2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Anyone have any general advice for group exercises for assessment centres? Mostly unsure how this will differ given it is online / I am more worried for it as it is on a video call
    Check my assessed negotiation article below (accessible via my signature) as I discuss teamwork tasks and team roles/ dynamic quite extensively which may help you.

Last edited:

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    Hello! I have an interview soon and one of more noteworthy things about this firm is that it is global. However I was listening to applications advice from a graduate recruitment officer recently and she mentioned that simply saying a firm is 'global' is not good enough in explaining "why this firm", because many firms are global. Can anyone help me to understand what exactly it is about having international offices that makes being 'global' so attractive? The officer mentioned things like the fact that the breadth of network means that you have a 'friend' in every office so there is more sharing of information. she also mentioned fully integrated services

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hello! I have an interview soon and one of more noteworthy things about this firm is that it is global. However I was listening to applications advice from a graduate recruitment officer recently and she mentioned that simply saying a firm is 'global' is not good enough in explaining "why this firm", because many firms are global. Can anyone help me to understand what exactly it is about having international offices that makes being 'global' so attractive? The officer mentioned things like the fact that the breadth of network means that you have a 'friend' in every office so there is more sharing of information. she also mentioned fully integrated services
    Which firm is it? I'm sure if you did some digging, you could find some other reasons why you'd want to apply. With regards to the global aspect, what is it about the global nature of a firm that makes you want to work there?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    What is interesting to you about working in an international firm? If your friend asked you why you want to work in an international firm instead of one that just focuses in the UK what would you say?

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020

How have your background and experiences shaped your ability to excel at an international firm specifically? What can you market about yourself? What are your USPs and how do they set you apart from the others applying for this same role?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It doesn’t really matter why other people find it attractive. It’s why YOU think it’s attractive. Rather than trying to answer questions with what you think they want to hear, make sure you sell your motivations.

Reactions: lawstudent12345

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Good luck this week everybody!!
    Lindsay Lohan Good Luck GIF

sberry1992

Apr 6, 2020
    I have one coming up! Not sure what to expect though as there is no interview, just exercises and Q&A
    I had an AC with them back in 2019. I was both an intense day but an enjoyable day. Intense more due to the fact that you're networking a lot of the day than that any of the tasks are difficult. It may well have changed since I did it but when I did there was a written task for an hour (easy stuff regarding advice a client relating to conduct etc.). There was a group exercise/rolled into a negotiation exercise which was good fun and got us talking about organising an event. This was then presented to the 'main group'. My advice is to be smiley, listen, and be prepared to take the initiative in group work. Feel free to ask any more questions and good luck!

• 🏆
    Reactions: LawGrad2019

lawgeek_301

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 1, 2020
    Does anyone know Winston & Strawn’s grad rec email address? I sent an email to ask about the outcome of my app to the same address I sent my app to, but got an automatic reply and I don’t think they check this address anymore. Is there any other?

losinghope

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 16, 2021
    Does anyone have any advice regarding the Ashurst games? Never done a games based assessment before😬
    No but for real they are very difficult to prepare for. I'd just try using an app like elevate before to get you used to that kind of thing. Emotify is easy its basically just matching pictures to the emotions but the cognify ones are a bit tricky especially if maths or problem-solving games like tetris aren't your thing.

Reactions: Polyglot

Sara Costa

Jan 13, 2021
    apologies if this is a dumb question, but this is my first application cycle and there's a lot i'm still learning!

is it quite common for firms to not send rejection emails? i'm a career changer, and in other industries it's quite common to just never hear back from companies when you apply, i was just wondering if it's the same for law

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    apologies if this is a dumb question, but this is my first application cycle and there's a lot i'm still learning!

is it quite common for firms to not send rejection emails? i'm a career changer, and in other industries it's quite common to just never hear back from companies when you apply, i was just wondering if it's the same for law
    Most firms will send a rejection email :)

Reactions: gg332dd and Sara Costa
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.