Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
Only 10 this cycle- trying to 'tailor my applications' but I guess that failed
The problem it’s hard to really know which firms you’re well suited to. I’ve ended up with 5 or 6 interviews so far (with one vac scheme in the bag) from firms with a common thread - elite US firms with small trainee intakes. I would not have chosen to apply to most of these firms had I only applied to 10. To give an idea, I applied to like 30 firms in the month of January alone (completing my degree online allowed me to essentially spend all day tailoring my apps and then getting them out at the end of the day). But yeah it was brutal, between Jan 30 and Jan 31 I submitted 5 apps and I honestly think they were very well tailored

• 🏆
Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    This is the same issue I've had. I have taken people's previously successful apps and used it as a structure and I've reached out to people on LinkedIn etc etc. I feel like I am doing everything possible and even when my apps are similar to previously successful ones- I still get rejected.

For reference, I also have an academic record of 11a* at gcse 3a* at A level and one of the highest 1st in my year at UG (non-law), yet I've still never passed the first stage.
    I think it’s important to remember that what makes a successful application isn’t some magic formula but a deep understanding of what motivates you personally. In other words, the apps that stand out, stand out because they are uniquely tailored to your writing style, your experiences, and how that led to your interest in X firm and commercial law.

This isn’t to say your applications aren’t tailored to you - I just want to emphasise to those struggling that the best way to get ahead is to take a step back and make the application your own!

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Also received rejections from w&c (spring vs) and macfarlanes (vs) within the space of 10 minutes 😂

But through to the Stephenson written assessment! 😊

This process is definitely very up and down but will be worth it in the end 🙌🤞
    Thank you so much for always being so positive, it honestly makes me feel more positive ! X

• Love
    Reactions: Holly and Bugsy Malone

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    That is super helpful and definitely true. I am actually already volunteering on 3 pro bono projects while completing my GDL, as well as having completed 2 previous legal work experience roles. Sorry- I probably sound negative right now but I am just feeling soooo demoralised. I think this is still a good approach to keep trying in the future.
    I completely get it, don't apologise! If it makes you feel better, I was in your exact position last year. I had legal work experience and was an active volunteer during the GDL but I just didn't have the time or headspace to put everything into my applications, which went nowhere. This year, without the GDL stress, I took my time writing applications and actually learned how to effectively utilise my experiences, rather than just stating what I did. I definitely think my successes have come from having time to reflect on what those experiences really meant to me and how they informed my career choice - during the GDL its so easy to fall into that frenzied mindset of wanting a TC ASAP, but a more measured and mindful approach this year has really helped.

Another piece of advice I got from two unrelated people is that they found their applications went further once they finished the GDL. To quote one of them outright, she said "it had really opened doors". Again, take this with a pinch of salt, but I've found the same thing. It could be down to so many factors, e.g. as mentioned above the GDL is a very busy and stressful year, but don't think just because you don't secure a VS during the GDL that it's all over... far from it!

BiancaR

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    I'm so sorry if this is a bit of a ignorant question, but do direct TC applications differ significantly from VS applications? Does anyone know if they generally more/less competitive (I've heard both). I have a bit of legal experience (mostly volunteering in courts, some work-shadowing at an international firm) but am not sure if this will be enough for a TC application?

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    I completely get it, don't apologise! If it makes you feel better, I was in your exact position last year. I had legal work experience and was an active volunteer during the GDL but I just didn't have the time or headspace to put everything into my applications, which went nowhere. This year, without the GDL stress, I took my time writing applications and actually learned how to effectively utilise my experiences, rather than just stating what I did. I definitely think my successes have come from having time to reflect on what those experiences really meant to me and how they informed my career choice - during the GDL its so easy to fall into that frenzied mindset of wanting a TC ASAP, but a more measured and mindful approach this year has really helped.

Another piece of advice I got from two unrelated people is that they found their applications went further once they finished the GDL. To quote one of them outright, she said "it had really opened doors". Again, take this with a pinch of salt, but I've found the same thing. It could be down to so many factors, e.g. as mentioned above the GDL is a very busy and stressful year, but don't think just because you don't secure a VS during the GDL that it's all over... far from it!
    This is such an encouraging post. I feel so worried because I feel like the GDL is the year I desperately NEED to secure one and if I haven't, it has all been a waste but your perspective is really useful and great. If its ok, I may private message you to gain some additional insight into your experience?

I am glad you also found the same thing. Sometimes this forum feels full of success from people younger than me which makes me doubt my own ability, so this is a slither of hope !

Thanks so much :)

Reactions: Victoria R

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I think it’s important to remember that what makes a successful application isn’t some magic formula but a deep understanding of what motivates you personally. In other words, the apps that stand out, stand out because they are uniquely tailored to your writing style, your experiences, and how that led to your interest in X firm and commercial law.

This isn’t to say your applications aren’t tailored to you - I just want to emphasise to those struggling that the best way to get ahead is to take a step back and make the application your own!

I think this is so key. Most applicants start off by taking inspiration from other successful applicants. Do this too much and it often leads to answers that aren't 'bad', but they're unremarkable and impersonal. The answers end up sounding like everyone else's, and when a firm can only select a very small percentage to invite to interview, it probably doesn't make the cut.

The good thing about learning application technique is it can fast-track your understanding of how to write a 'good' application. To write a great one, I think you have to think very deeply about your motivations and experiences, and then learn to sell those experiences in a way that feels authentic.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021

Another question on this- did you take time between the GDL and LPC? I am in two minds about what to do when I finish in April and where to go from there.

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Another question on this- did you take time between the GDL and LPC? I am in two minds about what to do when I finish in April and where to go from there.

I did, yeah! I finished the GDL this summer and just really felt I hadn't given the applications a proper go. Especially with Corona I thought it was the right thing for me to take time and commit myself fully to the app process. It's been stressful and occasionally pretty unpleasant having nothing to do except applications, but having secured a vac scheme I definitely feel it was worth it - hindsight is a beautiful thing! 🤣

On the other hand I know lots of people who went straight into the LPC and it seems to be working out really well. Ultimately just take the summer to think about what you want to do and what's best for your specific situ, although obviously a lot could happen between now and then. Happy to talk more over PM if you need any more advice :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.