so obviously I want to try and show that I know the firm but I can only think of an answer that doesn't specifically relate to any of their sectors. I'm still planning to relate it back to the firm but I'm not sure I'm going in the right direction. (Sorry that was super windy lol)
    Hey - when writing my answer I've been making sure to pull out pieces that I can relate to WBD, and I reckon you can do it with pretty much anything. The obvious part is linking how your chosen business/person's style of innovation and/or business strategy links with the firm's ethos. Just have a think about what makes WBD innovative, what do they really focus on - then try and see how your chosen business/person aligns with that.

I'm not relating every little bit back to WBD, just the parts that seem relevant! they are mainly asking about the innovation aspect of it.

kat_

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    Hiya!

I don't think this is a stupid question at all!
    From my own personal experiences, I think recruiters who view tc apps look for more certainty regarding your motivations for a career in commercial law at that firm. This is because unlike a vac scheme, which creates an opportunity for both you and the firm to gain a better insight into each other, a direct tc is a bit more permanent so to speak. Therefore, I personally don't see anything wrong with applying at all but rather its all about how you structure your app to show that you are confident and certain with regards to motivations in applying for a tc at that firm.

Hope this helps ☺️
    Thank you so much!!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Does this mean those on the easter insight programme (2 days in april) can't apply for the TC this year (for the TC starting 2023)? Bit confused about Fieldfisher's application process at the mo ngl!
    If you applied for the Summer Scheme in the 2019- 2020 cycle and were successful, but got postponed to 2021 then you can apply for the 2021 Training Contract cycle for a 2023 start London or 2022 start elsewhere. If you applied during the 2020-21 cycle for a Summer Scheme then you can't apply for a Training Contract until next cycle.
    It makes zero sense at all as a recruitment strategy in my opinion - why exclusively hire people who are not on your vacation scheme? #odd

Reactions: Lawsm21

hamza alam

Dec 28, 2020
    hello! if i'm doing a three year law course and am currently in my penultimate year, should I apply for direct TCs this year or do most firms expect you to be in your final year?
    you can apply to a TC without detriment, most firms allow u to apply for a VS and a TC simultaneously. Im planning to apply to TCs myself from April as a penultimate, however we wont have the experience and credentials of those inthrid year or graduates, so we have to do excellent, neer perfect apps

• 🤝
    Reactions: lawstudent12345

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    you can apply to a TC without detriment, most firms allow u to apply for a VS and a TC simultaneously. Im planning to apply to TCs myself from April as a penultimate, however we wont have the experience and credentials of those inthrid year or graduates, so we have to do excellent, neer perfect apps
    Thank you! and if I apply in my final year, that would be for TCs commencing in 2024? Or are they willing to let you start earlier, since I'll be graduating in 2022

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    I'm post-AC (Guildford) and haven't heard either :-/ They said they would get back to us by the end of Feb, so hopefully we will hear back this week.
    Hi all. Sorry I haven't been on here much as I have just started a new job so things are a bit hectic! I was wondering if anyone has heard from Penningtons post-AC (London office)?
    They were still running ACs at the start of this week. I think yesterday’s was the last.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.